Palm OS, RIP - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm OS, RIP - Palmtop ; http://www.access.co.jp/english/press/060214.html...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: Palm OS, RIP

  1. Palm OS, RIP


  2. Re: Palm OS, RIP

    Fa la la writes:

    > http://www.access.co.jp/english/press/060214.html


    I sort of figured PalmOS was, to all intents and purposes, dead a
    while ago (which is really a shame; my Samsung i300 is a great little
    phone/PDA). This article is the first thing I've found that shows
    hope of giving an upgrade path to native Linux applications (without
    getting into OS wars, I use Linux for virtually all my computing other
    than my phone; running my phone on the same platform could have some
    advantages for me). Also, it looks like they're planning a GTK-based
    interface, and I do a lot of GTk programming.

    For a while Motorola was looking good to me as a Linux phone, but they
    seem to be taking a very closed, "there's Linux in there but all you
    get is Java" approach. Besides which, even if I could get into their
    device, it would be an abrupt change rather than a gradual switchover.

    Now if my phone will just hang on until one of these devices is on the
    market...
    --
    Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D. Phone -- (505) 646-1605
    Department of Computer Science FAX -- (505) 646-1002
    New Mexico State University http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~pfeiffer
    skype: jjpfeifferjr

  3. Re: Palm OS, RIP

    Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
    >
    > Fa la la writes:
    >
    > > http://www.access.co.jp/english/press/060214.html

    >
    > I sort of figured PalmOS was, to all intents and purposes, dead a
    > while ago (which is really a shame; my Samsung i300 is a great little
    > phone/PDA). This article is the first thing I've found that shows
    > hope of giving an upgrade path to native Linux applications (without
    > getting into OS wars, I use Linux for virtually all my computing other
    > than my phone; running my phone on the same platform could have some
    > advantages for me). Also, it looks like they're planning a GTK-based
    > interface, and I do a lot of GTk programming.
    >
    > For a while Motorola was looking good to me as a Linux phone, but they
    > seem to be taking a very closed, "there's Linux in there but all you
    > get is Java" approach. Besides which, even if I could get into their
    > device, it would be an abrupt change rather than a gradual switchover.
    >
    > Now if my phone will just hang on until one of these devices is on the
    > market...


    Ya gotta wonder... If the death of PalmOS is imminent, why are phones,
    such as the Treo 700, currently being released?

    Notan

  4. Re: Palm OS, RIP

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:05:12 -0700, Notan wrote:

    > Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
    >>
    >> Fa la la writes:
    >>
    >> > http://www.access.co.jp/english/press/060214.html

    >>
    >> I sort of figured PalmOS was, to all intents and purposes, dead a
    >> while ago (which is really a shame; my Samsung i300 is a great little
    >> phone/PDA). This article is the first thing I've found that shows
    >> hope of giving an upgrade path to native Linux applications (without
    >> getting into OS wars, I use Linux for virtually all my computing other
    >> than my phone; running my phone on the same platform could have some
    >> advantages for me). Also, it looks like they're planning a GTK-based
    >> interface, and I do a lot of GTk programming.
    >>
    >> For a while Motorola was looking good to me as a Linux phone, but they
    >> seem to be taking a very closed, "there's Linux in there but all you
    >> get is Java" approach. Besides which, even if I could get into their
    >> device, it would be an abrupt change rather than a gradual switchover.
    >>
    >> Now if my phone will just hang on until one of these devices is on the
    >> market...

    >
    > Ya gotta wonder... If the death of PalmOS is imminent, why are phones,
    > such as the Treo 700, currently being released?
    >
    > Notan


    Amusing that you mention the Treo 700, which ships with Windows Mobile as
    OS.

    I personally can't wait to get my hands on one of those Linux-palms in the
    near future... hope they make it as open as possible as a platform, until
    then, I'll stick to my TX. boy, would that be great if they managed to
    make it backwards-compatible, so I could put their Palm/linux onto my then
    old TX! but I guess that's just too much of wishful thinking.

