Screen protector question - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Screen protector question - Palmtop ; Just recently moved to Palm after about three years of an iPaq, and I love it. Unlike my Pocket PC experience, the Palm just works, time after time after time after . . . . . I am sure you ...

  1. Screen protector question

    Just recently moved to Palm after about three years of an iPaq, and I love
    it. Unlike my Pocket PC experience, the Palm just works, time after time
    after time after . . . . . I am sure you get the idea.

    I enjoy using Graffitti but the "slipperiness" of the stylus on the writing
    area causes me to often misform the strokes and I get the wrong letter on
    the screen. I had the same problem with the iPaq and used the on screen kb
    as a result. I just wondered if the screen protectors you can buy for the
    Palm give just a little friction for the stylus to work against. It would be
    really helpful if they did. I have never tried them, and would like to know
    before I hand over the bucks for a packet of the things. Thanks for any
    comments.
    --
    Peter in New Zealand. (Pull the plug out to reply.)
    Collector of old cameras, tropical fish fancier, good coffee nutter, and

  2. Re: Screen protector question

    "Ray Ingles" wrote in message
    news:slrnes76ob.dsq.sorceror@localhost.localdomain ...
    > On 2007-02-02, Peter in New Zealand wrote:
    > > I just wondered if the screen protectors you can buy for the
    > > Palm give just a little friction for the stylus to work against.

    > That's been my experience with a Palm IIIxe and then a Handera 330.
    > The ones I used cut down on visibility a bit, but it was worth the
    > tradeoff. Now I use a Treo 650 and I've gotten used to the keyboard.
    >
    > --
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Ray Ingles

    Thanks Ray. It so happens that I am using a Palm IIIx, so my experience
    might parallel yours. I'll get a packet of the things and give them a try.
    Thank you for your comments. :-)

    --
    Peter in New Zealand. (Pull the plug out to reply.)
    Collector of old cameras, tropical fish fancier, good coffee nutter, and
    compulsive computer fiddler.

  3. Re: Screen protector question

    On Fri 02 Feb 2007 01:44:18p, "Peter in New Zealand"
    , wrote:

    > "Ray Ingles" wrote in message
    > news:slrnes76ob.dsq.sorceror@localhost.localdomain ...
    >> On 2007-02-02, Peter in New Zealand wrote:
    >> > I just wondered if the screen protectors you can buy for the
    >> > Palm give just a little friction for the stylus to work against.

    >> That's been my experience with a Palm IIIxe and then a Handera 330.
    >> The ones I used cut down on visibility a bit, but it was worth the
    >> tradeoff. Now I use a Treo 650 and I've gotten used to the keyboard.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Sincerely,
    >>
    >> Ray Ingles

    > Thanks Ray. It so happens that I am using a Palm IIIx, so my
    > experience might parallel yours. I'll get a packet of the things and
    > give them a try. Thank you for your comments. :-)
    >
    > --
    > Peter in New Zealand. (Pull the plug out to reply.)
    > Collector of old cameras, tropical fish fancier, good coffee nutter,
    > and compulsive computer fiddler.

    The best ones, in my opinion, are the ones marketed by Belkin. Thin,
    clear and they work very well. I get mine on eBay, but that might be
    difficult from New Zealand.

    For reference purposes (listed on eBay -- not mine):
    http://tinyurl.com/2kt5pv

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  4. Re: Screen protector question

    Thank you RonB for your comments. I actually have an online account with
    Dick Smith Electronics in New Zealand who list Belkin screen protectors for
    the Palm. Around 30 NZ$ for a packet of 12 seems quite a lot to me, but I
    have no experience of these things. That converts to 20.19 $US at the
    moment. Does that seem excessive to you? Thanks.

    --

    "RonB" wrote in message
    news:Xns98CBD30576E1Fezboard1lycoscom@news.datemas .de...
    > On Fri 02 Feb 2007 01:44:18p, "Peter in New Zealand"
    > , wrote:
    >

    > > "Ray Ingles" wrote in message
    > > news:slrnes76ob.dsq.sorceror@localhost.localdomain ...
    > >>
    > >> That's been my experience with a Palm IIIxe and then a Handera 330.
    > >> The ones I used cut down on visibility a bit, but it was worth the
    > >> tradeoff. Now I use a Treo 650 and I've gotten used to the keyboard.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Sincerely,
    > >>
    > >> Ray Ingles

    > > Thanks Ray. It so happens that I am using a Palm IIIx, so my
    > > experience might parallel yours. I'll get a packet of the things and
    > > give them a try. Thank you for your comments. :-)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Peter in New Zealand. (Pull the plug out to reply.)
    > > Collector of old cameras, tropical fish fancier, good coffee nutter,
    > > and compulsive computer fiddler.

