Which Treo/PDA to get after Palm M515 and Tungsten C? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Which Treo/PDA to get after Palm M515 and Tungsten C? - Palmtop ; Hello all, My father is interested in buying the next best Palm Treo even if it means a new phone service. He has been a user of Palm M515 and Tungsten C with Franklin Covey for several years. He wants ...

  1. Which Treo/PDA to get after Palm M515 and Tungsten C?

    Hello all,

    My father is interested in buying the next best Palm Treo even if it means a new phone service. He has been a user
    of Palm M515 and Tungsten C with Franklin Covey for several years. He wants to replace his old Tungsten C because
    it is giving him and me headaches even though we tried resetting back to defaults, upgraded ROMs, etc. He wants a
    new PDA (hopefully a Treo 700) that will do these:

    1. Integrated phone so he can use the Internet (e.g., e-mails, Web, video/audio, etc.) and make and receive phone
    calls easily. No more multiple devices, configurations, cables, other addons, etc. He wants to be able to
    communicate online and verbally almost anywhere in U.S. and outside due to travelling.

    2. Enough memory. He is a disk/memory hogger. He had a 32 MB memory expansion with his Tungsten C and he hogged
    both easily.

    3. Supports Chinese and other Asian characters. He used CJKOS (http://www.dyts.com/en/cjkos.html) for his last two
    PDAs, but he was told that Treo doesn't support this because of the new Windows Mobile OS. It needs both inputs and
    outputs.

    4. Easy to migrate from old Tungsten C without redoing everything data. I am not sure how this will affect his
    non-English datas! He's a busy man so he doesn't have time to reinput everything by hand.

    5. Printer support. He loves to print wirelessly.

    6. Reliability and stability for many years (5 at least)!! It amazes me how buggy and easily a lot of programs
    crash, corrupt, etc. Also, the annoying known Tungsten C pen problem loses its calibration. Even the ROM upgrade
    doesn't fix it (helps a little).

    7. Windows 98 SE, 2000 SP4, and XP Media Center support. Serial and USB cable support. Vista probably later on.

    8. Good and quick support if problems come up. I don't know a lot of PDA, and I can't always be helping him to fix
    issues.

    Any advices are welcomed. Thank you in advance.
    --
    "The men of experiment are like the ant; they only collect and use. But the bee...gathers its materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of its own." --Leonardo da Vinci
    /\___/\
    ( )

  2. Re: Which Treo/PDA to get after Palm M515 and Tungsten C?

    wrote in message
    news:XrSdnYDrYonVqt7ZnZ2dnUVZ_tednZ2d@mminternet.n et...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > My father is interested in buying the next best Palm Treo even if it means
    > a new phone service. He has been a user
    > of Palm M515 and Tungsten C with Franklin Covey for several years. He
    > wants to replace his old Tungsten C because
    > it is giving him and me headaches even though we tried resetting back to
    > defaults, upgraded ROMs, etc. He wants a
    > new PDA (hopefully a Treo 700) that will do these:
    >
    > 1. Integrated phone so he can use the Internet (e.g., e-mails, Web,
    > video/audio, etc.) and make and receive phone
    > calls easily. No more multiple devices, configurations, cables, other
    > addons, etc. He wants to be able to
    > communicate online and verbally almost anywhere in U.S. and outside due to
    > travelling.
    >
    > 2. Enough memory. He is a disk/memory hogger. He had a 32 MB memory
    > expansion with his Tungsten C and he hogged
    > both easily.
    >
    > 3. Supports Chinese and other Asian characters. He used CJKOS
    > (http://www.dyts.com/en/cjkos.html) for his last two
    > PDAs, but he was told that Treo doesn't support this because of the new
    > Windows Mobile OS. It needs both inputs and
    > outputs.
    >
    > 4. Easy to migrate from old Tungsten C without redoing everything data. I
    > am not sure how this will affect his
    > non-English datas! He's a busy man so he doesn't have time to reinput
    > everything by hand.
    >
    > 5. Printer support. He loves to print wirelessly.
    >
    > 6. Reliability and stability for many years (5 at least)!! It amazes me
    > how buggy and easily a lot of programs
    > crash, corrupt, etc. Also, the annoying known Tungsten C pen problem loses
    > its calibration. Even the ROM upgrade
    > doesn't fix it (helps a little).
    >
    > 7. Windows 98 SE, 2000 SP4, and XP Media Center support. Serial and USB
    > cable support. Vista probably later on.
    >
    > 8. Good and quick support if problems come up. I don't know a lot of PDA,
    > and I can't always be helping him to fix
    > issues.
    >
    > Any advices are welcomed. Thank you in advance.

