Re: best Linux palmtop? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Re: best Linux palmtop? - Palmtop ; IO forgot to say : the Nokia Internet Tablet 770 ( http://europe.nokia.com/770 ) is running MAEMO, an open-source Linux based OS ( http://www.maemo.org/ ). Did not try it myself, I don't have any interest in Nokia's business... This palmtop is ...

  1. Re: best Linux palmtop?

    IO forgot to say : the Nokia Internet Tablet 770 (http://europe.nokia.com/770)
    is running MAEMO, an open-source Linux based OS (http://www.maemo.org/).

    Did not try it myself, I don't have any interest in Nokia's business... This
    palmtop is just interresting...

    Charly

  2. Re: best Linux palmtop?

    Charly wrote:

    >IO forgot to say : the Nokia Internet Tablet 770 (http://europe.nokia.com/770)
    >is running MAEMO, an open-source Linux based OS (http://www.maemo.org/).
    >
    >Did not try it myself, I don't have any interest in Nokia's business... This
    >palmtop is just interresting...

    That is what I went for (the Nokia 770) when my Palm Tungsten C looked
    like it was about to give up.
    In fact, the Palm still works but the screen has lots of near parallel
    lines flickering all over it. Usable still - but I have been trying to
    wean myself off it.

    The updated operating system (released mid-2006) has certainly
    improved it for me (speed and some functionality plus bug fixes around
    stability).
    When comparing it with a Palm, it lacks out-of-the-box PDA
    productivity applications (diary, calendar, desktop sync) and the POP3
    mail is slow to present the mail messages. However, there are quite a
    few open-source and free applications that add some of this
    functionality.
    Better wifi than on my T|C (it is 11g/b and has better range).

    I think that if Nokia and the community stick with it then it will
    only improve.
    --
    Rgds
    Paul Webster