WiFi Encryption and TX - Palmtop

This is a discussion on WiFi Encryption and TX - Palmtop ; Just bought a new $300 TX and the damned thing won't connect to my home network via an encrypted WiFi connection. Palm wants me to BUY a $5.99 software update. That really ticks me off!! Anyone know a work-around or ...

  1. WiFi Encryption and TX

    Just bought a new $300 TX and the damned thing won't connect to my home
    network via an encrypted WiFi connection. Palm wants me to BUY a $5.99
    software update. That really ticks me off!!

    Anyone know a work-around or free hack?

    Doug

  2. Re: WiFi Encryption and TX

    On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 09:55:23 -0400, Douglas C. Neidermeyer wrote:

    > Just bought a new $300 TX and the damned thing won't connect to my home
    > network via an encrypted WiFi connection. Palm wants me to BUY a $5.99
    > software update. That really ticks me off!!
    >
    > Anyone know a work-around or free hack?

    My TX, with the latest WiFi updates from Palm, works fine at home and on
    the EAP-encrypted network at work.

    Even without the updates, the TX worked with WEP out of the box. So it
    sounds like the problem is your configuration.

  3. Re: WiFi Encryption and TX

    On 2006-09-02, Douglas C. Neidermeyer wrote:
    > Just bought a new $300 TX and the damned thing won't connect to my home
    > network via an encrypted WiFi connection. Palm wants me to BUY a $5.99
    > software update. That really ticks me off!!

    What kind of home network ???
    The $5.99 update is called "Wi-Fi Enterprise Security Update for the PalmŪ
    TX handheld", i.e for various corporate authentication methods (802.1x).
    WEP and WPA-PSK are supported out of the box.

    My TX connects happily to my LinkSys with WPA-PSK without any updates.

    Ton van Overbeek

  4. Re: WiFi Encryption and TX

    "Ranma" wrote in message
    newsan.2006.09.02.20.47.06.381386@dojo.org.jp...
    > On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 09:55:23 -0400, Douglas C. Neidermeyer wrote:
    >
    >> Just bought a new $300 TX and the damned thing won't connect to my home
    >> network via an encrypted WiFi connection. Palm wants me to BUY a $5.99
    >> software update. That really ticks me off!!
    >>
    >> Anyone know a work-around or free hack?

    > My TX, with the latest WiFi updates from Palm, works fine at home and on
    > the EAP-encrypted network at work.
    >
    > Even without the updates, the TX worked with WEP out of the box. So it
    > sounds like the problem is your configuration.

    I thought that at first too-- I use WPA2 encryption and it won't connect to
    that. If I buy that $5.99 update, it will though. Seems to me Palm is way
    out of line expecting me to pay an extra six bucks so their new software
    meets an encryption standard about a year old.

    Imagine Microsoft charging for every security update to Windows-- or your
    firewall or antivirus program or Turbo Tax charging to update the program
    right out of the box in a new install. Just ain't done in the computer
    business!!

    Doug

  5. Re: WiFi Encryption and TX

    "Ton van Overbeek" wrote in message
    > On 2006-09-02, Douglas C. Neidermeyer wrote:
    >> Just bought a new $300 TX and the damned thing won't connect to my home
    >> network via an encrypted WiFi connection. Palm wants me to BUY a $5.99
    >> software update. That really ticks me off!!
    >>

    > What kind of home network ???
    > The $5.99 update is called "Wi-Fi Enterprise Security Update for the PalmŪ
    > TX handheld", i.e for various corporate authentication methods (802.1x).
    > WEP and WPA-PSK are supported out of the box.
    >
    > My TX connects happily to my LinkSys with WPA-PSK without any updates.
    >
    > Ton van Overbeek

    I use WPA2- personal. I can get it to connect to WPA, just not WPA2...

    Doug

  6. Re: WiFi Encryption and TX

    In article ,
    "Douglas C. Neidermeyer" wrote:

    > "Ranma" wrote in message
    > newsan.2006.09.02.20.47.06.381386@dojo.org.jp...
    > > On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 09:55:23 -0400, Douglas C. Neidermeyer wrote:
    > >
    > >> Just bought a new $300 TX and the damned thing won't connect to my home
    > >> network via an encrypted WiFi connection. Palm wants me to BUY a $5.99
    > >> software update. That really ticks me off!!
    > >>
    > >> Anyone know a work-around or free hack?

    > > My TX, with the latest WiFi updates from Palm, works fine at home and on
    > > the EAP-encrypted network at work.
    > >
    > > Even without the updates, the TX worked with WEP out of the box. So it
    > > sounds like the problem is your configuration.
    > >

    > I thought that at first too-- I use WPA2 encryption and it won't connect to
    > that. If I buy that $5.99 update, it will though. Seems to me Palm is way
    > out of line expecting me to pay an extra six bucks so their new software
    > meets an encryption standard about a year old.
    >
    > Imagine Microsoft charging for every security update to Windows-- or your
    > firewall or antivirus program or Turbo Tax charging to update the program
    > right out of the box in a new install. Just ain't done in the computer
    > business!!

