Copying to SD cards - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Copying to SD cards - Palmtop ; The only way I have of copying files to my SD cards is by putting them in the T5 and using palmOne File Transfer, or DriveMode. Since I am watching a lot of video, this is painfully slow - 700mb ...

  1. Copying to SD cards

    The only way I have of copying files to my SD cards is by putting them
    in the T5 and using palmOne File Transfer, or DriveMode. Since I am
    watching a lot of video, this is painfully slow - 700mb of video can
    take almost an hour (using a USB2 connection). Is this typical of SD
    cards or would it be much quicker in an external reader/writer (my next
    laptop will have a reader built in)

  2. Re: Copying to SD cards

    I use Card Export from SoftTick (on a Treo650):

    http://www.softick.com/cardexport2/

    This makes your palm appear to be a USB drive to the PC. I think it
    would be faster - there is a free evaluation version so you can give it
    a go.

    Regards,
    Neil.

    Robin wrote:
    > The only way I have of copying files to my SD cards is by putting them
    > in the T5 and using palmOne File Transfer, or DriveMode. Since I am
    > watching a lot of video, this is painfully slow - 700mb of video can
    > take almost an hour (using a USB2 connection). Is this typical of SD
    > cards or would it be much quicker in an external reader/writer (my next
    > laptop will have a reader built in)

  3. Re: Copying to SD cards

    Hi,

    Neil Hampton wrote:
    > I use Card Export from SoftTick (on a Treo650):
    >
    > http://www.softick.com/cardexport2/
    >
    > This makes your palm appear to be a USB drive to the PC. I think it
    > would be faster - there is a free evaluation version so you can give it
    > a go.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Neil.

    This is exactly what the DriveMode does, so I don't think that
    CardExport will be faster.

    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

  4. Re: Copying to SD cards

    Hi,

    Robin wrote:
    > The only way I have of copying files to my SD cards is by putting them
    > in the T5 and using palmOne File Transfer, or DriveMode. Since I am
    > watching a lot of video, this is painfully slow - 700mb of video can
    > take almost an hour (using a USB2 connection). Is this typical of SD
    > cards or would it be much quicker in an external reader/writer (my next
    > laptop will have a reader built in)

    That's surprising. Are you sure that you have USB2 all along the way? I
    copy movies to my PDA using either DriveMode, the LifeDrive manager, or
    sometimes with an external reader, and I didn't notice many differences.
    The process for a 700 MB film takes about 10 minutes, I would say.

    HTH,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

  5. Re: Copying to SD cards

    I'm not sure the T5 is actually USB2. It said it was "USB2 compatible"
    but all USB1 devices are, albeit at a lower speed. My laptop doesn't
    have native USB2 so I'm using a PCMCIA card with USB2 - works fine for
    my DVD writer. As I said, my next laptop will have a built in card
    reader/writer which will probably solve the problems for me

  6. Re: Copying to SD cards

    Hi,

    Robin wrote:
    > I'm not sure the T5 is actually USB2. It said it was "USB2 compatible"
    > but all USB1 devices are, albeit at a lower speed. My laptop doesn't
    > have native USB2 so I'm using a PCMCIA card with USB2 - works fine for
    > my DVD writer. As I said, my next laptop will have a built in card
    > reader/writer which will probably solve the problems for me

    I asked in a Tungsten forum on 1Src.com. I'll tell you what comes up.

    Greetings,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

  7. Re: Copying to SD cards

    Hi,

    Laurent Bugnion wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Robin wrote:
    >> I'm not sure the T5 is actually USB2. It said it was "USB2 compatible"
    >> but all USB1 devices are, albeit at a lower speed. My laptop doesn't
    >> have native USB2 so I'm using a PCMCIA card with USB2 - works fine for
    >> my DVD writer. As I said, my next laptop will have a built in card
    >> reader/writer which will probably solve the problems for me

    > I asked in a Tungsten forum on 1Src.com. I'll tell you what comes up.
    >
    > Greetings,
    > Laurent

    Here's a reply:

    "No, the only Palm PDA to support USB 2 so far is the Lifedrive. I
    highly recommend a card reader, which is about 20 times faster if you
    want to copy files to a memory card. Unfortunately, with drive mode
    you're stuck with USB 1."

    Now everything is clear.

    Hope that helps!
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

  8. Re: Copying to SD cards

    That's great - thanks. Might have to buy a card reader as an interim
    measure before I fork out for a new laptop.

+ Reply to Thread