Dead Tungsten C - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Dead Tungsten C - Palmtop ; My Tungsten C has been working well, but would not turn on at all when I tried to use it a couple of hours ago. The light comes on when it is placed in the cradle but all else is ...

  1. Dead Tungsten C

    My Tungsten C has been working well, but would not turn on
    at all when I tried to use it a couple of hours ago. The
    light comes on when it is placed in the cradle but all else
    is dead. There is no response when the Reset button is
    pushed. I tried Reset and the power switch together but
    don't know if I have the right sequence for a hard reset. Is
    there any other reset function?

    --
    Vic Roberts
    Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  2. Re: Dead Tungsten C

    Victor Roberts wrote:

    >My Tungsten C has been working well, but would not turn on
    >at all when I tried to use it a couple of hours ago. The
    >light comes on when it is placed in the cradle but all else
    >is dead. There is no response when the Reset button is
    >pushed. I tried Reset and the power switch together but
    >don't know if I have the right sequence for a hard reset. Is
    >there any other reset function?

    Is it about 3 years old?
    If so - perhaps the battery has finally given up.
    That seems to be what has happened to mine recently.
    --
    Rgds
    Paul Webster

  3. Re: Dead Tungsten C

    To: Paul Webster
    >> My Tungsten C has been working well, but would not turn on
    >> at all when I tried to use it a couple of hours ago. The
    >> light comes on when it is placed in the cradle but all else
    >> is dead. There is no response when the Reset button is
    >> pushed. I tried Reset and the power switch together but
    >> don't know if I have the right sequence for a hard reset. Is
    >> there any other reset function?

    An in-cradle reset, set the PDA in the hotsync cradle and push the reset
    button. This should reset the charging circuits.
    --- Synchronet 3.13a-Win32 NewsLink 1.83
    Shadow River BBS http://shadowriver.homeip.net:9003

  4. Re: Dead Tungsten C

    "Cyclops" wrote:

    > To: Paul Webster
    >>> My Tungsten C has been working well, but would not turn on
    >>> at all when I tried to use it a couple of hours ago. The
    >>> light comes on when it is placed in the cradle but all else
    >>> is dead. There is no response when the Reset button is
    >>> pushed. I tried Reset and the power switch together but
    >>> don't know if I have the right sequence for a hard reset. Is
    >>> there any other reset function?

    >An in-cradle reset, set the PDA in the hotsync cradle and push the reset
    >button. This should reset the charging circuits.

    No obvious immediate effect when I try that here. However, I have done
    it and am leaving it on the cradle to see if it springs back into life
    later in the day.
    --
    Rgds
    Paul Webster

  5. Re: Dead Tungsten C

    On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:50:19 +0100, Paul Webster
    wrote:

    >Victor Roberts wrote:
    >
    >>My Tungsten C has been working well, but would not turn on
    >>at all when I tried to use it a couple of hours ago. The
    >>light comes on when it is placed in the cradle but all else
    >>is dead. There is no response when the Reset button is
    >>pushed. I tried Reset and the power switch together but
    >>don't know if I have the right sequence for a hard reset. Is
    >>there any other reset function?

    >Is it about 3 years old?
    >If so - perhaps the battery has finally given up.
    >That seems to be what has happened to mine recently.

    Not the battery. My son took the TC apart and disconnected
    the battery. When the battery was reconnected the screen
    lit up but was all white. He Googled the problem and says
    the all white screen is rather common. We think the MoBo
    has died, but there are a lot of units available with
    cracked screens that are available for low cost. He's going
    to try that route to fix it. I have decided to move on to a
    TX so I can have Bluetooth to use for e-mail with my cell
    phone.

    --
    Vic Roberts
    Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  6. Re: Dead Tungsten C

    Paul Webster
    wrote:

    >"Cyclops" wrote:
    >
    >> To: Paul Webster

    >>An in-cradle reset, set the PDA in the hotsync cradle and push the reset
    >>button. This should reset the charging circuits.

    >No obvious immediate effect when I try that here. However, I have done
    >it and am leaving it on the cradle to see if it springs back into life
    >later in the day.

    Well - it did spring back into life after I left it charging overnight
    following the in-cradle reset.
    Thanks for that tip.

    --
    Rgds