Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X - Palmtop ; I need to replace my Palm that I lost today and have narrowed it down to either the Life Drive or the Palm TX. ....apart from the 4GB storage is there anything that the LifeDrive does that the TX doesnt? ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

  1. Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    I need to replace my Palm that I lost today and have narrowed it down
    to either the Life Drive or the Palm TX.

    ....apart from the 4GB storage is there anything that the LifeDrive does
    that the TX doesnt?

    David Bevan
    http://www.davidbevan.co.uk

  2. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    junk1@davidbevan.co.uk aszonygya:
    :
    :...apart from the 4GB storage is there anything that the LifeDrive does
    :that the TX doesnt?

    Just in case you guys don't get the message about the LifeDrive, a couple of
    dyas ago there was a discussion on a private Palm developer list about
    LifeDrive vs TX. If I recall correctly, the uniform consensus was that one
    of them is a piece of you know what whereas the other is almost perfect.

    Please keep in mind that developers worth their salt have dozens of Palms
    hanging around and they are very picky when choosing one for personal use.

    /PaulN [a former LifeDrive and a current TX owner]

  3. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    Paul Nevai wrote:
    > Just in case you guys don't get the message about the LifeDrive, a couple of
    > dyas ago there was a discussion on a private Palm developer list about
    > LifeDrive vs TX. If I recall correctly, the uniform consensus was that one
    > of them is a piece of you know what whereas the other is almost perfect.
    >
    > Please keep in mind that developers worth their salt have dozens of Palms
    > hanging around and they are very picky when choosing one for personal use.
    >
    > /PaulN [a former LifeDrive and a current TX owner]

    Thanks for the info, what in particular didnt they like about Palm
    Drive? Was it unstable or was it just the setup they didnt like?

    ...if it was stability, then was it just less forgiving of bugs in their
    code or do the built in apps run badly?

    ....are there any features that one has and one doesnt?

    Thanks

    David Bevan
    http://www.davidbevan.co.uk

  4. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    In article <1151931095.711846.42380@a14g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
    junk1@davidbevan.co.uk wrote:

    > ...are there any features that one has and one doesnt?

    Drive mode in the LifeDrive. Jolly useful for moving
    files back and forth between LifeDrive and PC or Mac.

    --
    Mike Connally
    Had to take action 'against spam'. Remove those words to reply.

  5. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    :Paul Nevai wrote:
    :> Just in case you guys don't get the message about the LifeDrive, a couple of
    :> dyas ago there was a discussion on a private Palm developer list about
    :> LifeDrive vs TX. If I recall correctly, the uniform consensus was that one
    :> of them is a piece of you know what whereas the other is almost perfect.
    :>
    :> Please keep in mind that developers worth their salt have dozens of Palms
    :> hanging around and they are very picky when choosing one for personal use.
    :>
    :> /PaulN [a former LifeDrive and a current TX owner]
    :
    :Thanks for the info, what in particular didnt they like about Palm
    rive? Was it unstable or was it just the setup they didnt like?
    :
    :..if it was stability, then was it just less forgiving of bugs in their
    :code or do the built in apps run badly?
    :
    :...are there any features that one has and one doesnt?

    I am sure googling LifeDrive would give you plenty of info.

    Slowness, incredibly slow soft-resets, incredibly slow actions occasionally
    such as getting thr FIND dialog, frequent crashes in VersaTerm and Blazer,
    blank screen, super buggy NVSF and DIA, etc., etc., etc.

    I personally loved the size of the LifeDrive but some thought it was too big.

    Get the TX. I hated it initially but I loved it more and more by the day [I
    had a TC before the TX].

    /PaulN

  6. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    Mike Connally aszonygya:
    :In article <1151931095.711846.42380@a14g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
    : junk1@davidbevan.co.uk wrote:
    :
    :> ...are there any features that one has and one doesnt?
    :
    rive mode in the LifeDrive. Jolly useful for moving
    :files back and forth between LifeDrive and PC or Mac.

    True. I have a 6G MicroDrive inside a Lexar FireWire reader and I do the same
    between my Macs. Much smaller and much easier. Maybe even faster.

