Treo650 - How Can I Be Sure I Hung Up? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Treo650 - How Can I Be Sure I Hung Up? - Palmtop ; This must be something obvious that I'm just not seeing. After I finish a phone call on the Treo, or finish a Web connection, how can I be sure that the connection is terminated? There is a Hang Up icon ...

  1. Treo650 - How Can I Be Sure I Hung Up?

    This must be something obvious that I'm just not seeing.

    After I finish a phone call on the Treo, or finish a Web connection, how
    can I be sure that the connection is terminated? There is a Hang Up icon
    that appears so fleetingly, sometimes I don't even have time to hit it.
    I don't like the idea that the connection may continue behind my back
    because that could ring up some very high charges - Web surfing costs
    about a Euro a minute! For the time being I'm actually turning the phone
    off and on again whenever I finish using it, just to make sure, but
    there must be an easier way, no?

    Thanks for your advice.

    Elisa Francesca Roselli
    Ile de France

  2. Re: Treo650 - How Can I Be Sure I Hung Up?

    Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:
    > This must be something obvious that I'm just not seeing.
    >
    > After I finish a phone call on the Treo, or finish a Web connection, how
    > can I be sure that the connection is terminated? There is a Hang Up icon
    > that appears so fleetingly, sometimes I don't even have time to hit it.
    > I don't like the idea that the connection may continue behind my back
    > because that could ring up some very high charges - Web surfing costs
    > about a Euro a minute! For the time being I'm actually turning the phone
    > off and on again whenever I finish using it, just to make sure, but
    > there must be an easier way, no?

    use packet data where you only pay for the data you transfer, and not
    pr. time you have the channel open.

    JonB

  3. Re: Treo650 - How Can I Be Sure I Hung Up?

    It is alleged that Elisa Francesca Roselli claimed:

    > After I finish a phone call on the Treo, or finish a Web connection, how
    > can I be sure that the connection is terminated? There is a Hang Up icon
    > that appears so fleetingly, sometimes I don't even have time to hit it.

    For the phone, it will generally "hang up" automatically when the line
    drops. If you want to be sure, go into the phone and hit the red
    button.

    For data, use a plan that charges by the byte and not by the minute,
    and you'll only be charged for actual usage even if the connection does
    stay open. You can tell if the data connection is open by the presense
    or absence of green arrows in the signal strength icon. If they're
    there, you've got an open data connection. If not, then you don't.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #132.
    Before appointing someone as my trusted lieutenant, I will conduct a
    thorough background investigation and security clearance.

  4. Re: Treo650 - How Can I Be Sure I Hung Up?

    Jon Bendtsen wrote:

    > use packet data where you only pay for the data you transfer, and not
    > pr. time you have the channel open.

    With some carriers/areas/countries, you have no choice.

    --
    Linux Registered User # 302622

  5. Re: Treo650 - How Can I Be Sure I Hung Up?

    Elisa Francesca Roselli skrev i 45ccaf53$0$1984$426a34cc@news.free.fr
    dette:
    > This must be something obvious that I'm just not seeing.
    >
    > After I finish a phone call on the Treo, or finish a Web connection,
    > how can I be sure that the connection is terminated? There is a Hang
    > Up icon that appears so fleetingly, sometimes I don't even have time
    > to hit it. I don't like the idea that the connection may continue
    > behind my back because that could ring up some very high charges -
    > Web surfing costs about a Euro a minute!

    Find a provider offering GPRS, where You're paying for the traffic and not
    per minute. I know both Bouygues and Orange offers GPRS.

    regards
    Jan

    --
    Fotoamatør af Guds (u)nåde. | A: Der er altså også et liv uden for nettet!
    PS: Knipserier kan findes på | B: Såååeh - har du et link?

  6. Re: Treo650 - How Can I Be Sure I Hung Up?

    For the network/internet, go to preferences, network, and click the
    disconnect button.

    Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:
    > This must be something obvious that I'm just not seeing.
    >
    > After I finish a phone call on the Treo, or finish a Web connection, how
    > can I be sure that the connection is terminated? There is a Hang Up icon
    > that appears so fleetingly, sometimes I don't even have time to hit it.
    > I don't like the idea that the connection may continue behind my back
    > because that could ring up some very high charges - Web surfing costs
    > about a Euro a minute! For the time being I'm actually turning the phone
    > off and on again whenever I finish using it, just to make sure, but
    > there must be an easier way, no?
    >
    > Thanks for your advice.
    >
    > Elisa Francesca Roselli
    > Ile de France