    Why not Palm TX or LifeDrive? Both support Bluetooth so integration with
    mobile sholdn't be a problem. Migration should also be very easy, and if the
    TX's memory is not enough, the the LifeDrive's 4GB surely will...

  3. Re: Which Treo/PDA to get after Palm M515 and Tungsten C?

    In comp.sys.palmtops JoeJoe wrote:

    > wrote in message
    > news:XrSdnYDrYonVqt7ZnZ2dnUVZ_tednZ2d@mminternet.n et...
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > My father is interested in buying the next best Palm Treo even if it means
    > > a new phone service. He has been a user
    > > of Palm M515 and Tungsten C with Franklin Covey for several years. He
    > > wants to replace his old Tungsten C because
    > > it is giving him and me headaches even though we tried resetting back to
    > > defaults, upgraded ROMs, etc. He wants a
    > > new PDA (hopefully a Treo 700) that will do these:
    > >
    > > 1. Integrated phone so he can use the Internet (e.g., e-mails, Web,
    > > video/audio, etc.) and make and receive phone
    > > calls easily. No more multiple devices, configurations, cables, other
    > > addons, etc. He wants to be able to
    > > communicate online and verbally almost anywhere in U.S. and outside due to
    > > travelling.
    > >
    > > 2. Enough memory. He is a disk/memory hogger. He had a 32 MB memory
    > > expansion with his Tungsten C and he hogged
    > > both easily.
    > >
    > > 3. Supports Chinese and other Asian characters. He used CJKOS
    > > (http://www.dyts.com/en/cjkos.html) for his last two
    > > PDAs, but he was told that Treo doesn't support this because of the new
    > > Windows Mobile OS. It needs both inputs and
    > > outputs.
    > >
    > > 4. Easy to migrate from old Tungsten C without redoing everything data. I
    > > am not sure how this will affect his
    > > non-English datas! He's a busy man so he doesn't have time to reinput
    > > everything by hand.
    > >
    > > 5. Printer support. He loves to print wirelessly.
    > >
    > > 6. Reliability and stability for many years (5 at least)!! It amazes me
    > > how buggy and easily a lot of programs
    > > crash, corrupt, etc. Also, the annoying known Tungsten C pen problem loses
    > > its calibration. Even the ROM upgrade
    > > doesn't fix it (helps a little).
    > >
    > > 7. Windows 98 SE, 2000 SP4, and XP Media Center support. Serial and USB
    > > cable support. Vista probably later on.
    > >
    > > 8. Good and quick support if problems come up. I don't know a lot of PDA,
    > > and I can't always be helping him to fix
    > > issues.
    > >
    > > Any advices are welcomed. Thank you in advance.

    > Why not Palm TX or LifeDrive? Both support Bluetooth so integration with
    > mobile sholdn't be a problem. Migration should also be very easy, and if the
    > TX's memory is not enough, the the LifeDrive's 4GB surely will...

    No, because he wants to carry only ONE device (PDA in a cellphone). He doesn't want to carry two
    devices anymore for his next upgrade. Hence, why he is interested in a Treo phone.
    --
    "The men of experiment are like the ant; they only collect and use. But the bee...gathers its materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of its own." --Leonardo da Vinci
    /\___/\
    ( )

  4. Re: Which Treo/PDA to get after Palm M515 and Tungsten C?

    It is alleged that ANTant@zimage.com claimed:

    >My father is interested in buying the next best Palm Treo even if it means a new phone service. He has been a user
    >of Palm M515 and Tungsten C with Franklin Covey for several years. He wants to replace his old Tungsten C because
    >it is giving him and me headaches even though we tried resetting back to defaults, upgraded ROMs, etc. He wants a
    >new PDA (hopefully a Treo 700) that will do these:

    The Treo 700w, currently the only Treo 700, is for the time being only
    offered by Verizon Wireless. Sprint should be getting it within a
    couple more months. Cingular and T-Mobile should follow shortly, if
    not at the same time. This is not a Palm smartphone, it's a Windows
    Mobile smartphone. Personally, I'm not expecting the 700p (PalmOS)
    until close to the end of the year, though rumor has it coming out
    sometime this Summer.