    /PaulN

  7. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    > I am sure googling LifeDrive would give you plenty of info.
    >
    > Slowness, incredibly slow soft-resets, incredibly slow actions occasionally
    > such as getting thr FIND dialog, frequent crashes in VersaTerm and Blazer,
    > blank screen, super buggy NVSF and DIA, etc., etc., etc.

    Thanks, I had done a bit of Googling and yes people do complain about
    the soft reset taking 90 seconds and they do complain about VersaMail
    crashing (and needing a soft reset)

    ....but then most people seem to say that the patch 2 that came out has
    fixed most of the stability problems.

    The LD is 45 more than the TX and these are the pros and cons I can
    see so far (please feel free to add)....

    LD Pros
    More storage
    Drive mode

    LD Cons
    Thicker and heavier than the XT
    Less stable (pos just need patch 2?)
    Slower to do some things.

    Thanks

    David Bevan
    http://www.davidbevan.co.uk

  8. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    On 03 Jul 2006, junk1@davidbevan.co.uk wrote:

    >> I am sure googling LifeDrive would give you plenty of info.
    >>
    >> Slowness, incredibly slow soft-resets, incredibly slow actions
    >> occasional

    > ly
    >> such as getting thr FIND dialog, frequent crashes in VersaTerm
    >> and Blazer, blank screen, super buggy NVSF and DIA, etc., etc.,
    >> etc.

    > Thanks, I had done a bit of Googling and yes people do complain
    > about the soft reset taking 90 seconds and they do complain about
    > VersaMail crashing (and needing a soft reset)
    >
    > ...but then most people seem to say that the patch 2 that came out
    > has fixed most of the stability problems.

    Yes, there's not yet a major patch for the TX, but every TX owner
    knows it's urgently needed.

    > The LD is 45 more than the TX and these are the pros and cons I
    > can see so far (please feel free to add)....
    >
    > LD Pros
    > More storage

    The TX will take a 4 or 8 Gb SD card. I think SD is superior to the
    LD's hard drive.

    > Drive mode

    There's software available (at some cost) to make the TX look like an
    external drive to your PC.

    > LD Cons
    > Thicker and heavier than the XT

    True.

    > Less stable (pos just need patch 2?)

    Stability is a major problem for the TX. It's not a "deal breaker"
    in my opinion, but some of that feeling comes from expecting Palm to
    issue a major patch sometime real soon ;-)

    > Slower to do some things.

    Yes, loading from the disk is disconcertingly slow sometimes, but
    there are unexplained lags on the TX as well. Sometines it takes
    Balzer *forever* to start up.

    Big pro for the LD is a microphone. I didn't realize the TX lacked
    that until I had it. We've got skype and wifi, but no mic! What
    were they thinking?

    I don't own a LD, but I went through the same comparison you're doing
    once I narrowed the choices to TX or LD. Why not go to a local
    retailer and check them out yourself?

    Dave

    --
    D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n
    t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m

  9. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    David Tiktin wrote:
    > Stability is a major problem for the TX. It's not a "deal breaker"
    > in my opinion, but some of that feeling comes from expecting Palm to
    > issue a major patch sometime real soon ;-)

    Thats odd, most people seem to say that LD is unstable and by
    implication the TX is stable?

    David Bevan
    http://www.davidbevan.co.uk

  10. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    wrote:

    > I need to replace my Palm that I lost today and have narrowed it down
    > to either the Life Drive or the Palm TX.
    >
    > ...apart from the 4GB storage is there anything that the LifeDrive does
    > that the TX doesnt?
    >

    > David Bevan
    > http://www.davidbevan.co.uk

    I have a 4gb Sd card in my TX

  11. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    David Tiktin aszonygya:
    :Yes, loading from the disk is disconcertingly slow sometimes, but
    :there are unexplained lags on the TX as well. Sometines it takes
    :Balzer *forever* to start up.

    Correct, the same with VersaMail. I guess I learned to live with it. It's an
    NVFS bug which, I think, Palm pretends that doesn't exist. /PaulN

  12. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    nospam@nospam.com (Keith) aszonygya:
    :I have a 4gb Sd card in my TX

    So the implicit conclusion is that it works. Right? I am about to buy one
    like that. My current 2Gb SD is fine but it's hard to resist. /PaulN

  13. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 07:14:17 -0500, junk1@davidbevan.co.uk wrote
    (in article <1151928857.180856.252930@v61g2000cwv.googlegroups. com>):

    > ...apart from the 4GB storage is there anything that the LifeDrive does
    > that the TX doesnt?

