Palm M100 - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm M100 - Palmtop ; I have an old Palm M100 that I have never really used. I'm thinking of dusting it off to be used for reading Ebooks. Before I dig up the hotsync cable and buy some batteries: Can anyone remind what kinds ...

  1. Palm M100

    I have an old Palm M100 that I have never really used. I'm thinking of
    dusting it off to be used for reading Ebooks. Before I dig up the
    hotsync cable and buy some batteries:

    Can anyone remind what kinds of files I can read on this unit? IE: PDF
    files, TXT files, DOC files.. LIT files, etc... ? Do i need some 3rd
    party software?

    Thanks in advance

  2. Palm M100

    To: s-y-n-e-r-g-y

    > I have an old Palm M100 that I have never really used. I'm thinking of
    > dusting it off to be used for reading Ebooks. Before I dig up the
    > hotsync cable and buy some batteries:

    Your biggest problem is going to be memory, the m100 only has 2megs.

    > Can anyone remind what kinds of files I can read on this unit? IE: PDF
    > files, TXT files, DOC files.. LIT files, etc... ? Do i need some 3rd
    > party software?

    Depends on your software, with stock software, only text files that you
    import into memo pad.

    If you're going to go for ebooks in general then I'd recommend you find out
    what your source is going to be, there are many formats out there that
    convert txt or doc files to palm readable. LIT files require MS reader,
    which I think is only for PocketPC.

    Look into perhaps if you have an older copy of Documents to Go if you already
    have books in TEXT or Word Doc format. IF you are getting books, eReader in
    conjunction with the Palm Store would be a good idea. iSolo is another
    widely used program that I use myself.

    Most things require conversion in some way to work with Palms.

    --- Synchronet 3.13a-Win32 NewsLink 1.83
    Shadow River BBS http://shadowriver.homeip.net:9003

  3. Re: Palm M100

    "Cyclops" wrote:

    > To: s-y-n-e-r-g-y
    >

    > > I have an old Palm M100 that I have never really used. I'm thinking of
    > > dusting it off to be used for reading Ebooks. Before I dig up the
    > > hotsync cable and buy some batteries:

    >Your biggest problem is going to be memory, the m100 only has 2megs.
    >
    > > Can anyone remind what kinds of files I can read on this unit? IE: PDF
    > > files, TXT files, DOC files.. LIT files, etc... ? Do i need some 3rd
    > > party software?

    >Depends on your software, with stock software, only text files that you
    >import into memo pad.
    >
    >If you're going to go for ebooks in general then I'd recommend you find out
    >what your source is going to be, there are many formats out there that
    >convert txt or doc files to palm readable.

    >LIT files require MS reader,
    >which I think is only for PocketPC.

    Unencrypted lit files can be converted to html (google clit) which can be read
    directly by some Palm programs. Or the resulting html file can be further
    converted to a doc file which then can be read by a Palm reader. Even though
    many of the ebooks posted are in lit, with a little work they still can be read
    on a Palm.

    >Look into perhaps if you have an older copy of Documents to Go if you already
    >have books in TEXT or Word Doc format. IF you are getting books, eReader in
    >conjunction with the Palm Store would be a good idea. iSolo is another
    >widely used program that I use myself.
    >
    >Most things require conversion in some way to work with Palms.
    >
    >--- Synchronet 3.13a-Win32 NewsLink 1.83
    >Shadow River BBS http://shadowriver.homeip.net:9003

+ Reply to Thread