ARRGGHHH! Memory - Palmtop

This is a discussion on ARRGGHHH! Memory - Palmtop ; Is there a limit on the size of a SD memory card?? A PALM Rep?!?! told me, no. However, I can't get 2... yes 2! Tungsten E2's to recognize the existence of 3 different 2GB SD cards. They will read ...

  1. ARRGGHHH! Memory

    Is there a limit on the size of a SD memory card?? A PALM Rep?!?! told
    me, no. However, I can't get 2... yes 2! Tungsten E2's to recognize the
    existence of 3 different 2GB SD cards.

    They will read my 64mb and 256mb cards just fine. This is really
    pissing me off. If anyone knows how to remedy this, please help me.

    No suppositions please. I need a factual answer to this question.

    Thanks
    James

  2. Re: ARRGGHHH! Memory

    After replacing Allen with a small shell script on Thursday 20 Jul 2006
    23:58, the following appeared on stdout:

    > No suppositions please. I need a factual answer to this question.

    OK, it's a limitation of the FAT filesystem used on the Palm E2. It can
    read *up* *to* but not including 2GB. There is a hack to enable FAT32
    for 2GB support floating about somewhere, possibly here:

    http://www.palmpowerups.com/modules....op=MostPopular

    Scroll down a bit and you should see FAT32 driver. You also need the
    instructions, also possibly here:

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/comments/8032/

    NOTE: Usual disclaimers, this isn't sanctioned by Palm, slippery when
    wet, don't blame me if it bricks your Palm, take advice from anonymous
    Usenetizens with a truckload of NaCl.
    --
    Chronos

  3. Re: ARRGGHHH! Memory

    Chronos wrote:

    >OK, it's a limitation of the FAT filesystem used on the Palm E2. It can
    >read *up* *to* but not including 2GB. There is a hack to enable FAT32
    >for 2GB support floating about somewhere, possibly here:

    According to the Palm site a TE2 *will* work with a 2GB card:

    Solution ID: 34080

    Maximum SD expansion card size and transfer speed for palmOne handhelds

    LifeDrive: see Knowledge Library article 39823 instead of this article.

    Because Secure Digital (SD) and MultiMediaCard (MMC) technology continues to
    evolve, newer expansion cards may offer different features, such as larger
    capacity and faster transfer speed, than were available for us to test when we
    developed our handhelds. Although we couldn't test future expansion cards with
    older handhelds during development, we expect many newer expansion cards to work
    with older palmOne devices.

    The maximum size of expansion card that can be used in your device depends on
    the model.

    Treo 650, 600 Tungsten T5, E2 Zire 72 LifeDrive and newer devices
    We have tested 2GB expansion cards with these devices and can say with
    confidence that they will work in these palmOne devices.

    Tungsten T3, T2 Zire 71, 31 and previous devices
    The file system used by these models, and those that came before them, can
    support expansion cards up to (but not including) 2GB. At the time of writing,
    1.5GB cards are available, and these will work with these devices. 2GB cards
    will not.

  4. Re: ARRGGHHH! Memory

    "Allen" wrote:

    >Is there a limit on the size of a SD memory card?? A PALM Rep?!?! told
    >me, no. However, I can't get 2... yes 2! Tungsten E2's to recognize the
    >existence of 3 different 2GB SD cards.

    Try formatting the cards using the TE2. Just a guess.

    I don't own a TE2, but my 2GB card has been recognized by TE2's in store display
    models so I know they will work. I was thinking of buying a TE2 to replace my
    aging TE(1) but wanted to be sure my favorite software would work with it.
    Virtually every program failed in some way that works fine on my TE. Damn NVFS.
    And of course no sale...

    BTW my 2GB card was formatted on my TE and seems to work fine even though Palm
    says it shouldn't. Not sure why but no complaints...

  5. Re: ARRGGHHH! Memory

    Bill Marcum wrote:

    >On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 04:55:53 GMT, AaronJ
    > wrote:
    >> Chronos wrote:
    >>
    >>>OK, it's a limitation of the FAT filesystem used on the Palm E2. It can
    >>>read *up* *to* but not including 2GB. There is a hack to enable FAT32
    >>>for 2GB support floating about somewhere, possibly here:

    >> According to the Palm site a TE2 *will* work with a 2GB card:
    >>
    >> Solution ID: 34080
    >>

    >You have an old copy of the page. Now it says the E2 only goes up to 1 GB.
    >The new version of the page doesn't mention 1.5 GB cards. Has anyone
    >actually seen one?
    >
    > http://www.palm.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=34080

    I guess that my only thought after reading your post is that Palm is basically
    screwed up. Your reported NEW copy has a URL using Palm's OLD name. My OLD copy
    says that Palm actually TESTED the TE2 with 2GB cards and that they DO WORK. Do
    you suppose that they changed some TE2 hardware to reduce the SD capacity?? Or
    did they just arbitrarily change their minds. Or perhaps they didn't test enough
    cards with the TE2 and some like the OP's don't work? I think 'screwed up'
    probably fits the answer best.

    All I can say for sure is that my (sample of one) 2GB card works in all the
    store E2 models I have tried. And thank God for that because if it didn't I
    wouldn't have known how poorly the E2 and it's disastrous NVFS performs with my
    favorite software (that runs fine on my TE(1). And the one dictionary that
    actually does work, it took 10 seconds for a lookup whereas my 3 year old TE
    took just 2 seconds. Real progress don't you think...

+ Reply to Thread