Syncing 2 palms w the same contacts/agenda - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Syncing 2 palms w the same contacts/agenda - Palmtop ; Hello Palm gurus, is it possible to share the same agenda/contacts on two palms (same model)? I mean, if two people have the same contacts and wander around with their own palm, each adding or modifying contacts on their own, ...

  1. Syncing 2 palms w the same contacts/agenda

    Hello Palm gurus,
    is it possible to share the same agenda/contacts on two palms (same model)? I
    mean, if two people have the same contacts and wander around with their own
    palm, each adding or modifying contacts on their own, will they be able to sync
    their modifications when they want to? Either directly with IR, or using a PC to
    achieve the sync.
    Seems a really basic function to me, but as I'm a programmer, I guess it's not
    so simple in real life.
    Thanks for your replies!
    JY.

  2. Re: Syncing 2 palms w the same contacts/agenda

    On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:32:06 +0200, jytou
    wrote:

    >Hello Palm gurus,
    >is it possible to share the same agenda/contacts on two palms (same model)? I
    >mean, if two people have the same contacts and wander around with their own
    >palm, each adding or modifying contacts on their own, will they be able to sync
    >their modifications when they want to? Either directly with IR, or using a PC to
    >achieve the sync.
    >Seems a really basic function to me, but as I'm a programmer, I guess it's not
    >so simple in real life.
    >Thanks for your replies!
    >JY.

    You can sync to two computers but if may lead to weird
    results if the applications are being randomly updated. If
    HotSync finds that the same record has been modified on each
    machine since the last HotSync it copies each of the
    modified records to the other device. That will create
    double records if both have been updated. That is HotSync
    can merge two Appt and Contact databases, but it cannot
    merge individual records. In fact, it would not know how to
    merge the records, so instead of throwing one away it keeps
    both.

    Since you are a programmer, can you create the decision tree
    for merging records? For example, if the telephone number
    for Jane Doe is changed on both machines which one should be
    retained?

    --
    Vic Roberts
    Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  3. Re: Syncing 2 palms w the same contacts/agenda

    Thanks for your reply,
    about the merge of a record that has been changed on both machines, this is a
    conflict and the app should pop up the user to solve the problem during the
    merge. Only the user can know which data should be retained in such a case.
    Fairly basic and straightforward for a synchronizing app, uh?

    Actually, I have much more needs such as syncing only a category of events (a
    shared category) or contacts, and leave the other categories as they are on each
    palm.

    Thanks anyway for your reply.
    JY.

    Victor Roberts a écrit :
    > On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:32:06 +0200, jytou
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hello Palm gurus,
    >> is it possible to share the same agenda/contacts on two palms (same model)? I
    >> mean, if two people have the same contacts and wander around with their own
    >> palm, each adding or modifying contacts on their own, will they be able to sync
    >> their modifications when they want to? Either directly with IR, or using a PC to
    >> achieve the sync.
    >> Seems a really basic function to me, but as I'm a programmer, I guess it's not
    >> so simple in real life.
    >> Thanks for your replies!
    >> JY.

    > You can sync to two computers but if may lead to weird
    > results if the applications are being randomly updated. If
    > HotSync finds that the same record has been modified on each
    > machine since the last HotSync it copies each of the
    > modified records to the other device. That will create
    > double records if both have been updated. That is HotSync
    > can merge two Appt and Contact databases, but it cannot
    > merge individual records. In fact, it would not know how to
    > merge the records, so instead of throwing one away it keeps
    > both.
    >
    > Since you are a programmer, can you create the decision tree
    > for merging records? For example, if the telephone number
    > for Jane Doe is changed on both machines which one should be
    > retained?
    >
    > --
    > Vic Roberts
    > Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  4. Re: Syncing 2 palms w the same contacts/agenda

    In article <44ed9c46$0$865$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, jytou says...

    > Hello Palm gurus,
    > is it possible to share the same agenda/contacts on two palms (same model)? I
    > mean, if two people have the same contacts and wander around with their own
    > palm, each adding or modifying contacts on their own, will they be able to sync
    > their modifications when they want to? Either directly with IR, or using a PC to
    > achieve the sync.
    > Seems a really basic function to me, but as I'm a programmer, I guess it's not
    > so simple in real life.
    > Thanks for your replies!
    > JY.

    ReCox syncs Palm to Palm, some or all PIM data.

    --
    Jim Anderson
    ( 8(|) To eMail me, just pull "my_finger"

  5. Re: Syncing 2 palms w the same contacts/agenda

    On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:21:50 +0200, jytou
    wrote:

    >Thanks for your reply,
    >about the merge of a record that has been changed on both machines, this is a
    >conflict and the app should pop up the user to solve the problem during the
    >merge. Only the user can know which data should be retained in such a case.
    >Fairly basic and straightforward for a synchronizing app, uh?

    But that would mean that the sync could not be done
    unattended. Some people might like that approach, while
    others would prefer the duplicate record approach which lets
    them reconcile the differences later.

    --
    Vic Roberts
    Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  6. Re: Syncing 2 palms w the same contacts/agenda

    >about the merge of a record that has been changed on both machines, this is a
    >conflict and the app should pop up the user to solve the problem during the
    >merge. Only the user can know which data should be retained in such a case.
    >Fairly basic and straightforward for a synchronizing app, uh?

