Treo 650 not compatible with "emerging European phone standard?" - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Treo 650 not compatible with "emerging European phone standard?" - Palmtop ; The last paragraph of this story makes this assertion, without providing any details. Anyone know about this? http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2006003,00.asp Funny thing. I was in Italy in July and I had no problem using my Treo 650 there. Even got to pick ...

  1. Treo 650 not compatible with "emerging European phone standard?"

    The last paragraph of this story makes this assertion, without
    providing any details. Anyone know about this?

    Funny thing. I was in Italy in July and I had no problem using my
    Treo 650 there. Even got to pick among different wireless services.

    Joe

  2. Re: Treo 650 not compatible with "emerging European phone standard?"

    In article ,
    Joe Average wrote:

    > The last paragraph of this story makes this assertion, without
    > providing any details. Anyone know about this?

    > Funny thing. I was in Italy in July and I had no problem using my
    > Treo 650 there. Even got to pick among different wireless services.
    >
    > Joe

    Actually it says, "In June, the company stopped shipping its Treo 650
    model in Europe because it was not compatible with a newly introduced
    phone technology standard."

    Don't know what that "standard" is but if it's newly introduced, it may
    not be widespread.

  3. Re: Treo 650 not compatible with "emerging European phone standard?"

    "Guy Bannis" wrote in message
    news:guy-471E33.22594102092006@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com ...
    > In article ,
    > Joe Average wrote:
    >
    >> The last paragraph of this story makes this assertion, without
    >> providing any details. Anyone know about this?

    >> Funny thing. I was in Italy in July and I had no problem using my
    >> Treo 650 there. Even got to pick among different wireless services.
    >>
    >> Joe

    > Actually it says, "In June, the company stopped shipping its Treo 650
    > model in Europe because it was not compatible with a newly introduced
    > phone technology standard."
    >
    > Don't know what that "standard" is but if it's newly introduced, it may
    > not be widespread.

    I've not read the article, but the Treo 650's GSM emission level is too high
    for the new European rules and PalmOne figured it wasn't worth doing
    anything about it, since there are newer models in the pipeline (this
    implies that the 700 and later models will have lower emissions...).

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  4. Re: Treo 650 not compatible with "emerging European phone standard?"

    On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 09:36:37 +0100, "DervMan"
    wrote:

    >I've not read the article, but the Treo 650's GSM emission level is too high
    >for the new European rules and PalmOne figured it wasn't worth doing
    >anything about it, since there are newer models in the pipeline (this
    >implies that the 700 and later models will have lower emissions...).

    Thanks.

    Does this mean that I will not be allowed to use my Treo 650 in EU
    countries? Yes, that seems far-fetched, but you never know with that
    fun crowd in Brussels.

    Will I need a "retrofit kit," like the older jet engines use to reduce
    noise emissions? ROTLMAO!

    Joe Average

  5. Re: Treo 650 not compatible with "emerging European phone standard?"

    "Joe Average" wrote in message
    newso3qf25frrj6m450remnd3cbh2vvb1fr7u@4ax.com...
    > On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 09:36:37 +0100, "DervMan"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I've not read the article, but the Treo 650's GSM emission level is too
    >>high
    >>for the new European rules and PalmOne figured it wasn't worth doing
    >>anything about it, since there are newer models in the pipeline (this
    >>implies that the 700 and later models will have lower emissions...).

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Does this mean that I will not be allowed to use my Treo 650 in EU
    > countries? Yes, that seems far-fetched, but you never know with that
    > fun crowd in Brussels.
    >
    > Will I need a "retrofit kit," like the older jet engines use to reduce
    > noise emissions? ROTLMAO!

    Using it is absolutely fine, importing after 31 May (or was it after the end
    of June) is illegal...

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  6. Re: Treo 650 not compatible with "emerging European phone standard?"

    Based on an article a few weeks ago in EE Times, I think that the
    problem is that the Treo 650 (and many other electronic devices) does
    not meet EU requirements regarding hazardous materials (the acronym was
    RoHS) used in the manufacture of the devices. IIRC, it had to do with
    lead-based solder.

    I don't think it has anything to do with GSM.

    e.g. see
    http://www.eedigest.com/rohs/Design-...ost-RoHS-world
    /

    Design priorities shift in a post-RoHS world
    25.08.2006 14:30 - Source: Green SupplyLine

    Almost two months after the European Union's ban on the use of six
    environmentally unfriendly materials went into effect, designers have
    clear evidence that failure to meet the Restriction of Hazardous
    Substances directive means lost sales.

    Palm Inc. recently announced that its Treo 650 smart phone is no longer
    being shipped to Europe, since it doesn't meet RoHS requirements. And
    several Apple Computer Inc. products will not be sold in Europe for the
    same reason. According to a June report in AppleInsider, they include
    the iSight Web camera, AirPort basestation with modem, AirPort
    basestation power-over-Ethernet and antenna, iPod Shuffle external
    battery pack, and all versions of the eMac all-in-one desktop computer.
    However, the latest-generation iPod, iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle all meet
    the RoHS regulations.

    Glenn Tenney KCTJ CISSP CISM
    The email address has been altered for display since spam
    is not allowed here, but you can figure it out...

  7. Re: Treo 650 not compatible with "emerging European phone standard?"

    "Glenn S. Tenney KCTJ CISSP CISM" wrote in message
    > Based on an article a few weeks ago in EE Times, I think that the
    > problem is that the Treo 650 (and many other electronic devices) does
    > not meet EU requirements regarding hazardous materials (the acronym was
    > RoHS) used in the manufacture of the devices. IIRC, it had to do with
    > lead-based solder.
    >
    > I don't think it has anything to do with GSM.

    Cool. There you go. Something was too high!

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

+ Reply to Thread