Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X - Palmtop ; On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 18:17:54 +0000, Paul Nevai wrote: > nospam@nospam.com (Keith) aszonygya: > :I have a 4gb Sd card in my TX > > So the implicit conclusion is that it works. Right? I am about to buy ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 18:17:54 +0000, Paul Nevai wrote:

    > nospam@nospam.com (Keith) aszonygya:
    > :I have a 4gb Sd card in my TX
    >
    > So the implicit conclusion is that it works. Right? I am about to buy one
    > like that. My current 2Gb SD is fine but it's hard to resist.

    I use a 4Gb SD on a TX also. Yup, it sure does work.

    I got the A-DATA card, it works great, tho it is slower then the 512Mb and
    256Mb cards that I have.

    --
    Doug Herr
    doug*at*wombatz*dot*com

  2. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    On 04 Jul 2006, efflandt@xnet.com (David Efflandt) wrote:

    > On Mon, 03 Jul 2006, David Tiktin
    > wrote:
    >> Stability is a major problem for the TX. It's not a "deal
    >> breaker" in my opinion, but some of that feeling comes from
    >> expecting Palm to issue a major patch sometime real soon ;-)

    > I have not had any stability problems at all with my TX, so what
    > needs fixing. Is it just some old 3rd party apps that cause a
    > problem?

    I think the availablility of *working* 3rd party apps is a pretty
    important feature ;-)

    OK, it's undoubtedly not just Palm's problem, but the core apps that
    ship with the TX should work. What's the point of wifi without a
    browser and an email client? Yet Blazer and Versamail routinely
    cause resets. So do DocsToGo and Adobe's PDF reader, rendering them
    almost unusable for me since I'm tired of fooling with them.
    (Opening .doc attachments in Versamail always blows my TX. Is it
    Versamail or DocsToGo?) And so do oh so many apps I'd like to use
    but can't, like Plucker and Avantgo. (But HotSync resets on
    occassion, too.) Maybe these apps violate some constraints or misuse
    an API or two. I can't comment on that. But the core system out of
    the box (including essential third party apps) should work out of the
    box without hangs or resets in routine use. That's Palm's
    responsibility. And sadly, that isn't the case.

    Dave

    --
    D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n
    t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m

  3. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    David Tiktin wrote:
    > On 04 Jul 2006, efflandt@xnet.com (David Efflandt) wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 03 Jul 2006, David Tiktin
    >> wrote:
    >>> Stability is a major problem for the TX. It's not a "deal
    >>> breaker" in my opinion, but some of that feeling comes from
    >>> expecting Palm to issue a major patch sometime real soon ;-)

    >> I have not had any stability problems at all with my TX, so what
    >> needs fixing. Is it just some old 3rd party apps that cause a
    >> problem?

    > I think the availablility of *working* 3rd party apps is a pretty
    > important feature ;-)
    >
    > OK, it's undoubtedly not just Palm's problem, but the core apps that
    > ship with the TX should work. What's the point of wifi without a
    > browser and an email client? Yet Blazer and Versamail routinely
    > cause resets. So do DocsToGo and Adobe's PDF reader, rendering them
    > almost unusable for me since I'm tired of fooling with them.
    > (Opening .doc attachments in Versamail always blows my TX. Is it
    > Versamail or DocsToGo?) And so do oh so many apps I'd like to use
    > but can't, like Plucker and Avantgo. (But HotSync resets on
    > occassion, too.) Maybe these apps violate some constraints or misuse
    > an API or two. I can't comment on that. But the core system out of
    > the box (including essential third party apps) should work out of the
    > box without hangs or resets in routine use. That's Palm's
    > responsibility. And sadly, that isn't the case.
    >
    > Dave

    I experience a crash or ten whenever I use Blazer over wifi on my
    LifeDrive. Is it any less stable than a Windows based PDA? I suspect
    it's as good as, so I am happy to continue using the Palm and happy to
    continue surfing with Blazer, until a better alternative comes along.

    I'd love to know if anyones had a much better experience with a
    different PDA.

    Ben

  4. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 06:08:31 -0500, David Efflandt wrote
    (in article ):

    > Of course Versamail smtp auth is broken, but I hear it has been like that
    > for some time, and probably not TX specific. So I am using the old Eudora
    > for now (it works).

    When I used it on my T5, Versamail would hang all over the place.

    I replaced it with SnapperMail Enterprise, which is expensive but worth it.

  5. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 16:15:05 -0500, Dale DePriest wrote
    (in article <12aj26qqsthok10@corp.supernews.com>):

    > A lot depends on what you are doing. The LD disk drive is very poor for
    > GPS navigation. the hard drive will overheat is you keep it spinning all
    > of the time managing maps and the SD card is considerably faster as well.

    You should put your maps on an SD card, and anything else that's constantly
    used.

    The HD should be used only for stuff that's accessed infrequently.

