Re: Is Palm on the way out? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Re: Is Palm on the way out? - Palmtop ; Bible John wrote: > I work in sales, and once I had a customer who complained that the > battery life on current PDA's is pathetic, and that Palm used to do a > good job in this category. I ...

  1. Re: Is Palm on the way out?

    Bible John wrote:
    > I work in sales, and once I had a customer who complained that the
    > battery life on current PDA's is pathetic, and that Palm used to do a
    > good job in this category. I agreed, and kinda wish Palm still
    > produced a AAA unit, but then again people would not be able to see
    > the color, and video that so many cant live without these days. Frankly I
    > wonder how people survived 10 years ago.

    Don't most rechargables now-a-days have more power than normal AAA's?
    Anyway, it doesn't have to do with the battery, it's because PDA's are much
    more powerfull than what they were back in treo 90 days. Now they have high
    resolution colored screens and ****load faster processors. Battery
    technology just hasn't increased as fast as the rest of it.

    > So what is the future of Palm? No question they no longer sell like
    > they used to. I remember when PDA's were a hot item, these days they
    > seem to not sell. I see the same thing in every retail store I
    > visit. I ask the sales people how are the PDA's selling, and they
    > always tell me very poorly. In some stores, they have even
    > elliminated the PDA's.

    As laptops become smaller, and phones become bigger, they will eventually
    fade out the palm market.

    > For me a PDA is a necessity, but then again I am a different kind of
    > person. For me I have to keep records of all my finances, I have to
    > keep a diet log, and I very much like the portable picture and video
    > recorder that my Zire 72 provides. Although the images and videos
    > cant compete with my Kodak, its nice to have a all in one machine,
    > and besides I almost never print the Palm images. I also like having
    > a portable recorder around. Although the mic on my Zire 72 cant
    > compete with a mic in any digital recorder, or most tape recorders,
    > for dictation my Zire 72 works well.

    Honestly, most phones can do most of that now. At least good enough for the
    average user who doesn't want an extra piece of hardwear like the pda.

    Ryan

  2. Re: Is Palm on the way out?

    DarkSheer wrote:
    > As laptops become smaller, and phones become bigger, they will eventually
    > fade out the palm market.

    Laptops cannot become smaller without losing function, and a phone can
    be a Palm -- that's what the whole Treo line is, after all.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "The blind rulers of Logres