Linux network sync - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Linux network sync - Palmtop ; Has anyone managed to get a Tungsten T5 to network sync with a Linux box? For some reason I have had to disable USB in the BIOS to get the computer to run......

  1. Linux network sync

    Has anyone managed to get a Tungsten T5 to network sync with a Linux
    box? For some reason I have had to disable USB in the BIOS to get the
    computer to run...

  2. Re: Linux network sync

    On Thu, 04 May 2006 12:35:35 -0700, Robin wrote:

    > Has anyone managed to get a Tungsten T5 to network sync with a Linux
    > box? For some reason I have had to disable USB in the BIOS to get the
    > computer to run...

    Ya, I got it to work over Bluetooth and WiFi (much faster) once I got my
    WiFi card.

    There are several sites on the web that describe how to set everything up.

    As a matter of fact, I never did get the USB stuff working for my TX and I
    always network sync it.

  3. Re: Linux network sync

    __/ [ Ranma ] on Thursday 04 May 2006 22:02 \__

    > On Thu, 04 May 2006 12:35:35 -0700, Robin wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone managed to get a Tungsten T5 to network sync with a Linux
    >> box? For some reason I have had to disable USB in the BIOS to get the
    >> computer to run...

    > Ya, I got it to work over Bluetooth and WiFi (much faster) once I got my
    > WiFi card.
    >
    > There are several sites on the web that describe how to set everything up.
    >
    > As a matter of fact, I never did get the USB stuff working for my TX and I
    > always network sync it.

    Are you using any front end such as kpilot, gpilit, or jpilot? They often
    come with a wizard that assumes a connection via USB (you can specify the
    device path, e.g. /dev/usb/ttyUSB0). I never had any difficulties with
    SuSE and Ubuntu Palm synchronisation. Just a couple of minutes to set up,
    given that all the software is ready 'out of the box'. For what it's
    worth, here is the extensive HOWTO that has become a valuable reference
    for troubleshooting:

    http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/PalmOS-HOWTO.html

    Hope it helps,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | "This sig seemed like a good idea at the time..."
    http://Schestowitz.com | GNU/Linux PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

  4. Re: Linux network sync

    >>> Has anyone managed to get a Tungsten T5 to network sync with a Linux
    >>> box? For some reason I have had to disable USB in the BIOS to get the
    >>> computer to run...

    >> Ya, I got it to work over Bluetooth and WiFi (much faster) once I got my
    >> WiFi card.
    >>
    >> There are several sites on the web that describe how to set everything up.
    >>
    >> As a matter of fact, I never did get the USB stuff working for my TX and I
    >> always network sync it.

    >Are you using any front end such as kpilot, gpilit, or jpilot? They often
    >come with a wizard that assumes a connection via USB (you can specify the
    >device path, e.g. /dev/usb/ttyUSB0). I never had any difficulties with
    >SuSE and Ubuntu Palm synchronisation. Just a couple of minutes to set up,
    >given that all the software is ready 'out of the box'. For what it's
    >worth, here is the extensive HOWTO that has become a valuable reference
    >for troubleshooting:
    >
    >http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/PalmOS-HOWTO.html

    This document is from 2002. This is way older than PalmOS 5 and
    my TX.

    I really wish the pilot-link stuff would document all the stuff
    that can be used to specify the connection, which is *NOT* always
    a device name. I also suspect that usb:/dev/usb/ttyUSB0 has a much
    better chance at working than /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 .

    I have tried using the 'uvisor' driver on FreeBSD. It doesn't work.
    There are methods for talking to the Palm to get info on what USB
    pipe does what, and it comes up with nonsense, determined after
    adding extensive debugging to the driver. The code in there
    distinguishes between PalmOS 4 and 3.5, but it doesn't have code
    for PalmOS 5. There must be a different way to obtain this information
    for PalmOS 5.

    I have gotten sync to work over WiFi, but not USB. Another thing
    documented it seems only in source code is using net: as the device name.

    Gordon L. Burditt

  5. Re: Linux network sync

    On Fri, 05 May 2006 06:17:43 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Are you using any front end such as kpilot, gpilit, or jpilot? They often
    > come with a wizard that assumes a connection via USB (you can specify the
    > device path, e.g. /dev/usb/ttyUSB0).

    Technically, I'm using jpilot. But since 99% of what I want to do is
    install software and backup my Palm, I just scripted stuff around
    the pilot-link software (which jpilot uses).

    All I had to do was change the device to "net:" instead of
    "/dev/usb/ttyUSB0" for pilot-link and then do the usual setup on the TX
    side to do network syncing.

  6. Re: Linux network sync

    OK, did some research and used:
    pilot-xfer -p net:any -l
    After setting the IP address on my T5 (and computer name to "!!"),
    pressing Hotsync made all my databases get listed on my PC. From then
    on, setting device to "net:" as above, solved all my problems... so
    far.

    Thanks, guys!!!

+ Reply to Thread