Upgrading to a Palm Treo 600P from an old Palm Tungsten C - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Upgrading to a Palm Treo 600P from an old Palm Tungsten C - Palmtop ; Hello. Currently, my father has been using a Palm Tungsten C (with Franklin Covey) for about four years. He is thinking of getting a Palm Treo 600P. However, we are worried about software compatibilities and migrations. Will be able to ...

  1. Upgrading to a Palm Treo 600P from an old Palm Tungsten C

    Hello.

    Currently, my father has been using a Palm Tungsten C (with Franklin Covey) for about four
    years. He is thinking of getting a Palm Treo 600P. However, we are worried about software
    compatibilities and migrations. Will be able to migrate datas from Date Book and Address Book?
    How about the datas on the computer (Windows XP Media Center 2004/Pro. SP2 and 2000 SP4). Are
    there anything else to be concerned with?

    Thank you in advance.
    --
    "An ant is a wise creature for itself, but it is a shrewd thing in an orchard or garden." --Francis Bacon
    /\___/\
    ( )

  2. Re: Upgrading to a Palm Treo 600P from an old Palm Tungsten C

    On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 01:48:43 -0500, ANTant wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > Currently, my father has been using a Palm Tungsten C (with Franklin Covey) for about four
    > years. He is thinking of getting a Palm Treo 600P. However, we are worried about software
    > compatibilities and migrations. Will be able to migrate datas from Date Book and Address Book?
    > How about the datas on the computer (Windows XP Media Center 2004/Pro. SP2 and 2000 SP4). Are
    > there anything else to be concerned with?
    >
    > Thank you in advance.

    I hope you mean the 700p not the 600. The 700p is the current version of
    the Treo, it supports EVDO which makes a huge difference. The 600 is two
    generations back, it hasn't been available for a long time.

    I don't think that you should have any problems migrating to a 700p, all
    you have to do is hot sync it. I'm using Linux and I had no trouble
    migrating from a 650 to a 700p, all I had to do is sync the 650 with my
    Linux address and calender and then sync the 700p. You're using Windows
    which has better support than Linux so it should be at least as easy for
    you.

  3. Re: Upgrading to a Palm Treo 700P from an old Palm Tungsten C.

    > > Hello.
    > >
    > > Currently, my father has been using a Palm Tungsten C (with Franklin Covey) for about four
    > > years. He is thinking of getting a Palm Treo 600P. However, we are worried about software
    > > compatibilities and migrations. Will be able to migrate datas from Date Book and Address
    > > Book? How about the datas on the computer (Windows XP Media Center 2004/Pro. SP1 and 2000
    > > SP4). Are there anything else to be concerned with?
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance.

    > I hope you mean the 700p not the 600. The 700p is the current version of
    > the Treo, it supports EVDO which makes a huge difference. The 600 is two
    > generations back, it hasn't been available for a long time.

    Oops, you're right! 700p is what it should be.

    > I don't think that you should have any problems migrating to a 700p, all
    > you have to do is hot sync it. I'm using Linux and I had no trouble
    > migrating from a 650 to a 700p, all I had to do is sync the 650 with my
    > Linux address and calender and then sync the 700p. You're using Windows
    > which has better support than Linux so it should be at least as easy for
    > you.

    OK. Yeah, he will be using XP.
    --
    "An ant is a wise creature for itself, but it is a shrewd thing in an orchard or garden." --Francis Bacon
    /\___/\
    ( )

  4. Re: Upgrading to a Palm Treo 600P from an old Palm Tungsten C

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 01:48:43 -0500, ANTant wrote:
    >
    > > Hello.
    > >
    > > Currently, my father has been using a Palm Tungsten C (with Franklin Covey) for about four
    > > years. He is thinking of getting a Palm Treo 600P. However, we are worried about software
    > > compatibilities and migrations. Will be able to migrate datas from Date Book and Address Book?
    > > How about the datas on the computer (Windows XP Media Center 2004/Pro. SP2 and 2000 SP4). Are
    > > there anything else to be concerned with?
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance.

    > I hope you mean the 700p not the 600. The 700p is the current version of
    > the Treo, it supports EVDO which makes a huge difference. The 600 is two
    > generations back, it hasn't been available for a long time.
    >
    > I don't think that you should have any problems migrating to a 700p, all
    > you have to do is hot sync it. I'm using Linux and I had no trouble
    > migrating from a 650 to a 700p, all I had to do is sync the 650 with my
    > Linux address and calender and then sync the 700p. You're using Windows
    > which has better support than Linux so it should be at least as easy for
    > you.

    Whoa, baby. I don't know about the treo 700, but the 650 has a long and
    tattered history of not synchronizing well with MS Outlook 2003 running
    under MS Media Center OS. Palm doesn't support Media Center OS. Most of
    us who have tried do use it have failed. Palm won't help us and no
    other synch software seems available. Palm doesn't tell what they may
    do about working with Vista. My 650 does work well with MS Outlook 2003
    running under both Windows XP Home and Professional versions. Go
    figure! Beware!

  5. Re: Upgrading to a Palm Treo 600P from an old Palm Tungsten C

    > > > Currently, my father has been using a Palm Tungsten C (with Franklin Covey) for about four
    > > > years. He is thinking of getting a Palm Treo 600P. However, we are worried about software
    > > > compatibilities and migrations. Will be able to migrate datas from Date Book and Address Book?
    > > > How about the datas on the computer (Windows XP Media Center 2004/Pro. SP2 and 2000 SP4). Are
    > > > there anything else to be concerned with?
    > > >
    > > > Thank you in advance.

    > > I hope you mean the 700p not the 600. The 700p is the current version of
    > > the Treo, it supports EVDO which makes a huge difference. The 600 is two
    > > generations back, it hasn't been available for a long time.
    > >
    > > I don't think that you should have any problems migrating to a 700p, all
    > > you have to do is hot sync it. I'm using Linux and I had no trouble
    > > migrating from a 650 to a 700p, all I had to do is sync the 650 with my
    > > Linux address and calender and then sync the 700p. You're using Windows
    > > which has better support than Linux so it should be at least as easy for
    > > you.

    > Whoa, baby. I don't know about the treo 700, but the 650 has a long and
    > tattered history of not synchronizing well with MS Outlook 2003 running
    > under MS Media Center OS. Palm doesn't support Media Center OS. Most of
    > us who have tried do use it have failed. Palm won't help us and no
    > other synch software seems available. Palm doesn't tell what they may
    > do about working with Vista. My 650 does work well with MS Outlook 2003
    > running under both Windows XP Home and Professional versions. Go
    > figure! Beware!

    Well, he doesn't use Outlook 2003. He just uses the Franklin Covey that came with his old
    Palm Pilots. It worked fine under XP Media Center SP1 without problems. Media Center is
    actually based on Pro. version.
    --
    "An ant is a wise creature for itself, but it is a shrewd thing in an orchard or garden." --Francis Bacon
    /\___/\
    ( )

  6. Re: Upgrading to a Palm Treo 600P from an old Palm Tungsten C

    On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 16:50:20 -0500, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

    >Well, he doesn't use Outlook 2003. He just uses the Franklin Covey that came with his old
    >Palm Pilots. It worked fine under XP Media Center SP1 without problems. Media Center is
    >actually based on Pro. version.

    I have a treo 650 running a new windows media center computer also
    running XP64. The treo works great with everything. Yes I am using
    Outlook 2003 since I follow GTD

    Mark B Reinhold

    37 58 47.92 N
    121 43 42.60 W

    My Parole Officer says that cigars calm me down

+ Reply to Thread