How to maximize PIM functions of Palm PDA? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on How to maximize PIM functions of Palm PDA? - Palmtop ; I was about to give up using Palm OS due to the unreliable quality control of its PDAs. Then I realized one thing, Palm OS is still far more versatile in terms of PIM functions than PalmPC. Nevertheless, Palm OS ...

  1. How to maximize PIM functions of Palm PDA?

    I was about to give up using Palm OS due to the unreliable quality control
    of its PDAs. Then I realized one thing, Palm OS is still far more versatile
    in terms of PIM functions than PalmPC.
    Nevertheless, Palm OS is still rather unpolished straight out of the box and
    needs lots of enhancements by 3rd Party applications before it can really
    shine.

    I would like to ask for YOUR VIEWS on HOW to ENHANCE Palm's PDA capabilties.

    1) PIM in general
    - Its a battle between Agendus and DateBk
    - Agendus is very buggy but full of innovative functions with a Desktop
    version
    - DateBk is robust, well designed and an efficient tool
    But are there more PIM software to choose from ?
    How to make the PIM functions more colourful and with more vibrant looking
    layout and eye pleasing fonts (like Pocket PC) ?

    2) Contacts
    - I prefer just using the Contacts that comes with Palm OS.
    Any other preferences and why ?

    3) Calendar
    - I used TMP for a while but went back to the original Calendar
    I have been looking for a Calendar software that has layout similar to
    Pocket PC (neater arrangements, more colour, each appointment represented by
    a block whose size is related to the duration of the appointment etc).
    Are there any such Calendar software in existence?

    4) To-do / Tasks
    - I use Manana to set and list my Long-term Goals (as categories) and
    shorter term sub-Goals (as tasks) Each of these sub-Goals are then
    transferred to the main Task list (To-do list).
    - I then use CanDo and Agendus to sort out my Task list each day to
    prioritize the items and organize the tasks I do each part of the day using
    icons
    Any better methods and better softwares?

    5) Memo
    - The in-build Memo is inferior to PocketPC's
    Any 3rd party apps Memo which has large size, allow fonts and colour, allows
    bullets and more ?

    6) Journal / Diary
    - I used to write my daily thoughts, journals and diary on DayNotez. Then I
    realize that my journals accumulated can only be read using Natara's own
    DayNotez software. I cannot save them in txt or doc or pdf format for later
    reference and in 30 year's time, I do not have DayNotez in use, all my
    journals will be inaccessible. Hence, I stopped using it.
    - I am now saving my journals in Memo ( 1 week per file) and then save them
    through Palm Desktop as doc files
    Are there any Journal software which can backup regularly, archive the files
    in doc / txt/ rtf format and has impregnable security ?

    7) Voice Recorder
    - No such function in Palm TX.
    Any easy solutions ?

    8) Hyperlinks
    - Not possible currently. Using wiki will make TX hang. I tried that in 2 TX
    which were just hard resetted. (TX has terribly QC)
    What can be done here?

    9) MS Office related
    - Documents to Go has more function than MS Word Mobile and Excel Mobile but
    it has (1) ugly layout (2) slow to open files and (3) causes TX to hang
    often ( in 2 different brand new TX)
    What are your experiences ?

    11) Character input
    - Graffiti One is a must
    - TextPlus is another must
    Any other experiences or recommendations?

    12) Project Planning
    - I use Bonsai to plan but found that sometimes files are lost even though I
    have saved it
    - A new version of Bonsai is now very expensive
    - I dislike Shadow personally
    Any other choices ?

    Just share your views and see if we can jointly create a more powerful PDA.
    Cheers

    Warren

  2. Re: How to maximize PIM functions of Palm PDA?

    "Warren W" wrote in message

    > I was about to give up using Palm OS due to the unreliable quality control
    > of its PDAs. Then I realized one thing, Palm OS is still far more
    > versatile
    > in terms of PIM functions than PalmPC.
    > Nevertheless, Palm OS is still rather unpolished straight out of the box
    > and
    > needs lots of enhancements by 3rd Party applications before it can really
    > shine.
    >
    > I would like to ask for YOUR VIEWS on HOW to ENHANCE Palm's PDA
    > capabilties.
    >
    > 1) PIM in general
    > - Its a battle between Agendus and DateBk

    Hmm...

