I know this may seem dumb, but can I install apps from memory card - Palmtop

This is a discussion on I know this may seem dumb, but can I install apps from memory card - Palmtop ; can I install apps stored as .prc's on the memory card, and if so how? Do I need an installer prog? the reason I ask is that sometimes applications fall over or require removal/reinstall. If I can keep copies on ...

  1. I know this may seem dumb, but can I install apps from memory card

    can I install apps stored as .prc's on the memory card, and if so how? Do I
    need an installer prog?

    the reason I ask is that sometimes applications fall over or require
    removal/reinstall. If I can keep copies on the memory card and install at
    will that would be great while on the move. Currently I reinstall from my
    PC, which is not always convenient

  2. Re: I know this may seem dumb, but can I install apps from memory card

    "AngloSaxonMark" wrote:

    > can I install apps stored as .prc's on the memory
    > card, and if so how? Do I need an installer
    > prog? (snip)

    Click on the time (or press the menu icon) and select "copy" from the
    menu. Using that, you can move applications back and forth between a
    card and the main memory (in other words, install from the card into
    the main memory).

    One word of warning, however. This often, but not always, moves the
    application from the card into the main memory, leaving no copy on the
    card. In other words, not always an effective option if you want that
    card backup.

    Another option, assuming the application will allow, is to simply run
    the application from the card without installing in the main memory.
    But, sadly, not all applications will run from a card. However, there
    are utilities which supposedly allow even these types of applications
    to run from a card. The one warning concerning this option is that if
    the Palm crashes, you will have to reenter serial numbers and any data
    not backed up onto your computer (or saved on the card) may be gone.

    Stewart

  3. Re: I know this may seem dumb, but can I install apps from memory card

    Check out Backup Buddy. IIRC, it handles stuff like this.

    DataGet® & PocketLog® www.dataget.com
    Data Collectors www.baxcode.com

    "AngloSaxonMark" wrote in message
    > can I install apps stored as .prc's on the memory card, and if so how? Do

    > need an installer prog?
    >
    > the reason I ask is that sometimes applications fall over or require
    > removal/reinstall. If I can keep copies on the memory card and install at
    > will that would be great while on the move. Currently I reinstall from my
    > PC, which is not always convenient

+ Reply to Thread