    I never had a TX, but I had a T5 (which I asssume is pretty similar).

    The LD is slow to launch - or load code fragments due to Palm's strange
    fixation with non-volatile memory (disk or NVRAM). Once it gets going, it has
    a 416 mhz processor though.

    Things I dislike about the LD:
    1. Slow load times.
    2. Slow reset
    3. Greater weight

    Things I like about the LD:
    1. On/off/lock slider switch (the On/Off button on my T5 died twice in a year
    - both, I believe, contributing to its failure)
    2. Metal case (my plastic T5 case cracked once causing a 3/4" x 5/16" opening
    in the case, though I don't recall having dropped it)
    3. Lots of storage I use only for infrequently accessed stuff like backups
    and photos
    4. Microphone is okay, but sound is not great - good in an emergency
    5. Feels like a solid piece of hardware

    I really am not happy with any palm now - my ideal would be one which had
    64MB of real RAM behind a PMMU with 64MB of NVRAM (though 128MB would be
    better for both). When the PMMU caught a write access, a dirty flag would be
    turned on for that page. At power off (or during idle time), dirty storage
    would be back-flushed to the NVRAM.

    At power-up, the PMMU would bring pages into real memory from NVRAM in an
    on-demand basis.

    None of this "over-committed" storage garbage - this is my handheld device,
    not a 70s era mainframe. Last thing I need is for my PDA to be thrashing -
    whether to disk or NVRAM.

    -- Verne

  14. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    junk1@davidbevan.co.uk wrote:

    >>I am sure googling LifeDrive would give you plenty of info.
    >>
    >>Slowness, incredibly slow soft-resets, incredibly slow actions occasionally
    >>such as getting thr FIND dialog, frequent crashes in VersaTerm and Blazer,
    >>blank screen, super buggy NVSF and DIA, etc., etc., etc.

    > Thanks, I had done a bit of Googling and yes people do complain about
    > the soft reset taking 90 seconds and they do complain about VersaMail
    > crashing (and needing a soft reset)
    >
    > ...but then most people seem to say that the patch 2 that came out has
    > fixed most of the stability problems.
    >
    > The LD is 45 more than the TX and these are the pros and cons I can
    > see so far (please feel free to add)....
    >
    > LD Pros
    > More storage
    > Drive mode
    >
    > LD Cons
    > Thicker and heavier than the XT
    > Less stable (pos just need patch 2?)
    > Slower to do some things.
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > David Bevan
    > http://www.davidbevan.co.uk

    A lot depends on what you are doing. The LD disk drive is very poor for
    GPS navigation. the hard drive will overheat is you keep it spinning all
    of the time managing maps and the SD card is considerably faster as well.

    Dale
    --
    _ _ Dale DePriest
    /`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede

  15. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    > Just in case you guys don't get the message about the LifeDrive, a couple of
    > dyas ago there was a discussion on a private Palm developer list about
    > LifeDrive vs TX. If I recall correctly, the uniform consensus was that one
    > of them is a piece of you know what whereas the other is almost perfect.
    >
    > Please keep in mind that developers worth their salt have dozens of Palms
    > hanging around and they are very picky when choosing one for personal use.

    .....I was just coming to the conclusion that the TX was the safer more
    stable option when I stumbled across several moans about the TX being
    unstable!

    What is it that makes the Life Drive unstable? Does it have the same OS
    as the TX? Or does it do something fundamentally different - is it the
    micro drive thats to blame?

    David Bevan
    http://www.davidbevan.co.uk

  16. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    On 03 Jul 2006, junk1@davidbevan.co.uk wrote:

    > David Tiktin wrote:
    >> Stability is a major problem for the TX. It's not a "deal breaker"
    >> in my opinion, but some of that feeling comes from expecting Palm to
    >> issue a major patch sometime real soon ;-)

    > Thats odd, most people seem to say that LD is unstable and by
    > implication the TX is stable?

