palm software on new computer - Palmtop

This is a discussion on palm software on new computer - Palmtop ; Palm 505 (still works great for my purposed!) Upgraded (clean install) from WinMe to WinXP. Investigation told me to install the newer "palm desktop" for XP. But that the newest version of palm software was NOT for XP?) When I ...

  1. palm software on new computer

    Palm 505 (still works great for my purposed!)
    Upgraded (clean install) from WinMe to WinXP. Investigation told me to
    install the newer "palm desktop" for XP. But that the newest version of
    palm software was NOT for XP?) When I do this, the default folder is
    different than it was with the original desktop software.
    # 1 I have set up a user on the desktop to the same name that I had before
    (hopefully exactly the same)
    However, is the hotsynch operation going to "find" the folder when the
    set-up folder is different than it was before?

    # 2 I understand that on the first hotsynch, that I should set handheld to
    overwrite desktop for everything. Do I have to click on each app etc. to set
    them up for this, and then change them back to synch between afterwards, or
    is there a better way?

    I understand these may be easy questions to most, but I can NOT seem to find
    any articles exactly addressing my main question of whether it will "find"
    the folder when the folder for the user is in a different place.

    TIA
    CKL

  2. Re: palm software on new computer

    OK - finally found an article that said it HAD to be installed in the same
    place - not where I wanted to go, but it finally worked.
    (didn't get it "cleaned" out like I wanted though"
    Thanks

    "CKL" wrote in message
    news:Y7tPf.34844$_S7.5220@newssvr14.news.prodigy.c om...
    > Palm 505 (still works great for my purposed!)
    > Upgraded (clean install) from WinMe to WinXP. Investigation told me to
    > install the newer "palm desktop" for XP. But that the newest version of
    > palm software was NOT for XP?) When I do this, the default folder is
    > different than it was with the original desktop software.
    > # 1 I have set up a user on the desktop to the same name that I had
    > before (hopefully exactly the same)
    > However, is the hotsynch operation going to "find" the folder when the
    > set-up folder is different than it was before?
    >
    > # 2 I understand that on the first hotsynch, that I should set handheld
    > to overwrite desktop for everything. Do I have to click on each app etc.
    > to set them up for this, and then change them back to synch between
    > afterwards, or is there a better way?
    >
    > I understand these may be easy questions to most, but I can NOT seem to
    > find any articles exactly addressing my main question of whether it will
    > "find" the folder when the folder for the user is in a different place.
    >
    > TIA
    > CKL

  3. Re: palm software on new computer

    "CKL" wrote:

    > (snip) the default folder is different than it
    > was with the original desktop software.
    > # 1 I have set up a user on the desktop to
    > the same name that I had before
    > (hopefully exactly the same) However, is the
    > hotsynch operation going to "find" the folder
    > when the set-up folder is different than it
    > was before?

    I'm not sure I fully understand what you're trying to accomplish, so
    I'll address the issue in general. If you have the Palm overwrite the
    desktop, it really does not matter where your folders are located. The
    Palm Desktop software will create new folders on your computer, where
    it expects them to be, with all the data, applications, and so on,
    currently on your Palm.

    The only thing you will have to reinstall is the third-party desktop
    applications related to the software on your Palm device (such as
    Documents-To-Go and so on). You should install this software before
    doing your first sync. After that first sync, you may end up with a
    few duplicate items (duplicate Doc-To-Go files). Delete any duplicates
    on your Palm and then sync once more.

    > (snip) I should set handheld to overwrite
    > desktop for everything. Do I have to click
    > on each app etc. to set them up for this,
    > and then change them back to sync
    > between afterwards, or is there a better
    > way?

    This is covered fully in the owners manual under the section about
    doing a hard reset. Of course, after a hard reset, you want the
    desktop to overwrite the Palm. But, in your case now, you want the
    Palm to overwrite the desktop. The procedure is exactly the same with
    only a different selection and you'll see that proper selection
    ("handheld overwrites desktop").

    Stewart

  4. Re: palm software on new computer

    "Stewart" wrote in message
    > "CKL" wrote:
    >
    > I'm not sure I fully understand what you're trying to accomplish, so
    > I'll address the issue in general. If you have the Palm overwrite the
    > desktop, it really does not matter where your folders are located. The
    > Palm Desktop software will create new folders on your computer, where
    > it expects them to be, with all the data, applications, and so on,
    > currently on your Palm.

