Dos emulator apps on PDA? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Dos emulator apps on PDA? - Palmtop ; I am a long time user of the DOS based HP 200LX palmtop . Great tool, (double speed, 32 MB usable ram, multi-tasking, great battery life, etc.) but it lacks a few items that modern PDAs have. Other than the ...

  1. Dos emulator apps on PDA?

    I am a long time user of the DOS based HP 200LX palmtop . Great tool,
    (double speed, 32 MB usable ram, multi-tasking, great battery life, etc.)
    but it lacks a few items that modern PDAs have. Other than the Linux based
    PDAs, do any of the Ipaq or Palm based PDAs have the ability to run DOS apps
    or have DOS emulators?

    Jeff

  2. Re: Dos emulator apps on PDA?

    On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 14:47:39 -0400, "William"
    wrote:

    >I am a long time user of the DOS based HP 200LX palmtop . Great tool,
    >(double speed, 32 MB usable ram, multi-tasking, great battery life, etc.)
    >but it lacks a few items that modern PDAs have. Other than the Linux based
    >PDAs, do any of the Ipaq or Palm based PDAs have the ability to run DOS apps
    >or have DOS emulators?

    PocketDOS is an emulator that runs on Pocket PCs. I believe it
    emulates DOS running on an 80286, some folks have run Windows 3.1, and
    some folks have run an older version of WordPerfect. Definitely not
    suitable for newer (32 bit) versions of Windows.

    XTCE is another possibility.

    I've never tried either, so I can't help more.

    >Jeff

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  3. Re: Dos emulator apps on PDA?

    r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote:
    > On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 14:47:39 -0400, "William"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am a long time user of the DOS based HP 200LX palmtop . Great
    >> tool, (double speed, 32 MB usable ram, multi-tasking, great battery
    >> life, etc.)
    >> but it lacks a few items that modern PDAs have. Other than the Linux
    >> based
    >> PDAs, do any of the Ipaq or Palm based PDAs have the ability to run
    >> DOS apps
    >> or have DOS emulators?

    > PocketDOS is an emulator that runs on Pocket PCs. I believe it
    > emulates DOS running on an 80286, some folks have run Windows 3.1, and
    > some folks have run an older version of WordPerfect. Definitely not
    > suitable for newer (32 bit) versions of Windows.
    >
    > XTCE is another possibility.
    >
    > I've never tried either, so I can't help more.

    Thanks. Useful to know.

    Jeff

+ Reply to Thread