    >1. Integrated phone so he can use the Internet (e.g., e-mails, Web, video/audio, etc.) and make and receive phone
    >calls easily. No more multiple devices, configurations, cables, other addons, etc. He wants to be able to
    >communicate online and verbally almost anywhere in U.S. and outside due to travelling.

    If by "outside the US" you mean outside of North America, he'll want a
    Cingular or T-Mobile quad-band phone. These are the two GSM carriers
    in the US, and GSM is used pretty much exclusively in Europe and most
    of Asia, but on different frequencies than the US. Some Asian
    countries may use CDMA, I'm not sure. I have no clue what is used in
    Africa. I think South America uses both. Palm only makes one hardware
    version for the GSM carriers, so the GSM Treo 650s are all quad-band.
    IOW, it's a "world phone".

    >2. Enough memory. He is a disk/memory hogger. He had a 32 MB memory expansion with his Tungsten C and he hogged
    >both easily.

    The Treo 650 has 24M internal, and can take an 2G SD card.

    >3. Supports Chinese and other Asian characters. He used CJKOS (http://www.dyts.com/en/cjkos.html) for his last two
    >PDAs, but he was told that Treo doesn't support this because of the new Windows Mobile OS. It needs both inputs and
    >outputs.

    Well, yeah. Palm apps don't work on anything other than a Palm OS. It
    should work on a Treo 650.

    >4. Easy to migrate from old Tungsten C without redoing everything data. I am not sure how this will affect his
    >non-English datas! He's a busy man so he doesn't have time to reinput everything by hand.

    Treo 650.

    >5. Printer support. He loves to print wirelessly.

    Does the printer accept either IR or BT? The Treo 650 can send with
    either.

    >6. Reliability and stability for many years (5 at least)!! It amazes me how buggy and easily a lot of programs
    >crash, corrupt, etc. Also, the annoying known Tungsten C pen problem loses its calibration. Even the ROM upgrade
    >doesn't fix it (helps a little).

    Can't speak for such a time frame, but with the right set of software,
    the Treo 650 is stable. Not quite as stable as my old IIIx was, but
    now that the software I use has been updated for OS5 and the unique
    situations the NVFS gives, my Treo 650 has (re)gained the stability
    required.

    Even when I was having crash problems with it, I never lost any data,
    only prefs. But backup software, both on the desktop and to the SD
    card, makes this almost a non-issue as it's incredibly easy to restore
    the device.

    >7. Windows 98 SE, 2000 SP4, and XP Media Center support. Serial and USB cable support. Vista probably later on.

    I have heard that the current desktop software requires XP, but that
    seems silly. I've also heard that the Palm Desktop does +not+ work in
    Media Center.

    Why serial cable? Every version of Windows you listed supports USB. If
    you really want serial, you'll need to buy an adapter. I don't know of
    ANYTHING that uses the old serial port anymore. I know mine is empty
    as everything is on USB or FireWire now.

    >8. Good and quick support if problems come up. I don't know a lot of PDA, and I can't always be helping him to fix

    Good luck with that one. When you get a smartphone, at least a Treo,
    Palm says to talk to the carrier's support department. And most of the
    people there can't help and will pass you back to Palm where you've got
    a 50/50 chance of getting someone in India with an accent so thick,
    they may as well be speaking Hindi. (The CSRs there may be the most
    knowledgeable people on the planet, but if I can't understand the words
    they're speaking because of the accent, that knowledge is useless to
    me.)

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "You are touched by darkness, Ambassador. I see it as a blemish that
    will grow with time. I could warn you, of course, but you would not
    listen. I could kill you, but someone would take your place. So, I do
    the only thing I can. I go." (Elric, B5 "The Geometry of Shadows")

  5. Re: Which Treo/PDA to get after Palm M515 and Tungsten C?

    In comp.sys.palmtops Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > It is alleged that ANTant@zimage.com claimed:

    > >My father is interested in buying the next best Palm Treo even if it means a new phone service. He has been a user
    > >of Palm M515 and Tungsten C with Franklin Covey for several years. He wants to replace his old Tungsten C because
    > >it is giving him and me headaches even though we tried resetting back to defaults, upgraded ROMs, etc. He wants a
    > >new PDA (hopefully a Treo 700) that will do these:

    > The Treo 700w, currently the only Treo 700, is for the time being only
    > offered by Verizon Wireless. Sprint should be getting it within a
    > couple more months. Cingular and T-Mobile should follow shortly, if
    > not at the same time. This is not a Palm smartphone, it's a Windows
    > Mobile smartphone. Personally, I'm not expecting the 700p (PalmOS)
    > until close to the end of the year, though rumor has it coming out
    > sometime this Summer.

