is there a Palm Smartphone that - Palmtop

This is a discussion on is there a Palm Smartphone that - Palmtop ; Hi, I'm looking for a Palm OS Phone that - is good and reliable as phone (no crashes etc.) - has an internal* antenna (not like the Treos) - is foldable* (like the Samsungs) - works in Europe (GSM900/1800). Is ...

  1. is there a Palm Smartphone that

    Hi, I'm looking for a Palm OS Phone that
    - is good and reliable as phone (no crashes etc.)
    - has an internal* antenna (not like the Treos)
    - is foldable* (like the Samsungs)
    - works in Europe (GSM900/1800).

    Is there anything available here? I need something that survives in my
    pockets. And this combination would be the best for a
    touch-screen-phone.

    Or maybe there is any other solution like running a Palm Emulator on a
    Pocket PC phone but I don't think this works fine. I have a Xplore G18
    now and it's very fine especially as phone (because it's more phone than
    organizer but still has Palm OS). Unfortunately it's has some annoying
    bugs and also the battery case is not very stable.

    * don't know the correct word, I hope you know what I mean.

  2. Re: is there a Palm Smartphone that

    Martin Brunner wrote:
    > Hi, I'm looking for a Palm OS Phone that
    > - is good and reliable as phone (no crashes etc.)
    > - has an internal* antenna (not like the Treos)
    > - is foldable* (like the Samsungs)
    > - works in Europe (GSM900/1800).
    >
    > Is there anything available here? I need something that survives in my
    > pockets. And this combination would be the best for a
    > touch-screen-phone.

    http://www.epinions.com/PDAs--review...s--gsm_support

    I think the best phones in terms of pocket-survivability are
    flip-phones. The Kyocera 7135 has a relatively small external antennae,
    while the Tungsten W has a stubby one, but isn't a flip-phone.

  3. Re: is there a Palm Smartphone that

    Dekaritae schrieb:

    >The Kyocera 7135 has a relatively small external antennae

    It sounds interesting but I didn't figure out if I can use it in Europe
    (GSM900/1800).

    >while the Tungsten W has a stubby one, but isn't a flip-phone.

    I wouldn't consider the Tungsten W to be a good phone since you cannot
    use it without headset. What I am looking for is a device that is very
    good as phone but also has Palm OS on it.

    Most Smartphones I saw are more more Organizer than phone and very worse
    as phone. They crash, their akkus only last short, they miss calls if
    you run certain programs etc. etc.

  4. Re: is there a Palm Smartphone that

    Martin Brunner wrote:
    > Dekaritae schrieb:
    >
    >> The Kyocera 7135 has a relatively small external antennae

    > It sounds interesting but I didn't figure out if I can use it in Europe
    > (GSM900/1800).
    >
    >> while the Tungsten W has a stubby one, but isn't a flip-phone.

    > I wouldn't consider the Tungsten W to be a good phone since you cannot
    > use it without headset. What I am looking for is a device that is very
    > good as phone but also has Palm OS on it.

    The Kyocera 7135 is CDMA-only. The GSM equivalent in form-factor is the
    Samsung i500 or i530.

  5. Re: is there a Palm Smartphone that

    Stimp schrieb:

    >> Seems there is no good Palm phone in the moment. :-(

    >nah.. get a Windows Mobile smartphone... the OS is much nicer to use too

    Not really. No synchronisation with conduits etc.

    And the Windows Mobile Smartphones I know also suffer from the same
    problems and ofter are even less useable as phone.

  6. Re: is there a Palm Smartphone that

    While stranded on information super highway Martin Brunner wrote:
    > Hi, I'm looking for a Palm OS Phone that
    > - is good and reliable as phone (no crashes etc.)
    > - has an internal* antenna (not like the Treos)
    > - is foldable* (like the Samsungs)
    > - works in Europe (GSM900/1800).
    >
    > Is there anything available here? I need something that survives in my
    > pockets. And this combination would be the best for a
    > touch-screen-phone.
    >
    > Or maybe there is any other solution like running a Palm Emulator on a
    > Pocket PC phone but I don't think this works fine. I have a Xplore G18
    > now and it's very fine especially as phone (because it's more phone than
    > organizer but still has Palm OS). Unfortunately it's has some annoying
    > bugs and also the battery case is not very stable.
    >
    > * don't know the correct word, I hope you know what I mean.

    What about Xplore Smartphone M98?

    Here are the specs:

    Features
    # GSM 900/ 1800/ 1900MHz
    # Palm OS? 5.4 Garnet
    # Display: External - 260K Color, TFT 96 x 96 pixels resolution

    # Internal - 260K Color, TFT 176 x 220 pixels resolution Toggle between
    Phone mode and PDA mode by one touch only
    # Full screen writing input, support both Chinese and English
    # Video caller ID
    # SMS Alarm
    # 1.3 mega pixels camera, with digital zoom and multi-shot function
    # Video viewing and recording function
    # MP3 playing and recording function
    # 40 poly ringtone support MIDI and MP3 format
    # Email support (POP3, SMTP) with viewing and editing attachment function
    # (in conjunction with application software) Support GPRS Class 10, xHTML,
    # WAP2.0, MMS, SMS
    # External TransFlash memory card expansion slot
    # Infrared and USB connectivity
    # Exciting Palm game

    --
    Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
    E-mail: NoJunkMailshah@xnet.com \ / ---------------------

  7. Re: is there a Palm Smartphone that

    Hemant Shah schrieb:

    >What about Xplore Smartphone M98?

    Yes that looks fine but since the Xplore G18 has some serious software
    bugs I'm really sceptic about GSL Xplore now. Also the test review I
    read said that the handy is nice but has some stupid flaws.

    Shame, GSL would make such fine phones if they didn't have some bugs.
    Also I do not know where to buy it, it's not on ebay.

  8. Re: is there a Palm Smartphone that

    While stranded on information super highway Martin Brunner wrote:
    > Hemant Shah schrieb:
    >
    >>What about Xplore Smartphone M98?

    > Yes that looks fine but since the Xplore G18 has some serious software
    > bugs I'm really sceptic about GSL Xplore now. Also the test review I
    > read said that the handy is nice but has some stupid flaws.
    >
    > Shame, GSL would make such fine phones if they didn't have some bugs.
    > Also I do not know where to buy it, it's not on ebay.

    Don't know about the bugs, but google says doml.com sells M98 for $429.00.

    --
    Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
    E-mail: NoJunkMailshah@xnet.com \ / ---------------------
    X against HTML mail
    TO REPLY, REMOVE NoJunkMail / \ and postings
    FROM MY E-MAIL ADDRESS.
    -----------------[DO NOT SEND UNSOLICITED BULK E-MAIL]------------------
    I haven't lost my mind, Above opinions are mine only.
    it's backed up on tape somewhere. Others can have their own.

+ Reply to Thread