Palm TX Startup Lag - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm TX Startup Lag - Palmtop ; Has anyone noticed a 1 - 4 second lag when powering up their TX? I typically use the Agenda button to check the time and my agenda. When I do this the unit immediately powers on but there is a ...

  1. Palm TX Startup Lag

    Has anyone noticed a 1 - 4 second lag when powering up their TX? I
    typically use the Agenda button to check the time and my agenda. When I
    do this the unit immediately powers on but there is a 1 - 4 second lag,
    after which the screen refreshes and the correct current time is
    displayed.

    What's odd is I can't always reproduce this. A few months ago it got
    terribly bad so I did a hard reset and synced - problem went away.

    I have turned off beam receive, Bluetooth, and even Wi-Fi is usually
    off. With all those off I'll still get the lag.

    - Joel

  2. Re: Palm TX Startup Lag

    "joelsanda" aszonygya:
    :
    :What's odd is I can't always reproduce this. A few months ago it got
    :terribly bad so I did a hard reset and synced - problem went away.
    :
    :I have turned off beam receive, Bluetooth, and even Wi-Fi is usually
    ff. With all those off I'll still get the lag.

    On my TX, this happens with Blazer. I thought it was a NVFS problem but your
    might be different.

    What is the Agenda button? #2 from the left? Try to assign a different
    application to it using the Palm Prefs. That might help.

    Agenda is a 3rd party application. Do not allow it to be assigned to whatever
    you call "Agenda" button.

    /Paul N

  3. Re: Palm TX Startup Lag

    This is a pronounced startup lag - but is most noticeable when the
    calendar button is used (second from left). When the last calendar view
    was the agenda is when it's noticable: the time and date reflect the
    last time the unit was powered off. It can take 1 - 4 seconds for the
    screen to refresh.

    I find it odd because sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.
    It's as if there's an internal clock or function that gets stopped -
    because other times there is no lag.

    - Joel

    Paul Nevai wrote:
    > "joelsanda" aszonygya:
    > :Has anyone noticed a 1 - 4 second lag when powering up their TX? I
    > :typically use the Agenda button to check the time and my agenda. When I
    > :do this the unit immediately powers on but there is a 1 - 4 second lag,
    > :after which the screen refreshes and the correct current time is
    > :displayed.
    > :
    > :What's odd is I can't always reproduce this. A few months ago it got
    > :terribly bad so I did a hard reset and synced - problem went away.
    > :
    > :I have turned off beam receive, Bluetooth, and even Wi-Fi is usually
    > ff. With all those off I'll still get the lag.
    >
    > On my TX, this happens with Blazer. I thought it was a NVFS problem but your
    > might be different.
    >
    > What is the Agenda button? #2 from the left? Try to assign a different
    > application to it using the Palm Prefs. That might help.
    >
    > Agenda is a 3rd party application. Do not allow it to be assigned to whatever
    > you call "Agenda" button.
    >
    > /Paul N

  4. Re: Palm TX Startup Lag

    "joelsanda" wrote in message
    news:1155913848.068261.206730@m79g2000cwm.googlegr oups.com...
    > Paul Nevai wrote:
    >> "joelsanda" aszonygya:
    >> :Has anyone noticed a 1 - 4 second lag when powering up their TX? I
    >> :typically use the Agenda button to check the time and my agenda. When I
    >> :do this the unit immediately powers on but there is a 1 - 4 second lag,
    >> :after which the screen refreshes and the correct current time is
    >> :displayed.
    >> :
    >> :What's odd is I can't always reproduce this. A few months ago it got
    >> :terribly bad so I did a hard reset and synced - problem went away.
    >> :
    >> :I have turned off beam receive, Bluetooth, and even Wi-Fi is usually
    >> ff. With all those off I'll still get the lag.
    >>
    >> On my TX, this happens with Blazer. I thought it was a NVFS problem but
    >> your
    >> might be different.
    >>
    >> What is the Agenda button? #2 from the left? Try to assign a different
    >> application to it using the Palm Prefs. That might help.
    >>
    >> Agenda is a 3rd party application. Do not allow it to be assigned to
    >> whatever
    >> you call "Agenda" button.

    > This is a pronounced startup lag - but is most noticeable when the
    > calendar button is used (second from left). When the last calendar view
    > was the agenda is when it's noticable: the time and date reflect the
    > last time the unit was powered off. It can take 1 - 4 seconds for the
    > screen to refresh.
    >
    > I find it odd because sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.
    > It's as if there's an internal clock or function that gets stopped -
    > because other times there is no lag.

    Hmm. How large are your databases, could it be Agenda sorting information,
    or similar?

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  5. Re: Palm TX Startup Lag

    DervMan wrote:
    > "joelsanda" wrote in message
    > news:1155913848.068261.206730@m79g2000cwm.googlegr oups.com...
    > > Paul Nevai wrote:
    > >> "joelsanda" aszonygya:
    > >> :Has anyone noticed a 1 - 4 second lag when powering up their TX? I
    > >> :typically use the Agenda button to check the time and my agenda. When I
    > >> :do this the unit immediately powers on but there is a 1 - 4 second lag,
    > >> :after which the screen refreshes and the correct current time is
    > >> :displayed.
    > >> :
    > >> :What's odd is I can't always reproduce this. A few months ago it got
    > >> :terribly bad so I did a hard reset and synced - problem went away.
    > >> :
    > >> :I have turned off beam receive, Bluetooth, and even Wi-Fi is usually
    > >> ff. With all those off I'll still get the lag.
    > >>
    > >> On my TX, this happens with Blazer. I thought it was a NVFS problem but
    > >> your
    > >> might be different.
    > >>
    > >> What is the Agenda button? #2 from the left? Try to assign a different
    > >> application to it using the Palm Prefs. That might help.
    > >>
    > >> Agenda is a 3rd party application. Do not allow it to be assigned to
    > >> whatever
    > >> you call "Agenda" button.

    > > This is a pronounced startup lag - but is most noticeable when the
    > > calendar button is used (second from left). When the last calendar view
    > > was the agenda is when it's noticable: the time and date reflect the
    > > last time the unit was powered off. It can take 1 - 4 seconds for the
    > > screen to refresh.
    > >
    > > I find it odd because sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.
    > > It's as if there's an internal clock or function that gets stopped -
    > > because other times there is no lag.

    > Hmm. How large are your databases, could it be Agenda sorting information,
    > or similar?
    >
    > --
    > The DervMan
    > www.dervman.com

    You know - this will happen after a hard reset even - when there is no
    contact or calendar information outside of default Palm data. And other
    times - with a fully loaded address book and calendar there will be no
    lag. The presence of a memory card does not matter, and neither does
    having WiFi, Bluetooth, and IR turned off.

    It's more of a curiousity than anything - why does the TX sometimes
    take up to four seconds to respond to input (e.g., a sync button press
    on the cable or cradle) or refresh the Agenda view of the calendar? And
    sometimes it is instaneous.

  6. Re: Palm TX Startup Lag

    > Has anyone noticed a 1 - 4 second lag when powering up their TX?

    No, but when it is sometimes a little slow - the symptom being a marked
    deterioration in hand writing recognition - I sometimes wonder if other
    applications are somehow running in the background. Does the Palm OS have
    anything like Windows' task list so you can selectively shut things down, or
    is it only capable of one application at a time?

+ Reply to Thread