    OK, I will tell him that then.

    > >1. Integrated phone so he can use the Internet (e.g., e-mails, Web, video/audio, etc.) and make and receive phone
    > >calls easily. No more multiple devices, configurations, cables, other addons, etc. He wants to be able to
    > >communicate online and verbally almost anywhere in U.S. and outside due to travelling.

    > If by "outside the US" you mean outside of North America, he'll want a
    > Cingular or T-Mobile quad-band phone. These are the two GSM carriers
    > in the US, and GSM is used pretty much exclusively in Europe and most
    > of Asia, but on different frequencies than the US. Some Asian
    > countries may use CDMA, I'm not sure. I have no clue what is used in
    > Africa. I think South America uses both. Palm only makes one hardware
    > version for the GSM carriers, so the GSM Treo 650s are all quad-band.
    > IOW, it's a "world phone".

    > >2. Enough memory. He is a disk/memory hogger. He had a 32 MB memory expansion with his Tungsten C and he hogged
    > >both easily.

    > The Treo 650 has 24M internal, and can take an 2G SD card.

    > >3. Supports Chinese and other Asian characters. He used CJKOS (http://www.dyts.com/en/cjkos.html) for his last two
    > >PDAs, but he was told that Treo doesn't support this because of the new Windows Mobile OS. It needs both inputs and
    > >outputs.

    > Well, yeah. Palm apps don't work on anything other than a Palm OS. It
    > should work on a Treo 650.

    > >4. Easy to migrate from old Tungsten C without redoing everything data. I am not sure how this will affect his
    > >non-English datas! He's a busy man so he doesn't have time to reinput everything by hand.

    > Treo 650.

    > >5. Printer support. He loves to print wirelessly.

    > Does the printer accept either IR or BT? The Treo 650 can send with
    > either.

    I think he used IR with PrintBoy software on his Tungsten C. I don't know if his old printers even
    support BT. BT is newer than IR. But he will probably want both.

    Hmm, does anyone know about this? It came with his Toshiba notebook as a media center. I think MC is
    like Professional with more features.

    > >6. Reliability and stability for many years (5 at least)!! It amazes me how buggy and easily a lot of programs
    > >crash, corrupt, etc. Also, the annoying known Tungsten C pen problem loses its calibration. Even the ROM upgrade
    > >doesn't fix it (helps a little).

    > Can't speak for such a time frame, but with the right set of software,
    > the Treo 650 is stable. Not quite as stable as my old IIIx was, but
    > now that the software I use has been updated for OS5 and the unique
    > situations the NVFS gives, my Treo 650 has (re)gained the stability
    > required.

    > Even when I was having crash problems with it, I never lost any data,
    > only prefs. But backup software, both on the desktop and to the SD
    > card, makes this almost a non-issue as it's incredibly easy to restore
    > the device.

    > >7. Windows 98 SE, 2000 SP4, and XP Media Center support. Serial and USB cable support. Vista probably later on.

    > I have heard that the current desktop software requires XP, but that
    > seems silly. I've also heard that the Palm Desktop does +not+ work in
    > Media Center.

    > Why serial cable? Every version of Windows you listed supports USB. If
    > you really want serial, you'll need to buy an adapter. I don't know of
    > ANYTHING that uses the old serial port anymore. I know mine is empty
    > as everything is on USB or FireWire now.

    His old Celeron(?) laptop/notebook use serial with Windows 98 SE. I doubt he will use it there, but
    just in case.

    > >8. Good and quick support if problems come up. I don't know a lot of PDA, and I can't always be helping him to fix

    > Good luck with that one. When you get a smartphone, at least a Treo,
    > Palm says to talk to the carrier's support department. And most of the
    > people there can't help and will pass you back to Palm where you've got
    > a 50/50 chance of getting someone in India with an accent so thick,
    > they may as well be speaking Hindi. (The CSRs there may be the most
    > knowledgeable people on the planet, but if I can't understand the words
    > they're speaking because of the accent, that knowledge is useless to
    > me.)

