Re: best Linux palmtop? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Re: best Linux palmtop? - Palmtop ; Tom schrieb: >I've been nosing around looking for a good linux based palm-top. A Palm-Top runs PalmOS, doesn't it?...

  1. Re: best Linux palmtop?

    Tom schrieb:

    >I've been nosing around looking for a good linux based palm-top.

    A Palm-Top runs PalmOS, doesn't it?

  2. Re: best Linux palmtop?

    "Martin Brunner" wrote in message
    Tom schrieb:

    >I've been nosing around looking for a good linux based palm-top.

    A Palm-Top runs PalmOS, doesn't it?

    -=-=-

    No, a PalmOS device runs PalmOS, a palm-top is used to (typically) describe
    a fat candy bar style personal digital assistant.

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  3. Re: best Linux palmtop?

    Martin Brunner wrote:
    > Tom schrieb:
    >
    >> I've been nosing around looking for a good linux based palm-top.

    > A Palm-Top runs PalmOS, doesn't it?

    No, "palm-top" is, by analogy with "laptop", a generic term for any
    hand-held computer.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "The blind rulers of Logres

  4. Re: best Linux palmtop?

    On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 21:45:19 +0200, Martin Brunner wrote:

    > Tom schrieb:
    >
    >>I've been nosing around looking for a good linux based palm-top.

    > A Palm-Top runs PalmOS, doesn't it?

    What's happening with the Linux that PalmSource has been working on? has
    anyone commited to it? I'd love Linux on a Treo, if a 700L came out I'd
    upgrade in a second.

  5. Re: best Linux palmtop?

    In article news:<9a1e4$44f1f64f$3e63fcf4$5679@news.inode.at>, Martin
    Brunner wrote:
    > A Palm-Top runs PalmOS, doesn't it?

    Just hold that thought ... and maybe Windows Mobile will turn out to have
    been just a bad dream!

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  6. Re: best Linux palmtop?

    John W. Kennedy schrieb:

    >> A Palm-Top runs PalmOS, doesn't it?

    >No, "palm-top" is, by analogy with "laptop", a generic term for any
    >hand-held computer.

    Aren't they called PDA then?

  7. Re: best Linux palmtop?

    "Martin Brunner" wrote in message
    news:3e666$44f2afb6$3e63fcf4$27532@news.inode.at.. .
    John W. Kennedy schrieb:

    >> A Palm-Top runs PalmOS, doesn't it?

    >No, "palm-top" is, by analogy with "laptop", a generic term for any
    >hand-held computer.

    Aren't they called PDA then?

    -=-=-

    No. A palmtop is a subset of the personal digital assistant set. Just like
    a handheld.

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  8. Re: best Linux palmtop?

    wrote:

    >Tom schrieb:
    >
    >>I've been nosing around looking for a good linux based palm-top.

    >A Palm-Top runs PalmOS, doesn't it?

    Palm top = computer small enough to hold in the palm of your
    hand.

    Some Palm Top computers run DOS, such as the HP 95LX, 100LX
    and 200LX.

    --
    Vic Roberts
    Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  9. Re: best Linux palmtop?

    Martin Brunner wrote:
    > John W. Kennedy schrieb:
    >
    >>> A Palm-Top runs PalmOS, doesn't it?

    >> No, "palm-top" is, by analogy with "laptop", a generic term for any
    >> hand-held computer.

    > Aren't they called PDA then?

    "PDA" is probably more popular than "Palm-top" or "handheld", but they
    pretty much all mean the same thing (except that, in theory, you could
    make a hand-held computer that /wasn't/ a PDA, though I don't know of
    any in recent times).

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "The blind rulers of Logres

  10. Re: best Linux palmtop?

    On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:22:34 -0400, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 21:45:19 +0200, Martin Brunner wrote:
    >
    >> Tom schrieb:
    >>
    >>>I've been nosing around looking for a good linux based palm-top.

    >> A Palm-Top runs PalmOS, doesn't it?

    > What's happening with the Linux that PalmSource has been working on? has
    > anyone commited to it? I'd love Linux on a Treo, if a 700L came out I'd
    > upgrade in a second.

    I've not been hearing wonderful things about this availability. Wasn't,
    once it was sold off to some asian company (sorry, can't remember their
    name, offhand), it tied up in some sort of legal headaches?

    I'd had high hopes - but haven't even heard any mumblage about this is
    *months*....

+ Reply to Thread