wait till empty before recharging? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on wait till empty before recharging? - Palmtop ; Should I wait till I see the warnings before I recharge my m505, or just recharge whenever it's convenient, even if the battery is only 1/3 empty? Don't li-ion batteries have a finite number of charge cycles? How about I ...

  1. wait till empty before recharging?

    Should I wait till I see the warnings before I recharge my m505, or
    just recharge whenever it's convenient, even if the battery is only
    1/3 empty? Don't li-ion batteries have a finite number of charge
    cycles? How about I just charge whenever the cradle is near, already
    full or not?

  2. Re: wait till empty before recharging?

    "Dan Jacobson" wrote in message
    > Should I wait till I see the warnings before I recharge my m505, or
    > just recharge whenever it's convenient, even if the battery is only
    > 1/3 empty? Don't li-ion batteries have a finite number of charge
    > cycles? How about I just charge whenever the cradle is near, already
    > full or not?

    Hi Dan:
    Li-ion batteries do have a rated number of complete discharge/recharge
    cycles. They have a larger number of parcel charge cycles. Their useful life
    is maximized when they are kept fully charged and not let to completely
    discharged. Unlike Ni Cads Li-ion like to set on the charger, it does not
    hurt them. So keep them charged and they will last longer. Be aware that
    Li-ions do have a shelf life and will in time go bad even if you never use
    them. Sooner or later you will replace the battery unless you buy a new PDA
    first, like I did.

    --
    John Passaneau
    State College Pa.