PDA with external modem option? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on PDA with external modem option? - Palmtop ; Many times I'm at places that do not have WiFi signals, do not have Bluetooth coverage, do not have cell phone coverage, but do have telephone service. I currently use an M515 with an external modem that snaps on to ...

  1. PDA with external modem option?

    Many times I'm at places that do not have WiFi signals, do
    not have Bluetooth coverage, do not have cell phone
    coverage, but do have telephone service. I currently use an
    M515 with an external modem that snaps on to the bottom of
    the Palm. Is there any Palm (or any other PDA) out there
    with the option of connecting to a hard-wired phone line to
    dial in for email? I hope?

    Sharon

  2. Re: PDA with external modem option?

    I use a Psion 56K Travel Modem (was sold in the US by Diamond under the mako
    brand)
    This Infrared Modem works with all PDAs I have (Revo, Jornada, Clie and
    Zaurus)
    You can find one at Ebay. Or if you want a new one you can get the 3Jtech
    which is both
    IRDA and Serial .
    Only problem with infrared modems is that you can't move your PDA around
    much because
    IRDA is a 'line-of-sight' kind of connection.
    If the your future PDA has a CF slot you can use a CF card modem with that.
    Serial (RS232) modems are tricky to set up with the more recent PDAs if they
    work at all.
    Good luck!
    Klaus Ernst

    "Sharon" wrote in message
    > Many times I'm at places that do not have WiFi signals, do
    > not have Bluetooth coverage, do not have cell phone
    > coverage, but do have telephone service. I currently use an
    > M515 with an external modem that snaps on to the bottom of
    > the Palm. Is there any Palm (or any other PDA) out there
    > with the option of connecting to a hard-wired phone line to
    > dial in for email? I hope?
    >
    > Sharon

+ Reply to Thread