    You might have a point. Complaining on this newsgroup will not do any
    good though. Contact Palm and lodge a complaint.

  7. Re: WiFi Encryption and TX

    My TX also connects happily to my LinkSys with WPA-PSK without any updates.
    The only thing that I had to do on my router was to enable "B" since I had
    set my LinkSys router to only use the "G" standard. I also had to enter the
    MAC address into my LinkSys MAC filtering table.

    "Ton van Overbeek" wrote in message
    > On 2006-09-02, Douglas C. Neidermeyer wrote:
    > > Just bought a new $300 TX and the damned thing won't connect to my home
    > > network via an encrypted WiFi connection. Palm wants me to BUY a $5.99
    > > software update. That really ticks me off!!
    > >

    > What kind of home network ???
    > The $5.99 update is called "Wi-Fi Enterprise Security Update for the PalmŪ
    > TX handheld", i.e for various corporate authentication methods (802.1x).
    > WEP and WPA-PSK are supported out of the box.
    >
    > My TX connects happily to my LinkSys with WPA-PSK without any updates.
    >
    > Ton van Overbeek

  8. Re: WiFi Encryption and TX

    There are a couple of things I would check.

    1. The TX and LifeDrive do not work well with access points that are set up forb/g. I keep my router set to 'b' only and it works great.
    2. The WPA is flakey. I find for me it only works about 20% of the time. I use WEP, with SSID broadcasting turned off and MAC address authentication enabled.

    I use my TX with wi-fi every day with no problem. I am actually writing this response on my TX using Yanoff+ v3.2 at a public library.

    Ciao . . . C.Joseph

    And on the Seventh day, God said,
    "I will rest . . . Murphy take over."

  9. Re: WiFi Encryption and TX

    "C.Joseph Drayton" wrote in message
    There are a couple of things I would check.

    1. The TX and LifeDrive do not work well with access points that are set up
    for b/g. I keep my router set to 'b' only and it works great.
    2. The WPA is flakey. I find for me it only works about 20% of the time. I
    use WEP, with SSID broadcasting turned off and MAC address authentication
    enabled.

    I use my TX with wi-fi every day with no problem. I am actually writing this
    response on my TX using Yanoff+ v3.2 at a public library.

    Ciao . . . C.Joseph

    My experience with my TX is different - my router has always been set to b/g
    mode and never had a problem with it, so I haven't tried b only (haven't
    needed to - good job too - my laptop wireless card is g only). I also find
    the WPA works every time, though I seem to recall i needed to download some
    sort of update from microsoft for my version of XP home (this may not be
    relevant).
    Basically, wifi works fine on my TX and always has. (wish Blazer was more
    stable though)

    Cheers, Julian

  10. Re: WiFi Encryption and TX

    On 12 Sep 2006, C.Joseph Drayton wrote:

    > 1. The TX and LifeDrive do not work well with access points that
    > are set up for b/g. I keep my router set to 'b' only and it works
    > great.

    I have my access points set to b/g and they work fine (both Linksys
    WRT54gs). No problem accessing them with either the TX using b or my
    laptop using g.

    > 2. The WPA is flakey. I find for me it only works about 20%
    > of the time. I use WEP, with SSID broadcasting turned off and MAC
    > address authentication enabled.

    WPA also works fine on the WRT54gs with my TX. I've had no problem at
    all.

    I'm not denying what you've experienced, but there are lots of things
    that can cause wifi problems. I don't think it's the TX. Its wifi
    implementation seems to me to be pretty solid. (I'd say YMMV, but it
    obviously does! ;-)

    Dave

    --
    D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n
    t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m

  11. Re: WiFi Encryption and TX

    In message <45076557$0$75028$14726298@news.sunsite.dk> C.Joseph Drayton
    wrote:

    >There are a couple of things I would check.
    >
    >1. The TX and LifeDrive do not work well with access points that are set up for b/g. I keep my router set to 'b' only and it works great.
    >2. The WPA is flakey. I find for me it only works about 20% of the time. I use WEP, with SSID broadcasting turned off and MAC address authentication enabled.

    Your lack of SSID broadcasting might be part of the problem, SSID is a
    required part of the 802.11b spec.

    --
    Nobody ever suspects the butterfly.

  12. Re: WiFi Encryption and TX

    In article <45076557$0$75028$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>,
    C.Joseph Drayton wrote:

    > There are a couple of things I would check.
    >
    > 1. The TX and LifeDrive do not work well with access points that are set up
    > for b/g. I keep my router set to 'b' only and it works great.
    > 2. The WPA is flakey. I find for me it only works about 20% of the time. I
    > use WEP, with SSID broadcasting turned off and MAC address authentication
    > enabled.
    >
    > I use my TX with wi-fi every day with no problem. I am actually writing this
    > response on my TX using Yanoff+ v3.2 at a public library.

    I use my TX all the time with a b/g router and WPA. I haven't had any
    trouble with it. While I've had a number of open APs I couldn't access,
    none of them were ones were ones I KNEW I should be able to access.
    (There might have been MAC access restrictions or it was simply that the
    signal strength was too low).

    It sounds like the the OP wasn't using a good AP.

    --
    Clark Martin