    This would be fairly irritating for a synchronizing app. It's
    probably asking the question at a time when you can't go to the two
    original records and figure out what happened without aborting the
    sync. And it may not be a convenient time to deal with the issue,
    such as the last-minute sync before leaving the PC for a while
    (work, travel, etc.). Result: you don't finish syncing often,
    which just makes the problem worse.

    Ideally, and in other situations I have done this and it works
    pretty well, you do a 3-way compare: new one on A, new one on B,
    and common ancestor old one. (I run into this on merging config
    files on OS upgrades. The script that does this usually asks very
    difficult-to-answer questions.) That way you CAN tell whether it
    was added on A or deleted on B. Unfortunately, this data is not
    kept available, and using it would mess up scenarios where you sync
    to multiple Palms without telling the PC you keep giving it different
    ones.

    Suggestion for general principles: if trying to merge two records
    that have been modified on both sides, and one field is blank and
    the corresponding one on the other side is not, use the one that
    isn't blank. You might occasionally "lose" data from the guy who
    told you he no longer has a cell phone number, so delete it, but
    that's less bad than losing a new number. However, you want to keep
    certain related fields as a group and always take them from the
    same record (e.g. Home Address, Home City, Home State, Home Zip and
    Home Country).

    >Actually, I have much more needs such as syncing only a category of events (a
    >shared category) or contacts, and leave the other categories as they are
    >on each
    >palm.

    Yes, that would be nice. Sync work stuff to the work computer, home stuff
    to the home computer, and don't "cross-pollinate" stuff between them.
    It might even work with several Palms: you have categories:

    Her Work (on her work computer and her Palm)
    Her Personal (on common home computer and her Palm)
    Our Personal (on common home computer and his and her Palms)
    His Personal (on common home computer and his Palm)
    His Work (on his work computer and his Palm)

  7. Re: Syncing 2 palms w the same contacts/agenda

    jytou wrote:
    > Hello Palm gurus,
    > is it possible to share the same agenda/contacts on two palms (same model)? I
    > mean, if two people have the same contacts and wander around with their own
    > palm, each adding or modifying contacts on their own, will they be able to sync
    > their modifications when they want to? Either directly with IR, or using a PC to
    > achieve the sync.
    > Seems a really basic function to me, but as I'm a programmer, I guess it's not
    > so simple in real life.
    > Thanks for your replies!
    > JY.

    Have you heard of a program called SyncUs? it is a windows program
    that stays on your desktop and allows you to compare 2 records from
    your palm desktop program. you can read more about it at:
    http://www.syncus.co.uk/

    I am a registered user that gets nothing out of posting this.

  8. Re: Syncing 2 palms w the same contacts/agenda

    I have a Palm TX and at the moment I am the only "user". I have considered
    getting my son a Palm and would have a similar problems. There is a setup
    procedure for "Profiles", will this allow me to duplicate data for multiple
    Palms?
    Doug.

    "Lostmedic" wrote in message
    news:1156595451.213871.255350@i3g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...

    > jytou wrote:
    > > Hello Palm gurus,
    > > is it possible to share the same agenda/contacts on two palms (same

    model)? I
    > > mean, if two people have the same contacts and wander around with their

    own
    > > palm, each adding or modifying contacts on their own, will they be able

    to sync
    > > their modifications when they want to? Either directly with IR, or using

    a PC to
    > > achieve the sync.
    > > Seems a really basic function to me, but as I'm a programmer, I guess

    it's not
    > > so simple in real life.
    > > Thanks for your replies!
    > > JY.

    > Have you heard of a program called SyncUs? it is a windows program
    > that stays on your desktop and allows you to compare 2 records from
    > your palm desktop program. you can read more about it at:
    > http://www.syncus.co.uk/
    >
    > I am a registered user that gets nothing out of posting this.

  9. Re: Syncing 2 palms w the same contacts/agenda

    In article , Doug
    says...

    > I have a Palm TX and at the moment I am the only "user". I have considered
    > getting my son a Palm and would have a similar problems. There is a setup
    > procedure for "Profiles", will this allow me to duplicate data for multiple
    > Palms?
    > Doug.
    >
    > "Lostmedic" wrote in message
    > news:1156595451.213871.255350@i3g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
    > >
    > > jytou wrote:
    > > > Hello Palm gurus,
    > > > is it possible to share the same agenda/contacts on two palms (same

    > model)? I
    > > > mean, if two people have the same contacts and wander around with their

    > own
    > > > palm, each adding or modifying contacts on their own, will they be able

    > to sync
    > > > their modifications when they want to? Either directly with IR, or using

    > a PC to
    > > > achieve the sync.
    > > > Seems a really basic function to me, but as I'm a programmer, I guess

    > it's not
    > > > so simple in real life.
    > > > Thanks for your replies!
    > > > JY.

    > > Have you heard of a program called SyncUs? it is a windows program
    > > that stays on your desktop and allows you to compare 2 records from
    > > your palm desktop program. you can read more about it at:
    > > http://www.syncus.co.uk/
    > >
    > > I am a registered user that gets nothing out of posting this.

    Profiles will setup any Palm with a known set of data before deployment,
    but it does not sync and does not assign a userID.

    --
    Jim Anderson
    ( 8(|) To eMail me, just pull "my_finger"

+ Reply to Thread