Used Tungsten E caveats? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Used Tungsten E caveats? - Palmtop ; Hi. I'm offered a used Palm Tungsten E for cheap. Would love to try one but I've no idea about Palm devices. So could anyone tell me what are the caveats I should watch out for when going for a ...

  1. Used Tungsten E caveats?

    Hi. I'm offered a used Palm Tungsten E for cheap. Would love to try one
    but I've no idea about Palm devices. So could anyone tell me what are
    the caveats I should watch out for when going for a used Palm Tungsten
    E? What are the things that might create troubles on a one year old
    Tungsten? batteries? Also, is there a way to find out the manufacturing
    year of the device...something like the Nokia codes? Thanks for any
    advise.

  2. Re: Used Tungsten E caveats?

    someone.far@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi. I'm offered a used Palm Tungsten E for cheap. Would love to try one
    > but I've no idea about Palm devices. So could anyone tell me what are
    > the caveats I should watch out for when going for a used Palm Tungsten
    > E? What are the things that might create troubles on a one year old
    > Tungsten? batteries? Also, is there a way to find out the manufacturing
    > year of the device...something like the Nokia codes? Thanks for any
    > advise.

    The power switch breaks loose from the circuit board on the TE. It can
    be resoldered.

    The point on the circuit board where the speaker contacts make contact
    oxidizes causing the speaker to not work. This also can be cleaned up.

  3. Re: Used Tungsten E caveats?

    Speaker? I wan't aware it had one. By that do you mean the headphone socket?

    I had mine replaced under warranty - not a new one but refurbished.

    My complaints...

    1. Don't like Graffiti 2. Someone suggested I could load Graffiti 1, but
    by then I had invested time in learning Graffiti 2. Compared to my son's
    O2, input looks clumsy.

    2. I also had flip cover replaced under warranty - both covers split in
    hinge area. Poor quality!

    I don't think I would buy another Palm. My old Zire (original model) had
    little memory, but more user-friendly.

    John

    pailface88@yahoo.com wrote:

    > someone.far@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>Hi. I'm offered a used Palm Tungsten E for cheap. Would love to try one
    >>but I've no idea about Palm devices. So could anyone tell me what are
    >>the caveats I should watch out for when going for a used Palm Tungsten
    >>E? What are the things that might create troubles on a one year old
    >>Tungsten? batteries? Also, is there a way to find out the manufacturing
    >>year of the device...something like the Nokia codes? Thanks for any
    >>advise.

    > The power switch breaks loose from the circuit board on the TE. It can
    > be resoldered.
    >
    > The point on the circuit board where the speaker contacts make contact
    > oxidizes causing the speaker to not work. This also can be cleaned up.

+ Reply to Thread