  6. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    :
    :> A lot depends on what you are doing. The LD disk drive is very poor for
    :> GPS navigation. the hard drive will overheat is you keep it spinning all
    :> of the time managing maps and the SD card is considerably faster as well.
    :
    :You should put your maps on an SD card, and anything else that's constantly
    :used.
    :
    :The HD should be used only for stuff that's accessed infrequently.

    Now that's really sick, but, sadly, true. It would be a great subject for a
    Woody Allen movie. /PaulN

  7. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    David Tiktin wrote:
    > OK, it's undoubtedly not just Palm's problem, but the core apps that
    > ship with the TX should work. What's the point of wifi without a
    > browser and an email client? Yet Blazer and Versamail routinely
    > cause resets. So do DocsToGo and Adobe's PDF reader, rendering them
    > almost unusable for me since I'm tired of fooling with them.
    > (Opening .doc attachments in Versamail always blows my TX. Is it
    > Versamail or DocsToGo?) And so do oh so many apps I'd like to use
    > but can't, like Plucker and Avantgo. (But HotSync resets on
    > occassion, too.) Maybe these apps violate some constraints or misuse
    > an API or two. I can't comment on that. But the core system out of
    > the box (including essential third party apps) should work out of the
    > box without hangs or resets in routine use. That's Palm's
    > responsibility. And sadly, that isn't the case.
    >
    > Dave

    I installed Agendus mail to get working mail. Works fine.
    I have had no problems with Blazer except for the graffiti 1 problem
    (string too long crash). Avantgo works for me now. It hung up once, I
    deleted it and re-installed. Now it works fine.

    Tried plucker for a few days and deleted it. Quikipedia is great.

    So, my TX is pretty solid. Crashes once in a while. Re-boots in seconds,
    no problem.

    There is an external microphone available now, for voice recording. A
    little dongle for the connector. All signals are there apparently.
    Kinda like a Bebox?

  8. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    junk1@davidbevan.co.uk wrote:

    > What is it that makes the Life Drive unstable? Does it have the same OS
    > as the TX? Or does it do something fundamentally different - is it the
    > micro drive thats to blame?
    >
    > David Bevan
    > http://www.davidbevan.co.uk

    I've read that the LD uses a disk partition as virtual ram as a cost
    saving measure. Cannot testify to that being the actual case.

  9. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    Keith wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I need to replace my Palm that I lost today and have narrowed it down
    >> to either the Life Drive or the Palm TX.
    >>
    >> ...apart from the 4GB storage is there anything that the LifeDrive does
    >> that the TX doesnt?
    >>

    >> David Bevan
    >> http://www.davidbevan.co.uk

    > I have a 4gb Sd card in my TX

    Really works, huh? Unfortunately, I have a 2 gig for some films, 1 gig
    (fast one, expensive) and a 512 meg for maps.

  10. Re: Palm LifeDrive vs Palm T X

    On 21 Jul 2006, Jd Lyall wrote:

    > David Tiktin wrote:
    >> OK, it's undoubtedly not just Palm's problem, but the core apps
    >> that ship with the TX should work. What's the point of wifi
    >> without a browser and an email client? Yet Blazer and Versamail
    >> routinely cause resets. So do DocsToGo and Adobe's PDF reader,
    >> rendering them almost unusable for me since I'm tired of fooling
    >> with them. (Opening .doc attachments in Versamail always blows
    >> my TX. Is it Versamail or DocsToGo?) And so do oh so many apps
    >> I'd like to use but can't, like Plucker and Avantgo. (But
    >> HotSync resets on occassion, too.) Maybe these apps violate some
    >> constraints or misuse an API or two. I can't comment on that.
    >> But the core system out of the box (including essential third
    >> party apps) should work out of the box without hangs or resets in
    >> routine use. That's Palm's responsibility. And sadly, that
    >> isn't the case.
    >>

    > I installed Agendus mail to get working mail. Works fine.

    Versamail "works," but I complained that viewing .doc files from
    Versamail doesn't. Are you saying that viewing .doc attachments
    works with Agendus?

    > I have had no problems with Blazer except for the graffiti 1
    > problem (string too long crash). Avantgo works for me now. It hung
    > up once, I deleted it and re-installed. Now it works fine.

    I installed twice and it didn't work either time :-( But that was
    about 10 months ago. What version of Avantgo is working for you?

    > Tried plucker for a few days and deleted it. Quikipedia is great.

    Thanks for the reference to Quikipedia. I looked at the web site,
    but this doesn't seem to be a replacement for Plucker with the same
    functionality. Or did I not understand your comment?

    > So, my TX is pretty solid. Crashes once in a while. Re-boots in
    > seconds, no problem.

    My TX also crashes once in a while and reboots in (about 15) seconds.
    I don't consider it "no problem" though ;-)

    > There is an external microphone available now, for voice
    > recording. A little dongle for the connector. All signals are
    > there apparently. Kinda like a Bebox?

    I searched and found that some folks were hacking their TXs to
    achieve this. But "available now" makes it sound like there's a
    commercial product. Do you know of one? (I did find a TX Bluetooth
    audio gateway, though. Neat!) Support for a Bluetooth headset would
    be perfect.

    Dave