    Thanks for the info Stewart (though too late )! I already goofed it up -
    well, anyway doing it the "proper" way.
    However, the desktop software had to be installed "first" - before
    synching - correct?
    What I was asking was whether the palm software would be able to "find" the
    desktop software when the desktop software was installed in a different
    partition (then previously).
    Luckily - I did at least want them in the same drive - so I uninstalled the
    desktop software and reinstalled, useing the exact placement (and folder
    names) that I had used before. Then I just copied everything over from my
    backup and did a regular synch and it worked.
    Obviously, my mistake was not having the palm overwrite the desktop - but
    again - thought that somewhere in the palm it said where to place them - and
    those folder names did not exist. That is why I ending up changing the
    names of the folders to what they had been. Oh well - it all ended up ok.

    > The only thing you will have to reinstall is the third-party desktop
    > applications related to the software on your Palm device (such as
    > Documents-To-Go and so on). You should install this software before
    > doing your first sync. After that first sync, you may end up with a
    > few duplicate items (duplicate Doc-To-Go files). Delete any duplicates
    > on your Palm and then sync once more.

    I see that I did "goof" as far as documents to go. I thought I read that
    it was one that WOULD be synched - but guess I read wrong somewhere.
    Anyway - so now what is going to happen when I install Docs to Go?

    >> (snip) I should set handheld to overwrite
    >> desktop for everything. Do I have to click
    >> on each app etc. to set them up for this,
    >> and then change them back to sync
    >> between afterwards, or is there a better
    >> way?

    > This is covered fully in the owners manual under the section about
    > doing a hard reset. Of course, after a hard reset, you want the
    > desktop to overwrite the Palm. But, in your case now, you want the
    > Palm to overwrite the desktop. The procedure is exactly the same with
    > only a different selection and you'll see that proper selection
    > ("handheld overwrites desktop").
    >
    > Stewart

    Thanks for the last info on changing synching (handheld overwrites
    desktop) - but I never did find that - maybe because I did not want a "hard
    reset" and didn't look at that section.
    Clarice

  5. Re: palm software on new computer

    "CKL" wrote:

    > Thanks for the info Stewart (though too late )!
    > I already goofed it up - well, anyway doing it the
    > "proper" way. However, the desktop software had
    > to be installed "first" - before synching - correct?
    > What I was asking was whether the palm software
    > would be able to "find" the desktop software (snip)

    I think you're trying too hard to micro-manage this entire process,
    Clarice. The Palm software will usually take care of itself if you
    allow it to do it's thing without interference - let it install where
    it wants and what it wants. At that point, you only need to get your
    data from the Palm device to that software - easy if you use the
    "handheld overwrites desktop" feature mentioned before.

    Anyway, the "palm software" versis the "desktop software" mentioned
    above is where you're losing me. I don't really understand what you're
    talking about. The Palm software is the Palm desktop application,
    hotsync manager, and quick install. Various Palm models come with
    additional third-party software (such as VersaMail or Docs-To-Go), but
    those three applications make up the core Palm software. When you
    install or uninstall the Palm software, those three applications will
    either install or uninstall together. Other third-party software, such
    as VersaMail and Docs-To-Go, have their own installers.

    Regardless, if you allow this software to install in the default
    location (the "Programs folder" of your main drive), everything about
    your Palm will work correctly. At that point, all you have to do is
    sync using the "handheld overwrites desktop" feature. That will copy
    all your data to the Palm desktop application and back-up the various
    third-party applications on your Palm.

    By the way, you would sync normally after that first sync operation.
    That first sync operation is the only time you need the "handheld
    overwrites desktop" feature (unless you do a hard reset, which makes
    it basically a first sync operation again).

    > What I was asking was whether the palm software
    > would be able to "find" the desktop software when
    > the desktop software was installed in a different
    > partition (then previously).

    If you're talking about the hotsync manager finding the desktop
    application, absolutely. Again, since they are installed together,
    they are setup by Palm to "find" each other. The Palm device itself
    doesn't care where your desktop applications are located. That is
    handled by the hotsync manager. And since the hotsync manager was
    installed with the palm desktop application, it knows where that
    desktop application is located (especially if you allow everything to
    install in the default locations).

    > I see that I did "goof" as far as documents to go.
    > I thought I read that it was one that WOULD be
    > synched - but guess I read wrong somewhere.
    > Anyway - so now what is going to happen when
    > I install Docs to Go?

    The Docs-To-Go application on the Palm will work just fine, and will
    be backed up when you sync (your files also). However, to fully use
    Docs-To-Go, you also need the Docs-To-Go desktop application. That has
    to be installed from the CD.

