Palm T|X AC Adapter - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm T|X AC Adapter - Palmtop ; I received my new Palm T|X last week and am generally satisfied with the unit, except for the AC adapter that came packed with the T|X. The adapter gets very hot when charging the T|X, much hotter than the Palm ...

  1. Palm T|X AC Adapter

    I received my new Palm T|X last week and am generally
    satisfied with the unit, except for the AC adapter that came
    packed with the T|X.

    The adapter gets very hot when charging the T|X, much hotter
    than the Palm adapters that came with my Tungsten E or
    Tungsten C and also much hotter than any other adapter I
    use, such as the ones for my cell phones, etc.

    This adapter is rated only for 120 volts and may use a
    series pass regulator instead of a switching regulator. It
    even gets warm when powering ONLY the light in the charging
    cradle without the T|X.

    I also purchased the Palm kit with the cradle and travel
    charger. The travel charger which is much lighter and also
    rated for 100 to 240 volts, does not even get warm when
    charging the T|X.

    I think the 120-volt adapter that shipped with the T|X is
    either defective or the design is defective. I have sent a
    message to Palm tech support notifying them about the high
    temperature and asking for a replacement. It will be
    interesting to see how they respond.

    --
    Vic Roberts
    Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  2. Re: Palm T|X AC Adapter

    Yes, mine gets hot also, however it seems to cool down when the charge is
    complete. Don't use it much as the TX is often on the USB cable.
    Doug

    "Victor Roberts" wrote in message
    > I received my new Palm T|X last week and am generally
    > satisfied with the unit, except for the AC adapter that came
    > packed with the T|X.
    >
    > The adapter gets very hot when charging the T|X, much hotter
    > than the Palm adapters that came with my Tungsten E or
    > Tungsten C and also much hotter than any other adapter I
    > use, such as the ones for my cell phones, etc.
    >
    > This adapter is rated only for 120 volts and may use a
    > series pass regulator instead of a switching regulator. It
    > even gets warm when powering ONLY the light in the charging
    > cradle without the T|X.
    >
    > I also purchased the Palm kit with the cradle and travel
    > charger. The travel charger which is much lighter and also
    > rated for 100 to 240 volts, does not even get warm when
    > charging the T|X.
    >
    > I think the 120-volt adapter that shipped with the T|X is
    > either defective or the design is defective. I have sent a
    > message to Palm tech support notifying them about the high
    > temperature and asking for a replacement. It will be
    > interesting to see how they respond.
    >
    > --
    > Vic Roberts
    > Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  3. Re: Palm T|X AC Adapter

    On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 11:28:15 GMT, "Doug"
    wrote:

    >Yes, mine gets hot also, however it seems to cool down when the charge is
    >complete. Don't use it much as the TX is often on the USB cable.
    >Doug

    I sent a message to Palm tech support via their web site
    yesterday (Saturday) and received a reply by e-mail within
    an hour or so. They said the adapter might be defective and
    I could have it replaced by contacting them via phone. They
    gave me the number, not toll free, and I was disconnected
    the first time after waiting 10 minutes, but the second time
    I reached someone who took my name and address and said a
    new unit would be sent on Monday. Pretty good service for a
    weekend.

    Do you charge with the normal USB hotsync cable or the
    special hotsync + charging cable? I notice that the
    charging icon is activated when using the normal hotsync
    cable but the battery charges very slowly.

    --
    Vic Roberts
    Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  4. Re: Palm T|X AC Adapter

    On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 09:27:00 -0400, Victor Roberts
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 11:28:15 GMT, "Doug"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, mine gets hot also, however it seems to cool down when the charge is
    >>complete. Don't use it much as the TX is often on the USB cable.
    >>Doug

    >I sent a message to Palm tech support via their web site
    >yesterday (Saturday) and received a reply by e-mail within
    >an hour or so. They said the adapter might be defective and
    >I could have it replaced by contacting them via phone. They
    >gave me the number, not toll free, and I was disconnected
    >the first time after waiting 10 minutes, but the second time
    >I reached someone who took my name and address and said a
    >new unit would be sent on Monday. Pretty good service for a
    >weekend.

    I'm pleased to report that the new AC adapter arrived today,
    Wednesday, which is very fast service. I am also very
    pleased to report that Palm sent a universal voltage (100 -
    240 volt) switching AC adapter that is much lighter and
    smaller than the original 120-volt only AC adapter which I
    believe must be a series-pass design, AND the new adapter
    does not get hot when in use.

    This new switching adapter is not the same model as the
    switching adapter that came with my Palm cradle system.
    It is similar, but a bit smaller and has a different design
    for the replaceable plugs.

    I don't know if this means that Palm knows there is a
    problem with the original adapter and have discontinued it,
    or they sent this model adapter only because it was the only
    one they had in stock.

    --
    Vic Roberts
    Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.