Remove DSTUpdater.prc after its installation? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Remove DSTUpdater.prc after its installation? - Palmtop ; Hello. I have a newbie question! After downloading over the air (OTA) and running DSTUpdater (DSTUpda...) in Palm Treo 680 (unlocked), is it safe to delete this updater from the add/remove list? Or does it need to stay (Applications desktop)? ...

  1. Remove DSTUpdater.prc after its installation?

    Hello. I have a newbie question!

    After downloading over the air (OTA) and running DSTUpdater (DSTUpda...)
    in Palm Treo 680 (unlocked), is it safe to delete this updater from the
    add/remove list? Or does it need to stay (Applications desktop)? I am a
    bit concern because it said "Remove the program and all datas?". I am
    not sure if that was an uninstaller or deleting the prc file off the
    PDA.

    Thank you in advance.
    --
    "The constant creeping of ants will wear away the stone." --unknown
    /\___/\
    ( )

  2. Re: Remove DSTUpdater.prc after its installation?

    "Ant" wrote in message
    news:lLudnSYkbNIun3zYnZ2dnUVZ_qbinZ2d@mminternet.n et...
    > Hello. I have a newbie question!
    >
    > After downloading over the air (OTA) and running DSTUpdater (DSTUpda...)
    > in Palm Treo 680 (unlocked), is it safe to delete this updater from the
    > add/remove list? Or does it need to stay (Applications desktop)? I am a
    > bit concern because it said "Remove the program and all datas?". I am
    > not sure if that was an uninstaller or deleting the prc file off the
    > PDA.
    >
    > Thank you in advance.
    > --
    > "The constant creeping of ants will wear away the stone." --unknown
    > /\___/\
    > / /\ /\ \ Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
    > | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
    > \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
    > ( )

    I deleted it from my TX and the dates for daylight savings time for the
    cities in World Clock are still correct (updated).

  3. Re: Remove DSTUpdater.prc after its installation?

    Hi,

    Ant wrote:
    > Hello. I have a newbie question!
    >
    > After downloading over the air (OTA) and running DSTUpdater (DSTUpda...)
    > in Palm Treo 680 (unlocked), is it safe to delete this updater from the
    > add/remove list? Or does it need to stay (Applications desktop)? I am a
    > bit concern because it said "Remove the program and all datas?". I am
    > not sure if that was an uninstaller or deleting the prc file off the
    > PDA.
    >
    > Thank you in advance.

    The updater is an application that you must execute once to update the
    DST values. AFAIK, if you hard reset your palm, you must re-execute the
    application the set the DST values again. So it would be a good idea to
    keep the app somewhere.

    Greetings,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion [MVP ASP.NET]
    Software engineering, Blog: http://www.galasoft-LB.ch

  4. Re: Remove DSTUpdater.prc after its installation?

    Laurent Bugnion [MVP] wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Ant wrote:
    >> Hello. I have a newbie question!
    >>
    >> After downloading over the air (OTA) and running DSTUpdater
    >> (DSTUpda...) in Palm Treo 680 (unlocked), is it safe to delete this
    >> updater from the add/remove list? Or does it need to stay
    >> (Applications desktop)? I am a bit concern because it said "Remove
    >> the program and all datas?". I am not sure if that was an
    >> uninstaller or deleting the prc file off the PDA.
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance.

    > The updater is an application that you must execute once to update the
    > DST values. AFAIK, if you hard reset your palm, you must re-execute
    > the application the set the DST values again. So it would be a good
    > idea to keep the app somewhere.
    >
    > Greetings,
    > Laurent

    We travel back and forth between Scotland the the U.S. so I'm wondering what
    the effect of installing the updater on my Zire 72 would be. Will it update
    the settings appropriately for DST on both continents?

    TIA

  5. Re: Remove DSTUpdater.prc after its installation?

    Hi,

    Lefty wrote:

    > We travel back and forth between Scotland the the U.S. so I'm wondering what
    > the effect of installing the updater on my Zire 72 would be. Will it update
    > the settings appropriately for DST on both continents?
    >
    > TIA

    The updater does nothing, but store in the PDA at which date the country
    you're in is in winter time, resp summer time. Nothing more nothing
    less. As before, you need to change your location manually in the palm.
    It's really basic.

    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion [MVP ASP.NET]
    Software engineering, Blog: http://www.galasoft-LB.ch

  6. Re: Remove DSTUpdater.prc after its installation?

    Laurent Bugnion [MVP] wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Lefty wrote:
    >>
    >> We travel back and forth between Scotland the the U.S. so I'm
    >> wondering what the effect of installing the updater on my Zire 72
    >> would be. Will it update the settings appropriately for DST on both
    >> continents? TIA

    > The updater does nothing, but store in the PDA at which date the
    > country you're in is in winter time, resp summer time. Nothing more
    > nothing less. As before, you need to change your location manually in
    > the palm. It's really basic.
    >
    > Laurent

    Laurent,

    Thank you. I am accustomed to changing locations when I move from one
    continent to the other. If I understand what you are saying I can run the
    DSTUpdater and it will ensure that the Palm will recognize whether or not
    the "new" location has switched to DST. If I don't run the updater and we
    were to fly to New York on March 15 and I were to change the time zone from
    GMT+0 where it is presently set to New York, the Palm would not recognize
    that it shoud be on DST, whereas after the DSTUpdater had been installed, it
    would handle the time change correctly.

    Lefty

+ Reply to Thread