    I've heard the "LD unstable" part, but that shouldn't imply anything
    about the TX. The TX definitely has it's problems. (More satble?
    Less stable? If the thing is unstable, it's *unstable*!) Other
    postings in this group said the first major patch for the LD solved
    many problems. The same is need for the TX. A friend of mine bought a
    LD about the same time I bought a TX. He sent his back. I've still
    got mine. But honestly, I'm not sure what that means ;-)

    Dave

    --
    D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n
    t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m

  17. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    On Mon, 03 Jul 2006, David Tiktin wrote:
    > Stability is a major problem for the TX. It's not a "deal breaker"
    > in my opinion, but some of that feeling comes from expecting Palm to
    > issue a major patch sometime real soon ;-)

    I have not had any stability problems at all with my TX, so what needs
    fixing. Is it just some old 3rd party apps that cause a problem?

    Of course Versamail smtp auth is broken, but I hear it has been like that
    for some time, and probably not TX specific. So I am using the old Eudora
    for now (it works).

    Besides included software and Eudora, the only other apps I have installed
    are FileZ, PalmPDF, pssh, Snap, and TCPMP.

  18. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    efflandt@xnet.com (David Efflandt) aszonygya:
    :On Mon, 03 Jul 2006, David Tiktin wrote:
    :> Stability is a major problem for the TX. It's not a "deal breaker"
    :> in my opinion, but some of that feeling comes from expecting Palm to
    :> issue a major patch sometime real soon ;-)
    :
    :I have not had any stability problems at all with my TX, so what needs
    :fixing. Is it just some old 3rd party apps that cause a problem?

    VersaMail and Blazer have serious problems but they still work fine most of
    the time. They are kind of 3rd party. Developed by 3rd parties and Palm
    conveniently fails to test them properly before adding them to the standard
    setup. The problems are almost exclusively NVFS related. /PaulN

  19. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    The TX does have some bugs that pop up.. the main one I see is the
    resetting itself sometimes.. It is not a big deal, but when I owned a
    Clie, I never had these issues.. Aside from that, it is not a bad
    device.. I am waiting for the Patch though, I hope it clears that up
    and helps Blazer a little better .. Blazer once in awhile ( for me )
    gets a little goofy, but not anything that is too bad. But, I agree, it
    seems that palm does not test properly the software that it uses. The
    WIFI does seem to work well, and it scans pretty good tp find a
    wireless network, and connects quickly .

    I was surprised it had these bugs though.. I guess I was spoiled by my
    Clie.

    Jerry
    Paul Nevai wrote:
    > efflandt@xnet.com (David Efflandt) aszonygya:
    > :On Mon, 03 Jul 2006, David Tiktin wrote:
    > :> Stability is a major problem for the TX. It's not a "deal breaker"
    > :> in my opinion, but some of that feeling comes from expecting Palm to
    > :> issue a major patch sometime real soon ;-)
    > :
    > :I have not had any stability problems at all with my TX, so what needs
    > :fixing. Is it just some old 3rd party apps that cause a problem?
    >
    > VersaMail and Blazer have serious problems but they still work fine most of
    > the time. They are kind of 3rd party. Developed by 3rd parties and Palm
    > conveniently fails to test them properly before adding them to the standard
    > setup. The problems are almost exclusively NVFS related. /PaulN

  20. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    junk1@davidbevan.co.uk wrote:
    > I need to replace my Palm that I lost today and have narrowed it down
    > to either the Life Drive or the Palm TX.
    >
    > ...apart from the 4GB storage is there anything that the LifeDrive does
    > that the TX doesnt?
    >

    > David Bevan
    > http://www.davidbevan.co.uk

    Thanks for everybodies answers, its disappointing to hear of all these
    stability/speed problems. My Tun E has never needed a hard reset and
    virtually never needs a soft reset and ran really fast.

    I was hoping that the TX or Life Drive would be just like my E, but
    faster, more capacity, more connectivity etc, but it sounds like they
    both still have problems!

    Ive decided to stick with my laptop for at least the short term - true
    I cant fit it in my pocket, but then 99% of the time i use my Palm ive
    got my laptop with me and am at some kind of desk.

    If I dont get on with using the laptop then ill just buy a second hand
    tung E off ebay!

    Thanks

    David Bevan
    http://www.davidbevan.co.uk