Does a Palm do this? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Does a Palm do this? - Palmtop ; I need a handheld device that wi-fi's so I can check email's on trips and not take a laptop. I am looking at the TX. Can it do this? I am often in an evironment with wifi. I want the ...

  1. Does a Palm do this?

    I need a handheld device that wi-fi's so I can check email's on trips and
    not take a laptop.

    I am looking at the TX.

    Can it do this?
    I am often in an evironment with wifi. I want the palm to check my email
    every 10 minutes or some such frequency, but I don't want to leave it on and
    connected via wi-fi the whole time (battery will die quickly)

    Can VersaMail be set so it checks for email via the wi-fi every so often,
    and then only keep the wi-fi on for the time it is checking mails?
    Or do I have to manually turn on wi-fi, then check mail, and then turn off
    my wi-fi?

    Is there a better device than the TX which I should look at?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Does a Palm do this?

    Hi,

    Verizon User wrote:
    > I need a handheld device that wi-fi's so I can check email's on trips and
    > not take a laptop.
    >
    > I am looking at the TX.
    >
    > Can it do this?
    > I am often in an evironment with wifi. I want the palm to check my email
    > every 10 minutes or some such frequency, but I don't want to leave it on and
    > connected via wi-fi the whole time (battery will die quickly)
    >
    > Can VersaMail be set so it checks for email via the wi-fi every so often,
    > and then only keep the wi-fi on for the time it is checking mails?
    > Or do I have to manually turn on wi-fi, then check mail, and then turn off
    > my wi-fi?

    Versamail can be set to check an email account as follows:

    - Every N hour from XX o'clock to yy o'clock every . Pretty
    flexible.

    If WiFi is totally off, Versamail can not on WiFi on its own. However,
    if WiFi was on and then you switch your palm off without turning off
    WiFi first, then Versamail will be able to switch the device on, connect
    to the router, and then load the emails.

    Unfortunately, after checking for emails, the device won't be turned off
    automatically. That said, after 2 minutes (you can also choose another
    duration), the device will turn itself off, thus disconnecting from
    WiFi. What I mean is, if WiFi is on, but not active, the device still
    turns off.

    I use this feature with QuickNews to load all the RSS feeds I want
    before I wake up.

    > Is there a better device than the TX which I should look at?

    If you have big emails with attachments, then you might prefer a
    LifeDrive, as the storage is bigger. I have one and am very delighted
    with it, despite all bad reviews found online.

    > Thanks.

    HTH,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

  3. Re: Does a Palm do this?

    Verizon User wrote:
    > I need a handheld device that wi-fi's so I can check email's on trips and
    > not take a laptop.
    >
    > I am looking at the TX.
    >
    > Can it do this?
    > I am often in an evironment with wifi. I want the palm to check my email
    > every 10 minutes or some such frequency, but I don't want to leave it on and
    > connected via wi-fi the whole time (battery will die quickly)
    >
    > Can VersaMail be set so it checks for email via the wi-fi every so often,
    > and then only keep the wi-fi on for the time it is checking mails?
    > Or do I have to manually turn on wi-fi, then check mail, and then turn off
    > my wi-fi?

    You can set Versamail to automatically disconnect (and connect I think)
    after getting mail. Not sure if you can schedule it to run every 10
    minutes, though. TX sounds like a good bet

  4. Re: Does a Palm do this?

    "Verizon User" aszonygya:
    :I need a handheld device that wi-fi's so I can check email's on trips and
    :not take a laptop.
    :
    :I am looking at the TX.
    :
    :Can it do this?

    Yes and no. It depends on the kind of WiFi there is. I can check e-mail and
    use the net at home, at our library but not at work or Panera or Starbucks
    which require logins and then they don't seem to work with Palms.

    /PaulN

  5. Re: Does a Palm do this?

    Laurent Bugnion aszonygya:
    :Versamail can be set to check an email account as follows:
    :
    :- Every N hour from XX o'clock to yy o'clock every . Pretty
    :flexible.