    > - Agendus is very buggy but full of innovative functions with a Desktop
    > version

    I couldn't get to grips with Agendus. On the one hand, it has tremendous
    potential but on the other, as you say, it proved buggy and unresponsive.
    I'll have another look at it, though...

    DateBk has lots of potential too, but at the best part of a megabyte and
    given its slow performance, well I tried it but found the memory footprint
    and performance drag too much to deal with.

    > - DateBk is robust, well designed and an efficient tool

    I've used KSDatebook, which is a lightweight free Datebook replacement.
    It's a little prettier and adds more functionality, but not much more.

    > But are there more PIM software to choose from ?
    > How to make the PIM functions more colourful and with more vibrant looking
    > layout and eye pleasing fonts (like Pocket PC) ?

    Hmm. For me the beauty of PalmOS is its simplicity and ease of use. I want
    my device to skip to a PIM application *immediately* with *absolutely no
    lag* whatsoever. I can wait a minute for a game to load, or AvantGo*, but
    when I want to check an address or number, it has to do it immediately.

    *Although I don't use AvantGo at this time heh.

    > 2) Contacts
    > - I prefer just using the Contacts that comes with Palm OS.
    > Any other preferences and why ?

    Now I did like Agendus' Contacts application, since my Palm contains over a
    thousand contacts at any one time and the ABC DEF etc. buttons were
    useful...

    > 3) Calendar
    > - I used TMP for a while but went back to the original Calendar
    > I have been looking for a Calendar software that has layout similar to
    > Pocket PC (neater arrangements, more colour, each appointment represented
    > by
    > a block whose size is related to the duration of the appointment etc).

    The colour aspect is useful to a degree, but in terms of setting the
    wretched thing up, ahh I lost patience and use the standard application...

    > Are there any such Calendar software in existence?
    >
    > 4) To-do / Tasks
    > - I use Manana to set and list my Long-term Goals (as categories) and
    > shorter term sub-Goals (as tasks) Each of these sub-Goals are then
    > transferred to the main Task list (To-do list).
    > - I then use CanDo and Agendus to sort out my Task list each day to
    > prioritize the items and organize the tasks I do each part of the day
    > using
    > icons
    > Any better methods and better softwares?

    Pass I'm afraid. I tend to use my Tasks for the notes field, when writing
    articles.

    > 5) Memo
    > - The in-build Memo is inferior to PocketPC's

    Yes it is, but I use Memo for quick notes that I can't be bothered to
    categorise elsewhere. I've tried Slap! in the past but found it a little
    unstable.

    > Any 3rd party apps Memo which has large size, allow fonts and colour,
    > allows
    > bullets and more ?

    How about any word processor (Wordsmith, Word-to-Go, Quicksheet).

    > 6) Journal / Diary
    > - I used to write my daily thoughts, journals and diary on DayNotez. Then
    > realize that my journals accumulated can only be read using Natara's own
    > DayNotez software. I cannot save them in txt or doc or pdf format for
    > later
    > reference and in 30 year's time, I do not have DayNotez in use, all my
    > journals will be inaccessible. Hence, I stopped using it.

    Yes, that's annoying. Datebk 6 has a feature to collate your Daily Journal
    entries and dump it into a text file.

    > - I am now saving my journals in Memo ( 1 week per file) and then save
    > them
    > through Palm Desktop as doc files
    > Are there any Journal software which can backup regularly, archive the
    > files
    > in doc / txt/ rtf format and has impregnable security ?

    Nothing has impregnable security...

    But I use PDADefence and Zdocj. Zdocj is a small, basic but faaaast text
    editor. Nothing complicated at all, which is just why I like PalmOS
    really... I use this and TextSync to copy text files to and from the
    notebook and the PDA.

    However. My journaling is typically in the form of a personal log, I
    suppose, where I write all sorts of nonsence. In 2006 to date, I've waffled
    on at such length that the file is now close to 1,500,000 bytes. Much of
    the content is research or designed for articles and I use the file
    reasonably frequently as source, so in effect it's like a great big
    database...

