Best plain vanilla Palm? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Best plain vanilla Palm? - Palmtop ; I'm researching Palms for my wife, whose IIIc has died. She doesn't need wifi, a camera, an mp3 player, a voice recorder, or any other bells and whistles at all; she just wants something that will provide the basic functions ...

  1. Best plain vanilla Palm?

    I'm researching Palms for my wife, whose IIIc has died. She doesn't
    need wifi, a camera, an mp3 player, a voice recorder, or any other
    bells and whistles at all; she just wants something that will provide
    the basic functions - contacts, datebook, notes, tasks - that were
    provided on the IIIc. Two requirements, however, are an excellent
    screen and a genuinely useful and easy-to-use grafitti function. I've
    looked at the latest models on the Palm site, and it looks as though
    one must choose between a lower-end Z22, which has fewer bells and
    whistles but also a more basic screen, or a higher-end Tungsten E2 or
    Palm TX, both of which seem to have excellent screens but also a bunch
    of features that will never be used.

    My main question is this: Are there any other Palm models produced in
    the last two years - but still on the market and still supported by
    Palm - that provide just basic functionality, a terrific screen, and a
    useable Grafitti function?

    As a sort of sidebar: why do so many people seem to really dislike
    Grafitti2?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Best plain vanilla Palm?

    syntheton@gmail.com wrote:

    > My main question is this: Are there any other Palm models produced in
    > the last two years - but still on the market and still supported by
    > Palm - that provide just basic functionality, a terrific screen, and a
    > useable Grafitti function?

    The Tungsten T or T2 models are probably what she should look at.
    They're pretty basic in functionality, though the voice recording is
    nice, and they have SD card slots, which the cheaper Zire models lack.

    I would also recommend a Tungsten E, but my friend has one which has
    developed a very audible screen whine, and apparently this is a common
    issue with that model.

    My personal PDA is a Tapwave Zodiac 2, which is very keen, but I would
    not recommend this to someone looking for a basic organizer-like device.

    > As a sort of sidebar: why do so many people seem to really dislike
    > Grafitti2?

    I don't like how some of the letters are formed, and I don't want to
    have to change my writing style. That's why I use TealScript, which lets
    you customize each letter individually to the way you write.

  3. Re: Best plain vanilla Palm?

    Per syntheton@gmail.com:
    >As a sort of sidebar: why do so many people seem to really dislike
    >Grafitti2?

    Dunno if it's Grafitti2 or my TX, but I find that character recognition has
    really gone down the tubes.

    On my Clie, I could literally write continuously for minutes on end with no
    errors at all - and pretty rapidly to boot.

    I resurrected it a few months ago just to A/B the Clie's character recognition
    with the TX's on the premise that maybe it was just *me* and not Grafitti2 or
    the TX. I concluded that it was not me.

    With the TX, every word seems tb a challenge. Even writing slowly and as
    clearly as I can, I don't think I could get through a dozen characters without
    at least one error and probably more like 2-3.

    I got TealScript and it helped some; but I still find my TX to be completely
    unsatisfactory Graffiti-wise - to the extent that I'm thinking seriously about
    migrating to a Windows-based device next time around.

    Only things keeping me from doing it today are cost and finding a replacement
    for BrainForest (hierarchical DB) that will import/convert my BF databases.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  4. Re: Best plain vanilla Palm?

    On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 10:23:58 -0400, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

    > Per syntheton@gmail.com:
    >>As a sort of sidebar: why do so many people seem to really dislike
    >>Grafitti2?

    > Dunno if it's Grafitti2 or my TX, but I find that character recognition has
    > really gone down the tubes.

    Just switch it to G1. It was *very* easy. A Google search should let you
    know how.

    --
    Doug Herr
    doug*at*wombatz*dot*com

  5. Re: Best plain vanilla Palm?

    In article <1157784407.900706.9090@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.co m>,
    syntheton@gmail.com wrote:

    > As a sort of sidebar: why do so many people seem to really dislike
    > Grafitti2?

    Because it is *slightly* different than Graffiti 1.

    Takes no time to figure it out.

    Pete

    --
    Use ROT-13 to decode my e-mail address.

  6. Re: Best plain vanilla Palm?

    "maz" wrote in message
    > In article <1157784407.900706.9090@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.co m>,
    > syntheton@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> As a sort of sidebar: why do so many people seem to really dislike
    >> Grafitti2?

    > Because it is *slightly* different than Graffiti 1.
    >
    > Takes no time to figure it out.

    The majority of characters, yes, but some of the funkiness... I couldn't
    cope with. Things like the "smart quotes" for example, or words starting
    with a "t" and it ending the previous word with that "t" heh.

    Just little things. But infuriating all the same.

    I initially dismissed G2 inside a few days, then decided, no I'll try it for
    six months. That's now over. I've reverted to G1 thinking, "yeah I'll
    struggle with this..." but sadly... I don't. Works a charm on my T2...

    The option for G1 or G2 would be handy, instead, it just requires a
    relatively simple procedure.

    Mind you the T2's Graffiti accuracy isn't as good as most of my other
    devices.

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  7. Re: Best plain vanilla Palm?

    In message maz
    wrote:

    >In article <1157784407.900706.9090@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.co m>,
    > syntheton@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> As a sort of sidebar: why do so many people seem to really dislike
    >> Grafitti2?

    >Because it is *slightly* different than Graffiti 1.
    >
    >Takes no time to figure it out.

    Sure, at least until you try to do a /t (menu, T)

    --
    Stop cleaning your ears with screwdrivers, lest you loosen the screws
    holding your tiny brain in place.

  8. Re: Best plain vanilla Palm?

    Per Doug Herr:

    >Just switch it to G1. It was *very* easy.

    I think I tried that before getting TealScript, but couldn't make it work.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  9. Re: Best plain vanilla Palm?

    Dekaritae wrote:
    > syntheton@gmail.com wrote:
    > I would also recommend a Tungsten E, but my friend has one which has
    > developed a very audible screen whine, and apparently this is a common
    > issue with that model.

    My wife & I own three T|E models between us and so far I've had only
    two problems -- one corner of the screen went dead in one, which I
    attribute to my being way too hard on the screen with the stylus. and
    the earphone jack gets loose after 6-9 months of using the thing as an
    MP3 player daily.

    The OP might find the Palm Z22 useful. Also, Palm's web site has the
    Zire 31 refub for sale for a very reasonable price.
    - henry

+ Reply to Thread