    This never worked on my Palms: TC and TX. Only crashes or nothing happened.
    /PaulN

  6. Re: Does a Palm do this?

    *******************
    > Unfortunately, after checking for emails, the device won't be turned off
    > automatically. That said, after 2 minutes (you can also choose another
    > duration), the device will turn itself off, thus disconnecting from WiFi.
    > What I mean is, if WiFi is on, but not active, the device still turns
    > off.=

    Thanks for your help. But after the device turns off, will it turn bck on
    again to check mails at whatever pretedermined frequency you set? And if
    wi-fi is on, but power turns off, is wi-fi on again when the palm wakes up?

    Thanks.

  7. Re: Does a Palm do this?

    Hi,

    Verizon User wrote:

    > *******************
    >> Unfortunately, after checking for emails, the device won't be turned off
    >> automatically. That said, after 2 minutes (you can also choose another
    >> duration), the device will turn itself off, thus disconnecting from WiFi.
    >> What I mean is, if WiFi is on, but not active, the device still turns
    >> off.=

    > Thanks for your help. But after the device turns off, will it turn bck on
    > again to check mails at whatever pretedermined frequency you set? And if
    > wi-fi is on, but power turns off, is wi-fi on again when the palm wakes up?
    >
    > Thanks.

    When the power goes off, WiFi goes off too, but in a "stand by" mode.
    When the device turns on again and attempts to connect, if it finds a
    WiFi server and if it can connect, then it does. (of course if you must
    enter username/password like on certain WLAN, or if the WLAN is not
    available, then it doesn't work). So basically, the answer to your
    question is yes, this is how it works, thanks to the "stand by" mode.

    HTH,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

  8. Re: Does a Palm do this?

    nevai@math.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) wrote:

    >"Verizon User" aszonygya:
    >:I need a handheld device that wi-fi's so I can check email's on trips and
    >:not take a laptop.
    >:
    >:I am looking at the TX.
    >:
    >:Can it do this?
    >
    >Yes and no. It depends on the kind of WiFi there is. I can check e-mail and
    >use the net at home, at our library but not at work or Panera or Starbucks
    >which require logins and then they don't seem to work with Palms.
    >
    >/PaulN

    I had problems using my TH55 in a specific hotel where you had to keep
    a web (sign-in) page open while browsing. It worked fine with my
    laptop BUT not with my palm. There are still some connection issues
    when relying on a palm to replace a laptop.

  9. Re: Does a Palm do this?

    Doug Mitton aszonygya:
    :nevai@math.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) wrote:
    :
    :>"Verizon User" aszonygya:
    :>:I need a handheld device that wi-fi's so I can check email's on trips and
    :>:not take a laptop.
    :>:
    :>:I am looking at the TX.
    :>:
    :>:Can it do this?
    :>
    :>Yes and no. It depends on the kind of WiFi there is. I can check e-mail and
    :>use the net at home, at our library but not at work or Panera or Starbucks
    :>which require logins and then they don't seem to work with Palms.
    :>
    :>/PaulN
    :
    :I had problems using my TH55 in a specific hotel where you had to keep
    :a web (sign-in) page open while browsing. It worked fine with my
    :laptop BUT not with my palm. There are still some connection issues
    :when relying on a palm to replace a laptop.

    Yep, the same with my TC and TX [and my Mac PowerBook which worked]. /PaulN

  10. Re: Does a Palm do this?

    To: nevai
    nevai wrote:
    > This never worked on my Palms: TC and TX. Only crashes or nothing happened.

    I use my T3 with a WiFi card, when I'm in a hot spot I turn on the auto
    connect/disconnect and works fine.

    Someone complained about logins for Starbucks and such, my college used
    to do that and it would tell you via WebPro (login via www was required
    before anything would work) that your login didn't work even when it
    did. So, I'd fire up webpro, login, even if it says it failed, try
    versamail, your login should last x amount of time while you're at a
    hotspot.
    --- Synchronet 3.13a-Win32 NewsLink 1.83
    Shadow River BBS http://shadowriver.homeip.net:9003

+ Reply to Thread