How to develop a game for Palmtops/ Mobiles - Palmtop

This is a discussion on How to develop a game for Palmtops/ Mobiles - Palmtop ; I have developed a game in Java using Applets. I would like it to be transfer that game to Mobile Phones and small PDAs. But I am facing below Problems. 1. What screen size should be used In applet I ...

  1. How to develop a game for Palmtops/ Mobiles

    I have developed a game in Java using Applets. I would like it to be
    transfer that game to Mobile Phones and small PDAs.

    But I am facing below Problems.

    1. What screen size should be used

    In applet I use 600 x 400 Pixels

    2. What is the general screen size of PDA and Mobile Phones.

    3. Will they Support Applets. Java 1.2 version.

    4. Will they be fast enough to run Java Chat

    Any help will be appriciated.

    Thanks
    Sanny

  2. Re: How to develop a game for Palmtops/ Mobiles

    Sanny wrote:
    > I have developed a game in Java using Applets. I would like it to be
    > transfer that game to Mobile Phones and small PDAs.
    >
    > But I am facing below Problems.
    >
    > 1. What screen size should be used
    >
    > In applet I use 600 x 400 Pixels
    >
    > 2. What is the general screen size of PDA and Mobile Phones.

    You don't know. As much as you can, try to adapt your application to
    work correctly on a variety of screen sizes. If you can't do so, then
    you'll need to check the screen size and put a border around the game on
    larger screens.

    > 3. Will they Support Applets. Java 1.2 version.

    No. The correct approach to writing Java code to run on mobile phones
    is midlets. Midlets don't really track the same Java platform version
    numbers as the J2SE. They are loosely based on Java 1.1, but the entire
    standard library is replaced by the CLDC and MIDP, which provide some of
    the basic java.* packages as well as midlet-specific user interface
    classes. You won't be able to use AWT or Swing, or most of the Java 1.2
    standard API. Also, midlets based on CLDC 1.0 are forbidden from using
    floating-point numbers.

    PDAs are more complicated. Some of them implement CLDC/MIDP, while
    others implement can do CDC and PersonalJava and even the full J2SE. It
    depends heavily on which device you are using.

    > 4. Will they be fast enough to run Java Chat

    Chat isn't really a resource-intensive task, so I'm sure that just about
    anything would be fast enough to run a chat application. That said, the
    text entry mechanisms on a mobile phone aren't really good enough for
    chat, though admittedly that doesn't stop 13-year-olds from sending text
    messages all day long with them.

    --
    Chris Smith

+ Reply to Thread