    When you install the Docs-To-Go desktop application is not really that
    big of a deal. If you don't install it before that first sync, it will
    just take one or two extra sync operations, deleting duplicate files
    and so on, before things are back to normal. The application on your
    Palm device will be overwritten with the newly installed one, but that
    is certainly nothing to worry about.

    > Thanks for the last info on changing synching
    > (handheld overwrites desktop) - but I never
    > did find that - maybe because I did not want
    > a "hard reset" and didn't look at that section.

    PalmOne certainly could have been more clear about all this. However,
    in their thinking, it was clear - when you do a hard reset on the Palm
    device, everything is erased and has to be reinstalled from the
    desktop computer ("desktop overwrites handheld"). Therefore, if
    everything is erased on the desktop computer (basically a hard reset
    of your desktop computer), all on the Palm device has to be
    reinstalled onto the desktop computer ("handheld overwrites desktop").

    Well, I've got to go. If you need anything else, hopefully someone
    else can take over from here. Take care.

    Stewart

  6. Re: palm software on new computer

    "Stewart" wrote in message
    > I think you're trying too hard to micro-manage this entire process,
    > Clarice. The Palm software will usually take care of itself if you
    > allow it to do it's thing without interference - let it install where
    > it wants and what it wants. At that point, you only need to get your
    > data from the Palm device to that software - easy if you use the
    > "handheld overwrites desktop" feature mentioned before.

    Thank you Stewart for this detailed explanation. I am sure my "lack of
    clarity" as to how the palm works contributes to your confusion and mine, as
    well as my micro-managing. However, I am used to "controlling" where things
    are put on my computer and I do not want everything to go to my system
    drive - partially because of my back up schemes etc. This may well be a
    mistake in this case, but has worked well for me in other matters over many
    years, so I was trying (maybe too hard) to control my data in this matter
    also. I just do not like software to assume that I am keeping all my "data"
    on one large partition/drive and puts everything in the installed folder -
    or where this folder should be in the first place.

    > Anyway, the "palm software" versus the "desktop software" mentioned
    > above is where you're losing me. I don't really understand what you're
    > talking about. The Palm software is the Palm desktop application,
    > hotsync manager, and quick install.

    Sorry about that! Just as a clarification, I also was incorrect in my
    terminology as to the
    "palm software". What I really was talking about was the Palm OS - which
    may have nothing to do with what the software does. (As you explained
    later - Hyotsync does that)
    However, since I had to upgrade my Desktop software to the newest version
    (best to do with XP) - the default
    folders were different than before. If I had been doing an "upgrade", then
    it would have "found" the correct placement, but this was a clean install -
    and my partitions/drives are also set up differently.

    > Regardless, if you allow this software to install in the default
    > location (the "Programs folder" of your main drive), everything about
    > your Palm will work correctly. At that point, all you have to do is
    > sync using the "handheld overwrites desktop" feature. That will copy
    > all your data to the Palm desktop application and back-up the various
    > third-party applications on your Palm.

    But this is not what I wanted to do (accept default) and did not do that on
    the first installation

    >> What I was asking was whether the palm software
    >> would be able to "find" the desktop software when
    >> the desktop software was installed in a different
    >> partition (then previously).

    > If you're talking about the hotsync manager finding the desktop
    > application, absolutely. Again, since they are installed together,
    > they are setup by Palm to "find" each other. The Palm device itself
    > doesn't care where your desktop applications are located. That is
    > handled by the hotsync manager. And since the hotsync manager was
    > installed with the palm desktop application, it knows where that
    > desktop application is located (especially if you allow everything to
    > install in the default locations).

    Yes - Hotsync manager - However it is because I did NOT install the desktop
    software to "C" in the first place (and had not this time either) was why I
    was concerned that the palm overwriting (Hotsynch) would know where to do
    its thing
    - and would be complicated even more by the fact that the "folder" names
    were also
    different. (Clean install - not upgrade of desktop software needed for XP)
    As I said, I ended up avoiding the problem by putting them in the same
    directory structure that I had before.

    > The Docs-To-Go application on the Palm will work just fine,

    > Well, I've got to go. If you need anything else, hopefully someone
    > else can take over from here. Take care.
    >
    > Stewart

    THX again for ALL your TIME and PATIENCE! I am curious to find out what
    would happen if I tried it your way (yet installed where I wanted - LOL) but
    really don't want to mess with the success I have so far. As to Docs to Go
    etc., I guess I will just find out through trial and error what the end
    result will be. Thanks for all your helpful info on this also . I have
    definitely saved all this in case I want to start over (doubtful ) or
    just get curious - and for future reference.
    CKL

+ Reply to Thread