Cant read card - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Cant read card - Palmtop ; Hi, I have a Tungsten C and a 1gb card. I have copied a load of stuff from the C to the card but the icons dont show up. However when I read the card in a card reader it ...

  1. Cant read card

    Hi, I have a Tungsten C and a 1gb card. I have copied a load of stuff from
    the C to the card but the icons dont show up. However when I read the card
    in a card reader it says the stuff is there. I need to delete the apps from
    my C to free up some space but only if I can access them on the card.

    Am I doing something very stupid? Is my card faulty?

    Thanks for your help.

    Leila

  2. Re: Cant read card

    >> Am I doing something very stupid? Is my card faulty?
    >>

    > Did you copy using the builtin copy, or a file manager such as Filez?
    > Do you tap the category list at the top of the screen and select the
    > card? When you use the card reader, are the apps located in
    > Palm\Launcher?
    >
    > --
    > Anything free is worth what you pay for it.

    I used the built in app to copy, I used to have filez but sometime I must
    have synched it out. Yes I tap the category list to select the card. I am
    at work and my file reader is on my laptop at home so cant remember where
    the apps are located. For some reason it will show only four apps,
    DGraphConverter(whatever that is), eReader, Luxor and RicochetHR.

    It doesnt seem logical and is very frustrating as I need to free some space
    up on the C.

    Thanks for answering.

    Leila

  3. Re: Cant read card

    In article <6rydnSetMvFbpnnZRVnyiA@bt.com>, "Leila Ferguson"
    wrote:

    > I used the built in app to copy, I used to have filez but sometime I must
    > have synched it out. Yes I tap the category list to select the card. I am
    > at work and my file reader is on my laptop at home so cant remember where
    > the apps are located. For some reason it will show only four apps,
    > DGraphConverter(whatever that is), eReader, Luxor and RicochetHR.
    >
    > It doesnt seem logical and is very frustrating as I need to free some space
    > up on the C.

    I missed your first post, but if what you're trying to do is to free up
    space on the card, have you considered mounting it directly onto your
    computer, via a card reader?

    Card readers are cheap, and can be very useful; for example, I move books
    onto (and off!) my LifeDrive's card via the Mac. As well as being easier,
    it's much faster.

    - duncan

  4. Re: Cant read card

    > I missed your first post, but if what you're trying to do is to free up
    > space on the card, have you considered mounting it directly onto your
    > computer, via a card reader?
    >
    > Card readers are cheap, and can be very useful; for example, I move books
    > onto (and off!) my LifeDrive's card via the Mac. As well as being easier,
    > it's much faster.
    >
    > - duncan

    Thanks for the reply, what is happening is that I am trying to free space up
    on the C by chucking as much as I can onto the 1gb card. However the apps
    only show for a moment, if I then go into one and come out all but 4 have
    disappeared. The original 4 stay whatever else happens but nothing else
    shows on the card. However, when I look at the card using a file reader it
    shows that everything is there but there are no icons when I look via the C.
    I hope that makes sense, I am not very techie (which is why I come to this
    group!).

    Cheers
    Leila

  5. Re: Cant read card

    In article <0J-dnTs8n70H4XTZnZ2dnUVZ8sidnZ2d@bt.com>, "Leila Ferguson"
    wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply, what is happening is that I am trying to free space up
    > on the C by chucking as much as I can onto the 1gb card. However the apps
    > only show for a moment, if I then go into one and come out all but 4 have
    > disappeared. The original 4 stay whatever else happens but nothing else
    > shows on the card. However, when I look at the card using a file reader it
    > shows that everything is there but there are no icons when I look via the C.
    > I hope that makes sense, I am not very techie (which is why I come to this
    > group!).

    Clearly, there's something wrong with either the Palm or the card... as
    it's undoubtedly easier to try sorting out the card, I'd suggest you mount
    it on your PC (via that card reader) and back it up by copying the contents
    to a folder on your HD. Then reformat it (either from the PC, or by putting
    it back in the Palm). Then try moving stuff from the Palm onto it. If that
    works, you're home & dry... if it doesn't - let us know!

    - duncan

  6. Re: Cant read card

    Hi Leila,

    For applications to run from your your SD card, they must be installed in the /palm/launcher directory. Additionally, to access the programs installed on yourcard, you must select the card from the category drop-down list. Selecting allfrom the drop-down list does not show applications shown on the card.

    Lastly, even though you can copy an application to the card, that does noty necessarily mean that it will run properly from the card.

    Lastly, if the application does not work after being copied from RAM to SD, youcould try deleting the program completely, and have 'Quick Install' install directly to the SD card.

    Ciao . . . C.Joseph

    And on the Seventh day, God said,
    "I will rest . . . Murphy take over."

  7. Re: Cant read card

    I got fed up installing apps to the SD card cos I couldn't catogories them,
    that is until I found PowerRUN. PowerRUN installs apps on the SD, but
    creates a shortcut on the palm so you can put the shortcut in the
    Games/Main/System/etc.. catogories.
    Great app wouldn't be without it.

    Plus whenever I install something to the palm I always use InWatch
    (www.stacworks.com). You take a snapshot of the palm before you install and
    after installation you have a list of all the files the installed apps .prc
    created. Its then easy to uninstall an app fully if its not working.

    "C.Joseph Drayton" wrote in message
    Hi Leila,

    For applications to run from your your SD card, they must be installed in
    the /palm/launcher directory. Additionally, to access the programs installed
    on your card, you must select the card from the category drop-down list.
    Selecting all from the drop-down list does not show applications shown on
    the card.

    Lastly, even though you can copy an application to the card, that does noty
    necessarily mean that it will run properly from the card.

    Lastly, if the application does not work after being copied from RAM to SD,
    you could try deleting the program completely, and have 'Quick Install'
    install directly to the SD card.

    Ciao . . . C.Joseph

    And on the Seventh day, God said,
    "I will rest . . . Murphy take over."