    Thanks.
    --
    "The men of experiment are like the ant; they only collect and use. But the bee...gathers its materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of its own." --Leonardo da Vinci
    /\___/\
    ( )

  6. Re: Which Treo/PDA to get after Palm M515 and Tungsten C?

    ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > My father is interested in buying the next best Palm Treo even if it means a new phone service. He has been a user
    > of Palm M515 and Tungsten C with Franklin Covey for several years. He wants to replace his old Tungsten C because
    > it is giving him and me headaches even though we tried resetting back to defaults, upgraded ROMs, etc. He wants a
    > new PDA (hopefully a Treo 700) that will do these:
    >
    > 1. Integrated phone so he can use the Internet (e.g., e-mails, Web, video/audio, etc.) and make and receive phone
    > calls easily. No more multiple devices, configurations, cables, other addons, etc. He wants to be able to
    > communicate online and verbally almost anywhere in U.S. and outside due to travelling.
    >
    > 2. Enough memory. He is a disk/memory hogger. He had a 32 MB memory expansion with his Tungsten C and he hogged
    > both easily.
    >
    > 3. Supports Chinese and other Asian characters. He used CJKOS (http://www.dyts.com/en/cjkos.html) for his last two
    > PDAs, but he was told that Treo doesn't support this because of the new Windows Mobile OS. It needs both inputs and
    > outputs.
    >
    > 4. Easy to migrate from old Tungsten C without redoing everything data. I am not sure how this will affect his
    > non-English datas! He's a busy man so he doesn't have time to reinput everything by hand.
    >
    > 5. Printer support. He loves to print wirelessly.
    >
    > 6. Reliability and stability for many years (5 at least)!! It amazes me how buggy and easily a lot of programs
    > crash, corrupt, etc. Also, the annoying known Tungsten C pen problem loses its calibration. Even the ROM upgrade
    > doesn't fix it (helps a little).
    >
    > 7. Windows 98 SE, 2000 SP4, and XP Media Center support. Serial and USB cable support. Vista probably later on.
    >
    > 8. Good and quick support if problems come up. I don't know a lot of PDA, and I can't always be helping him to fix
    > issues.
    >
    > Any advices are welcomed. Thank you in advance.

    Hi ANTant,

    I would strongly recommend that your father reconsider the all in
    one solution. I use my Palm LifeDrive for business everyday, and at
    one time tried a Treo. The Treo was a little buggy, but what PDA is
    when it first is introduced. The big problem I had was that with the
    Treo, If I had a dead battery in my phone, it also meant I had a
    dead battery in my PDA. If the phone crashed I had to reboot
    everything. If the phone died. My PDA died with it.

    I tried the Treo for about 3 months, and after the second month,
    became sop frustrated I unboxed my Tungsten T|3 and had my Motorola
    turned back on.

    By the third month, I was barely using the Palm at all. Now I use a
    Motorola Razr through Cingular. I keep it clipped on my belt. I have
    a Plantronics Bluetooth headset, that I use for 90% of my phone
    calls. The LifeDrive has both wifi and Bluetooth, so when I am near
    a hotspot I use wifi. When I am not near a hotspot I use Bluetooth.
    I use BT-Toggle so Bluetooth is turned on and off as needed.

    I like the size of the LifeDrive screen. 4GB of hard disk is nice
    and I even bought a Socket MMP so that I can have it actually on and
    running 10+ hours a day.

    Ciao . . . C.Joseph

    And on the seventh day God said,
    "I will rest . . . Murphy take over."

  7. Re: Which Treo/PDA to get after Palm M515 and Tungsten C?

    On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:17:58 -0400, Jeffrey Kaplan spewed
    forth these words of wisdom:

    >The Treo 700w, currently the only Treo 700, is for the time being only
    >offered by Verizon Wireless. Sprint should be getting it within a
    >couple more months. Cingular and T-Mobile should follow shortly, if
    >not at the same time. This is not a Palm smartphone, it's a Windows
    >Mobile smartphone. Personally, I'm not expecting the 700p (PalmOS)
    >until close to the end of the year, though rumor has it coming out
    >sometime this Summer.

    It's likely that the Treo 700P will be announced sometime in May, and may be
    available as early as June.
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...p-on-may-15th/

    Galley

  8. Re: Which Treo/PDA to get after Palm M515 and Tungsten C?

    wrote in message
    news:XrSdnYDrYonVqt7ZnZ2dnUVZ_tednZ2d@mminternet.n et...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > My father is interested in buying the next best Palm Treo even if it means
    > a new phone service. He has been a user
    > of Palm M515 and Tungsten C with Franklin Covey for several years. He
    > wants to replace his old Tungsten C because
    > it is giving him and me headaches even though we tried resetting back to
    > defaults, upgraded ROMs, etc. He wants a
    > new PDA (hopefully a Treo 700) that will do these:

    I moved effortlessly from a Tungsten-C to a Treo 650, but I had to move a
    lot of my documents and programs to the memory card, because of Treo's
    smaller main memory. You may not have the same experience, because some
    programs are documented to not work at all with the Treo's memory-managing
    system.

