desktop problem - Palmtop

This is a discussion on desktop problem - Palmtop ; I have a Tungsten E and Windows 2000. My windows login is admin. When I double-click on the desktop icon (ver 4.1.2) which leads to palm.exe, I get the opening splash screen and then nothing. When I try ctrl-alt-delete to ...

  1. desktop problem

    I have a Tungsten E and Windows 2000. My windows login is admin.

    When I double-click on the desktop icon (ver 4.1.2) which leads to
    palm.exe, I get the opening splash screen and then nothing.

    When I try ctrl-alt-delete to access Task Manager, Palm is not in
    Applications, but palm.exe is in Processes. When I select End Process,
    the splash screen comes off.

    I tried downloading to 4.1.4 updater and when I try to run it I get a
    message it cannot find Palm Desktop.msi.

    When I try to re-install from my 4.1.2 Cd it says I alreeady have a
    newer version. When I try to delete via Add/Remove Programs I get the
    same Palm Desktop.msi.message.

    When I right-click on palm.exe and select prioperties it says I have
    ver 4.1.4. Still won't open and I still cannot reinstall or delete.

    What's next? Thanks.

    - Henry

  2. Re: desktop problem

    __/ [ henryp ] on Wednesday 01 March 2006 16:34 \__

    Hi Henry,

    > I have a Tungsten E and Windows 2000. My windows login is admin.
    >
    > When I double-click on the desktop icon (ver 4.1.2) which leads to
    > palm.exe, I get the opening splash screen and then nothing.

    Have you tried looking at the log files yet? Go to Start -> Run... ->'cmd'
    ENTER. Run Palm from the DOS prompt. Is any error message spewed out? You
    need verbosity upon error.

    > When I try ctrl-alt-delete to access Task Manager, Palm is not in
    > Applications, but palm.exe is in Processes. When I select End Process,
    > the splash screen comes off.

    It seems to hand though. The process is not instantiated despite the fact
    that it runs in scheduler. This is never a good sign.

    > I tried downloading to 4.1.4 updater and when I try to run it I get a
    > message it cannot find Palm Desktop.msi.

    I am not entirely sure that an upgrade would be the best solution. If you
    installed Palm Desktop recently, could you revert your Registry to an older
    state (any backups?) and remove the installation files of Palm, as well as
    all the program files? This should remove the offending component.

    > When I try to re-install from my 4.1.2 Cd it says I alreeady have a
    > newer version. When I try to delete via Add/Remove Programs I get the
    > same Palm Desktop.msi.message.
    >
    > When I right-click on palm.exe and select prioperties it says I have
    > ver 4.1.4. Still won't open and I still cannot reinstall or delete.
    >
    > What's next? Thanks.
    >
    > - Henry

    I wonder if logging in as a non-admin user might have an effect. It is worth
    trying, as well.

    Best wishes and good luck,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

  3. Re: desktop problem

    My best guess would be that there is a registry entry that needs to be
    removed after uninstalling the 4.1.2 version of Palm desktop. the most
    likely candidates being HK_Local_Machine\Software\Palm and the same
    directory structure under HK_Current_User. Have you searched the
    Knowledge Base?

    If so, and no answerwas found there, I would start a Tech Support
    incident via the Palm site. Keep in mind they may not be able to solve
    your problem, but they might have some suggestions that help illuminate
    the solution.

    Are you able to HotSync?

    Thanks,

    Bill