    > The best ones, in my opinion, are the ones marketed by Belkin. Thin,
    > clear and they work very well. I get mine on eBay, but that might be
    > difficult from New Zealand.
    >
    > For reference purposes (listed on eBay -- not mine):
    > http://tinyurl.com/2kt5pv
    >
    > --
    > RonB
    > "There's a story there...somewhere"

  5. Re: Screen protector question

    On Fri 02 Feb 2007 11:08:15p, "Peter in New Zealand"
    , wrote:

    > Thank you RonB for your comments. I actually have an online account
    > with Dick Smith Electronics in New Zealand who list Belkin screen
    > protectors for the Palm. Around 30 NZ$ for a packet of 12 seems quite
    > a lot to me, but I have no experience of these things. That converts
    > to 20.19 $US at the moment. Does that seem excessive to you? Thanks.

    It does seem expensive because I get them from eBay for less than $5
    per 12, including shipping. But if I were buying them retail at a shop
    that's probably about what they would cost. They don't wear out very
    quickly. I've only put one on my Workpad c500 (Palm m500) and have used
    it for about a year and a half -- not heavy use, but it shows very
    little sign of wear.

    Still, you may be able to get one of the sellers on eBay to send them
    to New Zealand.

    (A quick check shows that the seller of the item referenced earlier
    does offer International Shipping. It looks like it would be about half
    the price you mention, even including Air Mail shipping.)

    Good luck.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  6. Re: Screen protector question

    > Still, you may be able to get one of the sellers on eBay to send them
    > to New Zealand.
    >
    > (A quick check shows that the seller of the item referenced earlier
    > does offer International Shipping. It looks like it would be about half
    > the price you mention, even including Air Mail shipping.)

    Thanks for that. I followed up the link you gave me (never been on eBay
    before, but well used to Trademe, which is the Kiwi equivalent only not as
    big of course). I paid the buy now for a packet, and just thought you might
    be interested in the figures. These are all NZ$ since it is the comparison
    rather than the absolute amount that is interesting.

    Retail at Dick Smith Electronics = 29.98
    Postage = 10.00
    Total = 38.98

    On eBay my total cost including international email = 16.69 (converted from
    US$)

    I actually know the manager of a Dick Smith branch about an hour's drive
    away. I will take huge satisfaction in waving this under his nose when they
    arrive.

    So, once again, thatks very much for the comments and the link.

    Kind regards, Peter

    --
    Peter in New Zealand. (Pull the plug out to reply.)
    Collector of old cameras, tropical fish fancier, good coffee nutter, and
    compulsive computer fiddler.

  7. Re: Screen protector question

    On Sat 03 Feb 2007 02:42:08a, "Peter in New Zealand"
    , wrote:

    > So, once again, thatks very much for the comments and the link.

    Your welcome. I hope the service is good. I think this is the same guy I
    bought my screen protectors from (two years ago, or so), so he's been at
    it for a long time. (At least the ad looks the same.)

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  8. Re: Screen protector question

    Whatever you eventually get, don't get too many. They seem to last a LONG
    time. I'm not a heavy user, but I have only had 2 on my M505 since the
    very beginning. The first on had a bit of a texture to it...it did impact
    visibility but seemed to help letter recognition. The current one was
    found on Ebay, about $5 including shipping from China I think, and is
    totally clear and smooth.

    art

  9. Re: Screen protector question

    "artrotic" wrote in message

    > Whatever you eventually get, don't get too many. They seem to last a
    > LONG
    > time. I'm not a heavy user, but I have only had 2 on my M505 since the
    > very beginning. The first on had a bit of a texture to it...it did
    > impact
    > visibility but seemed to help letter recognition. The current one was
    > found on Ebay, about $5 including shipping from China I think, and is
    > totally clear and smooth.
    >
    > art

    Thanks for that comment. I ordered a packet of twelve Belkin protectors from
    a seller on eBay, and they duely arrived in my mail box about two weeks
    later (I'm in New Zealand). I mucked up putting the first one on and had to
    scrap it, but the second attempt is a beauty. Slightly textured, and does
    affect visibility very slightly, but oh, what a difference it makes to
    Graffiti input. Sounds as though this packet will last me for a long time.
    That's good, seeing it cost me, including postage, about 60% of what the
    same thing would have cost me over the counter in NZ. And that's after
    converting the $US to $NZ! Thank you for your help.

    Peter

    --
    Peter in New Zealand. (Pull the plug out to reply.)
    Collector of old cameras, tropical fish fancier, good coffee nutter, and
    compulsive computer fiddler.

+ Reply to Thread