Something's corrupted? Can't overwrite files, etc - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Something's corrupted? Can't overwrite files, etc - Palmtop ; I tried installing an update of an application (Life Balance) and it sent my Treo 650 into a reset loop. Since then, I have been unable to overwrite files in internal memory by copying from the SD card using Filez; ...

  1. Something's corrupted? Can't overwrite files, etc

    I tried installing an update of an application (Life Balance) and it
    sent my Treo 650 into a reset loop. Since then, I have been unable to
    overwrite files in internal memory by copying from the SD card using
    Filez; I get the error:

    Error: dm: Already Exists in copyItemVFSTToInternal() a
    (Classic Levels)

    followed by:

    Error: dm: Already Exists in copyItemVFSTToInternal() c
    (Classic Levels)

    followed by:

    Error: dm: Already Exists in copyItemVFSTToInternal() d
    (/path/on/SDcard/Classic Levels.pdb)

    followed by:

    There was an error during copy, stopping.

    I am also unable to install upgrades to applications using Hotsync,
    unless I first delete the application to be upgraded.

    How do I fix this?

    --
    THONK BOKE

  2. Re: Something's corrupted? Can't overwrite files, etc

    On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 15:36:39 -0400, Bill Marcum wrote:

    > On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 18:44:44 +0100, zoara
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> I tried installing an update of an application (Life Balance) and it
    >> sent my Treo 650 into a reset loop. Since then, I have been unable to
    >> overwrite files in internal memory by copying from the SD card using
    >> Filez; I get the error:
    >>
    >> Error: dm: Already Exists in copyItemVFSTToInternal() a
    >> (Classic Levels)
    >>

    > Delete the file in internal memory and then copy it.

    Yes.

    But that is a symptom, not the problem. There is obviously something wrong
    here, which is manifesting itself in Filez being suddenly unable to
    overwrite files. It never did before. The workaround is obvious; in fact it
    is so obvious that I neglected to spell out explicitly that I already
    worked this out (it is implied in my use of the term "overwrite", as in I
    have narrowed it down from the wider "write" by attempting to write a file
    that already exists and one that doesn't).

    I am not after a workaround, I am after a fix.

    A further data point; the latest version of Life Balance is known to work
    on my Treo after a hard reset. Whilst diagnosing the problems with the hard
    reset, I wiped the Treo clean and tested Life Balance (latest version). It
    worked. I then ran a restore from the backup and tested Life Balance again;
    it didn't work (and Filez started complaining).

    I would like to fix this problem because I am concerned that there is an
    underlying issue that might cause (or be causing) problems other than those
    syptoms I am seeing. I am reticent to perform another hard-reset and
    restore since a) the restore needed a *lot* of tidying up to get it working
    as before and b) the restore has already proven itself not to fix this
    problem.

    I could, of course, wipe the Treo and restore bit by bit, testing for
    problems with Life Balance and Filez after each step, but I'd rather not,
    as that would turn a process of a few hours into one of several days. This
    is why I am asking here.

    -zoara-

    --
    CAPSLOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL.

  3. Re: Something's corrupted? Can't overwrite files, etc

    On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 18:44:44 +0100, zoara wrote:

    > I tried installing an update of an application (Life Balance) and it
    > sent my Treo 650 into a reset loop. Since then, I have been unable to
    > overwrite files in internal memory by copying from the SD card using
    > Filez; I get the error:
    >
    > Error: dm: Already Exists in copyItemVFSTToInternal() a
    > (Classic Levels)

    [etc]

    A further update; whilst using Resco Backup [1] I have discovered that
    sometimes files will not restore due to an "NVFS Error". That's kind of
    worrying; has my filesystem become corrupt somehow? This is after a hard
    reset, so the Palm is effectively empty before I start the restore.

    So what's happening here? Hardware error? I *did* drop the thing on the
    floor two weeks ago (first time I have ever dropped it, in 18 months of
    ownership!)

    FWIW, the other error I found (with Life Balance sending the Treo into a
    reset loop) was due to a conflict between my task database and the latest
    version of Life Balance. I think the Tasks database may be corrupt, but I
    can't work out how to fix it.

    -zoara-

    [1] If only I'd used this the first time round, it's utterly painless to
    backup and restore...

    --
    CAPSLOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL.

  4. Re: Something's corrupted? Can't overwrite files, etc

    On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 16:07:01 +0100, zoara wrote:

    > On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 18:44:44 +0100, zoara wrote:
    >
    >> I tried installing an update of an application (Life Balance) and it
    >> sent my Treo 650 into a reset loop. Since then, I have been unable to
    >> overwrite files in internal memory by copying from the SD card using
    >> Filez; I get the error:
    >>
    >> Error: dm: Already Exists in copyItemVFSTToInternal() a
    >> (Classic Levels)

    > [etc]
    >
    > A further update; whilst using Resco Backup [1] I have discovered that
    > sometimes files will not restore due to an "NVFS Error". That's kind of
    > worrying; has my filesystem become corrupt somehow? This is after a hard
    > reset, so the Palm is effectively empty before I start the restore.

    Well, problem solved.

    I deleted a temp file that Filez was using (called something like
    FiLeZtEmPfIlE) and all the apparent NVFS problems - including the problems
    with Resco Backup - vanished.

    The Life Balance issue was unrelated, and has also been solved. Seems to be
    a corrupt Task database; beaming the TasksDB-PTod file over to another
    palm, deleting the file from the Treo, then beaming the tasks themselves
    from within the Tasks application back onto the Treo fixed it.

    -zoara-

    --
    CAPSLOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL.

+ Reply to Thread