Upgrade M500 os 4.0 to 4.1 - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Upgrade M500 os 4.0 to 4.1 - Palmtop ; Can anyone help with upgrading my M500 OS please. I have a multi language M500 & cannot find where to upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1. Below is the official line from Palm "This version of the Palm OSŪ Software 4.1 ...

  1. Upgrade M500 os 4.0 to 4.1

    Can anyone help with upgrading my M500 OS please.
    I have a multi language M500 & cannot find where to upgrade from 4.0 to
    4.1.
    Below is the official line from Palm

    "This version of the Palm OSŪ Software 4.1 Upgrade for the Palm m500 and
    m505 handhelds Update is intended for US English handhelds only. It is not
    compatible with Multi-Language versions of the Palm m500 and m505
    handhelds"

    Thanks

  2. Re: Upgrade M500 os 4.0 to 4.1

    Don't know for sure but think I tried to do the same thing my google search
    revealed talk of the US version working but it giving the illusion of
    crashing the Palm, but that after a hard reset all was well and you were
    with 4.1. Oh, and also read somewhere that it only works with a Palm cradle
    with a serial connector rather than the USB. I bought a serial cradle from
    ebay and then never bothered upgrading as I was princiapply seeking to
    install 4.1 in the hope it would stop the frequent screen lock ups.
    Removing the screws from the back of the unit was the biggest leap forward
    in curing that problem - it seems to be in part something to do with
    pressure on the screen. The thing will stay clipped together quite happily
    without the screws. The other cause of lockups is that the m500's processor
    was just too slow

    "G.Townend" wrote in message
    > Can anyone help with upgrading my M500 OS please.
    > I have a multi language M500 & cannot find where to upgrade from 4.0 to
    > 4.1.
    > Below is the official line from Palm
    >
    > "This version of the Palm OSŪ Software 4.1 Upgrade for the Palm m500 and
    > m505 handhelds Update is intended for US English handhelds only. It is not
    > compatible with Multi-Language versions of the Palm m500 and m505
    > handhelds"
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --

  3. Re: Upgrade M500 os 4.0 to 4.1

    Hi,

    what you could do is "find" a 4.1 EFIGS ROM file plus ROM Crafter software
    and flash the ROM file into your m500. ROM Crafter is PC-based with
    back-up and restore functions and supports
    both USB and RS232 under Windows XP. This info stems from a buddy who is
    keepin' a long-eared critter for a pet.
    Take care