Re: best Linux palmtop? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Re: best Linux palmtop? - Palmtop ; Tom wrote: > I've been nosing around looking for a good linux based palm-top. I've > been leaning towards installing my own linux (e.g. iPAQ instead of Sharp); > but I'm really just looking for more of the open-source types ...

  1. Re: best Linux palmtop?

    Tom wrote:
    > I've been nosing around looking for a good linux based palm-top. I've
    > been leaning towards installing my own linux (e.g. iPAQ instead of Sharp);
    > but I'm really just looking for more of the open-source types of tools (I
    > use linux primarily at home, and am tired of cobbling together things for
    > PalmOS - and the T5 doesn't seem to have a good unix available).

    Actually...

    http://hackndev.com/node/320

  2. Re: best Linux palmtop?

    On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 04:31:06 +0000, Dekaritae wrote:

    > Tom wrote:
    >> I've been nosing around looking for a good linux based palm-top. I've
    >> been leaning towards installing my own linux (e.g. iPAQ instead of Sharp);
    >> but I'm really just looking for more of the open-source types of tools (I
    >> use linux primarily at home, and am tired of cobbling together things for
    >> PalmOS - and the T5 doesn't seem to have a good unix available).

    > Actually...
    >
    > http://hackndev.com/node/320

    Probing down further gives us uninspiring pages like
    (http://hackndev.com/node/63):

    "Tungsten T5 Status (dated 27 Dec 2005)
    The [useless demo of] T5 garux is available at..."

    which made me think it wasn't very mature (for the T5, at any rate), and
    not particularly actively supported (last status date is 27 Dec 05)....

  3. Re: best Linux palmtop?

    On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 09:10:43 -0400, Tom wrote:

    >On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 04:31:06 +0000, Dekaritae wrote:
    >
    >> Tom wrote:
    >>> I've been nosing around looking for a good linux based palm-top. I've
    >>> been leaning towards installing my own linux (e.g. iPAQ instead of Sharp);
    >>> but I'm really just looking for more of the open-source types of tools (I
    >>> use linux primarily at home, and am tired of cobbling together things for
    >>> PalmOS - and the T5 doesn't seem to have a good unix available).

    >> Actually...
    >>
    >> http://hackndev.com/node/320

    >Probing down further gives us uninspiring pages like
    >(http://hackndev.com/node/63):
    >
    >"Tungsten T5 Status (dated 27 Dec 2005)
    >The [useless demo of] T5 garux is available at..."
    >
    >which made me think it wasn't very mature (for the T5, at any rate), and
    >not particularly actively supported (last status date is 27 Dec 05)....

    What about this? Nothing concrete, certainly nothing available for immediate
    purchase, but....

    http://www.palmsource.com/press/2006...lwroundup.html

    ACCESS and PalmSource Highlight Growing Momentum of ACCESS Linux Platform

    * Orange names ALP an Orange Approved Platform and announces the Orange
    Application Package for ALP
    * Company to hold ALP Developer Day
    * ACCESS Developer Network Announced
    * Newly created software library released to open source community

    LinuxWorld Conference & Expo, San Francisco, CA, August 14, 2006 ACCESS CO.,
    LTD., and its wholly owned subsidiary PalmSource, Inc., marked the start of the
    LinuxWorld Conference & Expo by highlighting the momentum continuing to build
    around the ACCESS Linux Platform (ALP). ACCESS and PalmSource are developing ALP
    to provide the industry with the first truly integrated, complete commercial
    grade mobile Linux platform. Visit ACCESS and PalmSource this week at LinuxWorld
    Conference & Expo in booth 502.

    (Note the date: August 14, 2006.)
    Michael B. Johnson

+ Reply to Thread