    > 7) Voice Recorder
    > - No such function in Palm TX.
    > Any easy solutions ?

    I can't say I've used voice memos, typically because I don't like the sound
    of my own voice, heh. The TX doesn't have a microphone, does it?

    > 8) Hyperlinks
    > - Not possible currently. Using wiki will make TX hang. I tried that in 2
    > TX
    > which were just hard resetted. (TX has terribly QC)
    > What can be done here?

    Pass again, sorry.

    > 9) MS Office related
    > - Documents to Go has more function than MS Word Mobile and Excel Mobile
    > but
    > it has (1) ugly layout (2) slow to open files and (3) causes TX to hang
    > often ( in 2 different brand new TX)
    > What are your experiences ?

    Documents-to-Go has worked great for me (a variety of devices, currently a
    T2, but my wife Charlie uses a T3 and I'm on the verge of upgrading to a
    T3). I'm sure you have, but have you checked you have the latest patch for
    your version?

    That written, bundled software *should* work with the relevant device, eh?

    > 11) Character input
    > - Graffiti One is a must

    Agreed. Another reason why I'm currently sticking with the Tungsten T2 / T3
    machines.

    > - TextPlus is another must
    > Any other experiences or recommendations?

    For me, a physical connection suitable for a keyboard, but I'm debating if I
    can live without this and use my notebook computer. I figure, if I had
    Graffiti 1, maybe, but since the TX has neither a physically connected
    keyboard nor a properly reliable G1*, I'm stuck.

    Why a physical connection? It's more robust and much harder to be out of
    power in one component...

    *That I'm aware of...

    > 12) Project Planning
    > - I use Bonsai to plan but found that sometimes files are lost even though
    > have saved it
    > - A new version of Bonsai is now very expensive
    > - I dislike Shadow personally
    > Any other choices ?
    >
    > Just share your views and see if we can jointly create a more powerful
    > PDA.

    As I said above, one of the reasons why I get on so well with PalmOS is
    because of its beautiful simplicity. With the exception of games, which I
    don't consider to be "mission critical" applications, and Documents-to-Go,
    I've generally stuck with simple applications for simple users and as a
    combination, it's worked very well...

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  3. Re: How to maximize PIM functions of Palm PDA?

    I recently upgraded to a T|X from a Zire 72 and regretted it ever
    since. I have been tempted to return to my Zire but not yet.

    I thought he T|X would be better in many respects, mainly the larger
    screen. This is the major disappointment, even with the larger screen
    and landscape most of the built in apps have not been updated to use
    the extra screen space.

    Biggest issue for me is the utter waste of the large screen with most
    of Palms apps.

    How disappointed was I when I found the SMS application (messages) on
    my old Zire had more functions and was better all around than the SMS
    application on the T|X. Being an SMS junkie at work this is a major
    issue for me.

    The difference being that Messages on the Zire was written by PalmOne
    and SMS on the T|X was written by the current version of the Palm
    company.

    The Wi-Fi is useful thought let down by the web browser, I have tried
    the Opera app but Java support is buggy and it crashes more than it
    works.

    Email is the same as it has been for many years, the same as my Zire.
    So no improvement there, only that I can use Wi-Fi to connect.

    Tasks is the same.
    Notepad is the same.
    Memos is the same
    Favorites, what is that about!!!
    pTunes, never use, I have iPod

    Worldmate is a great application and with all my travels I use it a
    lot.
    Documents to go is also a great app, i use it all the time.

    Note: Worldmate and Documents were not developed by Palm.

    I like landscape mode, just wish the apps were written to be landscape
    aware.

    Calc is the same, I use MathU (RPN calculator), this does use the full
    display on the T|X.
    Contacts 5 by pdaperformance is good, though no SMS option.

    I like the Palm wireless keyboard, I use it a lot. My farther has a
    bluetooth keypoard (Freedom) for his iPaq and its terrible.

  4. Re: How to maximize PIM functions of Palm PDA?

    Sometime else I forgot.

    I have a shine new 3G cell phone (Sony Ericsson 610i) with UMTS
    support.

    Can I get it working with the T|X, I THINK NOT.

    I have given up on SMS support cuz the T|X app is inadequate.

+ Reply to Thread