Palm Tungsten T5 vs. TX Is the CPU really slower? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm Tungsten T5 vs. TX Is the CPU really slower? - Palmtop ; I need to replace my Tungsten T and I was debating buying a used T5 or a refurbished TX. I noticed the CPU speed dropped from 416MHz to 312MHz and the built in memory dropped from 256MB to 128MB. I'm ...

  1. Palm Tungsten T5 vs. TX Is the CPU really slower?

    I need to replace my Tungsten T and I was debating buying a used T5 or a
    refurbished TX. I noticed the CPU speed dropped from 416MHz to 312MHz and
    the built in memory dropped from 256MB to 128MB. I'm sold in the 802.11
    ability of the TX, but I can buy an SD card to do that. I can also
    supplement the memory with an SD card. The CPU speed is a concern. Is this
    a different generation chip so the slower CPU speed does not affect actual
    performance? Or is this an intentionally lighter product with true
    replacement for the T5 being the LifeDrive?

    My Tungsten T served me well for years until it went missing. I regret no
    being able to connect my USB GPS to the T, but otherwise it did what I
    needed. The 802.11 connection sounds like a real plus. I live and work in
    areas covered by 802.11 signals. Suggestions are welcome.

    Thanks

    Mark

  2. Re: Palm Tungsten T5 vs. TX Is the CPU really slower?

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 22:49:37 +0000, Mark C wrote:

    > I need to replace my Tungsten T and I was debating buying a used T5 or a
    > refurbished TX. I noticed the CPU speed dropped from 416MHz to 312MHz and
    > the built in memory dropped from 256MB to 128MB. I'm sold in the 802.11
    > ability of the TX, but I can buy an SD card to do that. I can also
    > supplement the memory with an SD card. The CPU speed is a concern. Is this
    > a different generation chip so the slower CPU speed does not affect actual
    > performance? Or is this an intentionally lighter product with true
    > replacement for the T5 being the LifeDrive?
    >
    > My Tungsten T served me well for years until it went missing. I regret no
    > being able to connect my USB GPS to the T, but otherwise it did what I
    > needed. The 802.11 connection sounds like a real plus. I live and work in
    > areas covered by 802.11 signals. Suggestions are welcome.

    I've got a T5, and (frankly) I'm not very keen on it. 802 wireless will
    cost you another $90 or so, and the BlueTooth is 1.1 - so throughput (for
    PPP over BT) is a bit of a dog. (Forget hotsynching over it, unless you
    have *real* patience).

    The "buzzing screen" will beset you after a few months, and you're kind of
    stuck (unless you want to replace it with a glass screen - caveat emptor).
    I get (very) occasional hangs - easily reset with a soft reset (but do I
    really need to do that?).

    You'll see a lot of LifeDrive frustration - I'd lean away from that. The
    TX is generally popular (I hear a lot of good things about it on this
    group....)

    -Tom

    [thinking next pda is going to be linux based - I'll miss DateBook5
    sorely; but a decent browser, non-usurious pricing on wireless and decent
    performance will probably go a long way towards making me feel better.]

  3. Re: Palm Tungsten T5 vs. TX Is the CPU really slower?

    In message <5wZng.7499$Tk.3531@trnddc08> "Mark C"
    wrote:

    >I need to replace my Tungsten T and I was debating buying a used T5 or a
    >refurbished TX. I noticed the CPU speed dropped from 416MHz to 312MHz and
    >the built in memory dropped from 256MB to 128MB. I'm sold in the 802.11
    >ability of the TX, but I can buy an SD card to do that. I can also
    >supplement the memory with an SD card. The CPU speed is a concern. Is this
    >a different generation chip so the slower CPU speed does not affect actual
    >performance? Or is this an intentionally lighter product with true
    >replacement for the T5 being the LifeDrive?

    My understanding, and I may be WAY off here, is that the TX's CPU is
    technically slower, but some processes were offloaded so the net result
    is that under normal usage, it's faster.

    That being said, it's one of the fastest PDAs I've played with, and the
    best 802.11b I've seen to date.

    --
    1989 - The movie "Batman," notches $100 million in 10 days,
    proving once and for all that the public can't get enough

  4. Re: Palm Tungsten T5 vs. TX Is the CPU really slower?

    I am very happy with my T5 after almost two years of use (I only hear a
    screen buzz that someone mentioned above, if I put my ear very close to
    the device and I am in a very quiet room?) I did buy the wireless card
    and my only complaint there is that it consumes power a lot faster than
    without it, however, I can usually get a few hours worth of use without
    any trouble if the battery was fully charged to start - I don't know how
    the power consumption is compared to the builtin WiFi. Regarding blue
    tooth networking, this comes in very handy and seems to hardly consume
    any power (PPP over the BT) and I find it to be only a little slower
    than the WiFi connections (on a Linux box as the router?)... however, I
    do agree with others that hotsync over BT is painfully slow ... I just
    set it up and walk away from it for awhile -- another option is not to
    hotsync "multimedia" and other large file types just sync your basic
    applications and that can be done in a few minutes - backup your media
    files through the "drive" function instead ....(does the TX have this
    function?) ... or onto a large SD card which can then be put on a PC
    with a cardreader ...

    Hope this helps - Manton

    Mark C wrote:
    > I need to replace my Tungsten T and I was debating buying a used T5 or a
    > refurbished TX. I noticed the CPU speed dropped from 416MHz to 312MHz and
    > the built in memory dropped from 256MB to 128MB. I'm sold in the 802.11
    > ability of the TX, but I can buy an SD card to do that. I can also
    > supplement the memory with an SD card. The CPU speed is a concern. Is this
    > a different generation chip so the slower CPU speed does not affect actual
    > performance? Or is this an intentionally lighter product with true
    > replacement for the T5 being the LifeDrive?
    >
    > My Tungsten T served me well for years until it went missing. I regret no
    > being able to connect my USB GPS to the T, but otherwise it did what I
    > needed. The 802.11 connection sounds like a real plus. I live and work in
    > areas covered by 802.11 signals. Suggestions are welcome.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mark

  5. Re: Palm Tungsten T5 vs. TX Is the CPU really slower?

    To: Tom
    Tom wrote:
    > I've got a T5, and (frankly) I'm not very keen on it. 802 wireless will
    > cost you another $90 or so, and the BlueTooth is 1.1 - so throughput (for
    > PPP over BT) is a bit of a dog. (Forget hotsynching over it, unless you
    > have *real* patience).

    What are you using for BT hotsyncing? Is it over PPP or are you using
    BT serial? Also, WIDCOMM or MS drivers for bluetooth?

    > The "buzzing screen" will beset you after a few months, and you're kind of
    > stuck (unless you want to replace it with a glass screen - caveat emptor).
    > I get (very) occasional hangs - easily reset with a soft reset (but do I
    > really need to do that?).

    I can't speak for the hangs, but, the screen buzz can be stopped by
    purchasing Warpspeed for like $15-20 USD. Great cost for getting rid of
    that damn buzzing. Good app too for underclocking to reduce battery
    usage during lower CPU apps. I found that in pTunes my batt life while
    playing music was doubled.

    > You'll see a lot of LifeDrive frustration - I'd lean away from that. The
    > TX is generally popular (I hear a lot of good things about it on this
    > group....)

    What kind of lifedrive frustration?

    Give the TX about another 6 months, people will post everything wrong
    with it in a bit... I'm hoping Palm does something seriously new soon.
    --- Synchronet 3.13a-Win32 NewsLink 1.83
    Shadow River BBS http://shadowriver.homeip.net:9003

+ Reply to Thread