    On the other hand, you will need all new software to move to a Treo 700,
    because it is Windows-based, not PalmOS-based. That is your only big
    decision, whether you want to stay in PalmOS, or convert to Windows pocket
    PC. If you want to convert to Windows, there are several other units to
    choose from, such as HP-Ipac, and Samsung D307. The Treo-650 is the ONLY
    Palm-OS unit worthy of consideration (I wish Sony or Samsung would make an
    entry.)

    I do miss the larger screen of the Tungsten C. And it's larger main memory,
    and larger keyboard. I really, really miss these. If I circulated regularly
    within wifi hotspots, I would be much happier staying with the TC + phone.
    Separate devices do make it much easier to talk and work at the same time.

    The Treo-650 is the closest thing he is going to get to his wishlist. But
    he still probably isn't going to like it. Try one out, and be prepared to
    return it within the return period if isn't suitable for his needs. He may
    need to wait 3 or 4 years for the next major entry in the phone-pda market,
    to get what he needs in one device.

    Or, it may NEVER be available in one device.

    And, he really should have a larger memory card, not matter which unit he is
    using.

  9. Re: Which Treo/PDA to get after Palm M515 and Tungsten C?

    In alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot etan wrote:
    > wrote in message
    > news:XrSdnYDrYonVqt7ZnZ2dnUVZ_tednZ2d@mminternet.n et...
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > My father is interested in buying the next best Palm Treo even if it means
    > > a new phone service. He has been a user
    > > of Palm M515 and Tungsten C with Franklin Covey for several years. He
    > > wants to replace his old Tungsten C because
    > > it is giving him and me headaches even though we tried resetting back to
    > > defaults, upgraded ROMs, etc. He wants a
    > > new PDA (hopefully a Treo 700) that will do these:

    > I moved effortlessly from a Tungsten-C to a Treo 650, but I had to move a
    > lot of my documents and programs to the memory card, because of Treo's
    > smaller main memory. You may not have the same experience, because some
    > programs are documented to not work at all with the Treo's memory-managing
    > system.

    This will be a problem. Does Treo 650 have more memory than Tungsten C? I forget how much it
    has. Why can't PDAs make more memory or more programs use the expansion memory? It's pretty
    frustrating!

    > On the other hand, you will need all new software to move to a Treo 700,
    > because it is Windows-based, not PalmOS-based. That is your only big
    > decision, whether you want to stay in PalmOS, or convert to Windows pocket
    > PC. If you want to convert to Windows, there are several other units to
    > choose from, such as HP-Ipac, and Samsung D307. The Treo-650 is the ONLY
    > Palm-OS unit worthy of consideration (I wish Sony or Samsung would make an
    > entry.)

    > I do miss the larger screen of the Tungsten C. And it's larger main memory,
    > and larger keyboard. I really, really miss these. If I circulated regularly
    > within wifi hotspots, I would be much happier staying with the TC + phone.
    > Separate devices do make it much easier to talk and work at the same time.

    > The Treo-650 is the closest thing he is going to get to his wishlist. But
    > he still probably isn't going to like it. Try one out, and be prepared to
    > return it within the return period if isn't suitable for his needs. He may
    > need to wait 3 or 4 years for the next major entry in the phone-pda market,
    > to get what he needs in one device.

    > Or, it may NEVER be available in one device.

    Is it not popular to have one device (PDA+phone)?

    > And, he really should have a larger memory card, not matter which unit he is
    > using.

    Yeah, but lots of programs don't like to be run from the memory card. Remember, he's a
    memory/disk hogger.
    --
    "The men of experiment are like the ant; they only collect and use. But the bee...gathers its materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of its own." --Leonardo da Vinci
    /\___/\
    ( )

  10. Re: Which Treo/PDA to get after Palm M515 and Tungsten C?

    It is a personal preference ... but carrying a single device seems to make
    sense. I currently have a 700w and think it is an awesome phone. I too
    experienced battery drain initially until I got my synchronization settings
    optimized. What is great about this unit is that you can sync to MS
    Exchange servers and have access to corporate email servers all of the itme.

    newsNX0g.19314$Ku3.15865@newsfe15.lga...

+ Reply to Thread