Sony Clie TG-50 dial-up Networking Problems - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Sony Clie TG-50 dial-up Networking Problems - Palmtop ; During a trial with using T-Mobile, I established a successful bluetooth PPP connection from my TG50 to the T-Mobile phone and successfuly surfed. I opted to continue my contract with Verizon Wireless. Whenever I perform a bluetooth PPP connection with ...

  1. Sony Clie TG-50 dial-up Networking Problems

    During a trial with using T-Mobile, I established a successful bluetooth
    PPP connection from my TG50 to the T-Mobile phone and successfuly surfed.

    I opted to continue my contract with Verizon Wireless. Whenever I perform
    a bluetooth PPP connection with my new Verizon Wireless phone, my username
    and password are exchanged fine, but the TG50 never seems to get an IP
    address. I found a shareware program called CheckWWW to perform a
    traceroute, and it cannot get past the PDA.

    I've tried to ssh into my own PC at home, and my logs do not show any
    incoming attempts on port 22.

    So, is there an alternate PPP dialer for Palm 5? Is there a free/trial
    program to at least show if the TG50 is getting an IP?

    I know the ISP connection does work because I set up a successful dialup
    network connection from my home PC via the cell phone (granted it was
    cabled), disabling the cable modem connection to ensure I was going
    through the phone, and surfed fine.

    I should try via a bluetooth connection with the PC next to see what
    happens that way...

    I also tried a terminal program from the PC to the phone and manually
    diialed in, noted the prompts the ISP provided, and scripted the prompts
    on the PDA. Still no luck Sad

    Thanks for any insight for a possible DUN altnerative for the PDA or
    whatever else might work.

    Scott

  2. Re: Sony Clie TG-50 dial-up Networking Problems

    On 2006-10-07, Scott Ehrlich wrote:

    > During a trial with using T-Mobile, I established a successful bluetooth
    > PPP connection from my TG50 to the T-Mobile phone and successfuly surfed.
    >
    > I opted to continue my contract with Verizon Wireless. Whenever I perform
    > a bluetooth PPP connection with my new Verizon Wireless phone, my username
    > and password are exchanged fine, but the TG50 never seems to get an IP
    > address. I found a shareware program called CheckWWW to perform a
    > traceroute, and it cannot get past the PDA.
    >
    > I've tried to ssh into my own PC at home, and my logs do not show any
    > incoming attempts on port 22.
    >
    > So, is there an alternate PPP dialer for Palm 5? Is there a free/trial
    > program to at least show if the TG50 is getting an IP?
    >
    > I know the ISP connection does work because I set up a successful dialup
    > network connection from my home PC via the cell phone (granted it was
    > cabled), disabling the cable modem connection to ensure I was going
    > through the phone, and surfed fine.
    >
    > I should try via a bluetooth connection with the PC next to see what
    > happens that way...
    >
    > I also tried a terminal program from the PC to the phone and manually
    > diialed in, noted the prompts the ISP provided, and scripted the prompts
    > on the PDA. Still no luck Sad
    >
    > Thanks for any insight for a possible DUN altnerative for the PDA or
    > whatever else might work.

    Your problem is Verizon.
    Verizon is known to cripple BlueTooth functionality in their phones.
    I suppose you changed phones, since a T-Mobile GSM phone is unusable on
    Verizons CDMA network.
    Google for "Verizon crippled bluetooth".

    Ton van Overbeek

+ Reply to Thread