Extra power - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Extra power - Palmtop ; I'll be taking a long flight later this summer and want to make sure that I have enough power for my T3 to keep me entertained (hoping to compress some DVD's down for TCPMP to view). Short of building something ...

  1. Extra power

    I'll be taking a long flight later this summer and want to make sure that I
    have enough power for my T3 to keep me entertained (hoping to compress some
    DVD's down for TCPMP to view).

    Short of building something like this (which I'm still considering):
    http://www.boingboing.net/2005/12/02...harger_ki.html and risking
    electrocuting myself (or rather, risk frying my precious T3), what
    suggestions do people have for added power on the go?

    Thanks!

    -TC

  2. Re: Extra power

    In article ,
    Terrence Chun wrote:

    > I'll be taking a long flight later this summer and want to make sure that I
    > have enough power for my T3 to keep me entertained (hoping to compress some
    > DVD's down for TCPMP to view).
    >
    > Short of building something like this (which I'm still considering):
    > http://www.boingboing.net/2005/12/02...harger_ki.html and risking
    > electrocuting myself (or rather, risk frying my precious T3), what
    > suggestions do people have for added power on the go?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > -TC

    An external battery pack.

  3. Re: Extra power

    Guy Bannis wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Terrence Chun wrote:
    >
    >> I'll be taking a long flight later this summer and want to make sure that I
    >> have enough power for my T3 to keep me entertained (hoping to compress some
    >> DVD's down for TCPMP to view).
    >>
    >> Short of building something like this (which I'm still considering):
    >> http://www.boingboing.net/2005/12/02...harger_ki.html and risking
    >> electrocuting myself (or rather, risk frying my precious T3), what
    >> suggestions do people have for added power on the go?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> -TC

    > An external battery pack.

    Like this one advertised on eBay:

    http://tinyurl.com/pwulk

    I think they make versions for just about all rechargable Palms.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  4. Re: Extra power

    It is alleged that Terrence Chun claimed:

    > I'll be taking a long flight later this summer and want to make sure that I
    > have enough power for my T3 to keep me entertained (hoping to compress some
    > DVD's down for TCPMP to view).

    As my brother is planning on doing now that he has an E2 (upgraded from
    a Clie T615), "reserve a seat with a power socket and plug it in."

    Although his media of choice is apparently going to be music mp3s and
    NPR podcasts.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "You don't know what it's like living in the shadows of her mind,
    watching, laughing at all of you out here: foolish, petty, stupid."
    (Talia2, B5 "Divided Loyalties")

  5. Re: Extra power

    Terrence Chun schrieb:
    > I'll be taking a long flight later this summer and want to make sure that I
    > have enough power for my T3 to keep me entertained (hoping to compress some
    > DVD's down for TCPMP to view).

    You might want to look for a device called PowerToGo (google helps).
    It is a rechargeable battery which can be used to fully recharge your T3
    twice, alternatively it can be used as a battery extender giving you up
    to 3x the normal battery life.
    It should be available at decent prices since the Palm series with the
    old universal connector is phased out (in Switzerland one offices
    supplier shelled out the last items at about 30% list price, maybe the
    same thing is happening somewhere near you).

    Cheers, Uli
    --
    Antworten bitte an: pcogmxnet oder in der NG
    reply to pcogmxnet or to the ng, please

  6. Re: Extra power

    Hi,

    Terrence Chun wrote:
    > I'll be taking a long flight later this summer and want to make sure that I
    > have enough power for my T3 to keep me entertained (hoping to compress some
    > DVD's down for TCPMP to view).
    >
    > Short of building something like this (which I'm still considering):
    > http://www.boingboing.net/2005/12/02...harger_ki.html and risking
    > electrocuting myself (or rather, risk frying my precious T3), what
    > suggestions do people have for added power on the go?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > -TC

    Couldn't be happier with Boxwave (www.boxwave.com). Check their minisync
    line, together with the battery adapter, which works with 4 AA
    batteries. You can find USB charging cables not only for Palms, but also
    mobile phones, Archos, etc... Very useful. Boxwave's service is also
    excellent.

    HTH,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

  7. Re: Extra power

    Uli Lachmuth said: "You might want to look for a device called
    PowerToGo (google helps). "

    I have tried Google on Powertogo but to no avail. I can only find
    references in other discussion groups but no suppliers. Palm kindly
    supply a User manual for the device but there is no other reference to
    it on their site. It sounds like something I could use A LOT!. Does
    anybody know of a supplier?

    Thanks in anticipation.

    Michael

  8. Re: Extra power

    WillofIrony wrote:
    > Uli Lachmuth said: "You might want to look for a device called
    > PowerToGo (google helps). "
    >
    > I have tried Google on Powertogo but to no avail. I can only find
    > references in other discussion groups but no suppliers. Palm kindly
    > supply a User manual for the device but there is no other reference to
    > it on their site. It sounds like something I could use A LOT!. Does
    > anybody know of a supplier?
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation.
    >
    > Michael

    You may be too late - I think these were EOLed last year, they were
    very cheap on sites like Expansys, but are now out of stock. I bought
    two at that time, and they really are brilliant - as they clip onto the
    back of the Palm, instead of dangling on the end of a short cable. The
    downside is that they are a lot more expensive than the other options
    mentioned here.

    http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?code=105700

    They might be available through some vendors on ebay or similar,
    possibly as people upgrade from their old universal connector Palms they
    may sell their accessories too.

  9. Re: Extra power

    "Terrence Chun" wrote in message
    news:Xns9775B1D14B38Cdocterrycincirrcom@81.174.12. 30...
    > I'll be taking a long flight later this summer and want to make sure that
    > have enough power for my T3 to keep me entertained (hoping to compress
    > some
    > DVD's down for TCPMP to view).
    >
    > Short of building something like this (which I'm still considering):
    > http://www.boingboing.net/2005/12/02...harger_ki.html and risking
    > electrocuting myself (or rather, risk frying my precious T3), what
    > suggestions do people have for added power on the go?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > -TC

    ==========================

    checkout http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/179/p/1/pt/32/product.asp

    Great power resource. One charge will recharge my Palm 600 about four
    times. Only hassel is the time it takes to recharge the power pack - about
    10hours. But worth it.

  10. Re: Extra power

    Terrence Chun writes:

    > I'll be taking a long flight later this summer and want to make sure that I
    > have enough power for my T3 to keep me entertained (hoping to compress some
    > DVD's down for TCPMP to view).
    >
    > Short of building something like this (which I'm still considering):
    > http://www.boingboing.net/2005/12/02...harger_ki.html and risking
    > electrocuting myself (or rather, risk frying my precious T3), what
    > suggestions do people have for added power on the go?

    I too watch movies on planes, currently using an ipaq. Asking for
    seat with power is good idea, but that typically means an upgrade to
    business class which isn't really worth it just to charge your
    handheld (well sometimes it is :-).

    For battery solutions I use

    a digipower dps8100 which is really designed for a camera but works
    well, I get about three recharges from it, which is more than enough
    for even trans oceanic flights.

    Another slightly more accessable method is boxwave's battery adapter
    for minisync USB cables

    http://www.boxwave.com/products/batt...pter/index.htm

    It basically gives a powered usb port from four AA batteries, I've
    used this too for long trips.

    Alan

    Alan W Black email: awb@cs.cmu.edu
    Language Technologies Institute http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~awb/
    Carnegie Mellon University tel: +1-412-268-6299
    5000 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh PA, 15213, USA. fax: +1-412-268-6298

    > Thanks!
    >
    > -TC

+ Reply to Thread