  5. Re: Palm OS, RIP

    Notan writes:
    >
    > Ya gotta wonder... If the death of PalmOS is imminent, why are phones,
    > such as the Treo 700, currently being released?


    "Imminent" does not mean "already dead." While new phones I'd want to
    replace mine with have been conspicuously absent lately (I don't want
    a thumb keyboard... I like Graffiti), what seemed to me to be the
    sign I should be looking for another platform was when the Treo 700W
    was announced. If palm.com is going to Windows, I don't see much
    future in PalmOS.
    --
    Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D. Phone -- (505) 646-1605
    Department of Computer Science FAX -- (505) 646-1002
    New Mexico State University http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~pfeiffer
    skype: jjpfeifferjr

  6. Re: Palm OS, RIP

    In article <1140068584_109@pnews.internode.on.net>,
    Fa la la wrote:

    > http://www.access.co.jp/english/press/060214.html


    Why do you say "RIP"? All the Palm functionality will still be there,
    and more, and it runs on Linux.

    It's just an evolution, not an extinction.

  7. Re: Palm OS, RIP

    "David M." writes:
    >
    > I personally can't wait to get my hands on one of those Linux-palms in the
    > near future... hope they make it as open as possible as a platform, until
    > then, I'll stick to my TX. boy, would that be great if they managed to
    > make it backwards-compatible, so I could put their Palm/linux onto my then
    > old TX! but I guess that's just too much of wishful thinking.


    When they say "native Linux applications", that's what I'm hoping.

    As for the TX... at least it uses the ARM processor, so it might not
    be impossible. But I'll agree with you that it's probably wishful
    thinking, alas.
    --
    Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D. Phone -- (505) 646-1605
    Department of Computer Science FAX -- (505) 646-1002
    New Mexico State University http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~pfeiffer
    skype: jjpfeifferjr

  8. Re: Palm OS, RIP

    Guy Bannis writes:

    > In article <1140068584_109@pnews.internode.on.net>,
    > Fa la la wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.access.co.jp/english/press/060214.html

    >
    > Why do you say "RIP"? All the Palm functionality will still be there,
    > and more, and it runs on Linux.
    >
    > It's just an evolution, not an extinction.


    Putting up the tombstone is premature, but to me it looks like
    planning an upgrade path away from PalmOS for customers.
    --
    Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D. Phone -- (505) 646-1605
    Department of Computer Science FAX -- (505) 646-1002
    New Mexico State University http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~pfeiffer
    skype: jjpfeifferjr

  9. Re: Palm OS, RIP

    Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
    > Guy Bannis writes:
    >
    >> In article <1140068584_109@pnews.internode.on.net>,
    >> Fa la la wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.access.co.jp/english/press/060214.html

    >> Why do you say "RIP"? All the Palm functionality will still be there,
    >> and more, and it runs on Linux.
    >>
    >> It's just an evolution, not an extinction.

    >
    > Putting up the tombstone is premature, but to me it looks like
    > planning an upgrade path away from PalmOS for customers.

    It looks to me that they are looking for a development path that will
    maintain compatibility with existing software, but provide an OS that is
    built on a platform that can provide improved functionality for future
    devices. It looks to me that it is what Cobalt was meant to be. I'd
    definitely not say PalmOS is RIP, more like migrating to PalmOS 7. Just
    as OS5 was a major upgrade from OS4, that did cause a few compatibility
    issues but gave much greater functionality, this looks to me like a
    similar jump.
    Being built on Linux, PalmOS app compatibility will presumably be done
    through a compatibility layer, so that apps think they are running on a
    native palmos device. Makes me wonder if it would be possible to do a
    similar thing for PPC apps - It would be fantastic to be able to buy one
    device and run both PPC and palm apps on it.

  10. Re: Palm OS, RIP

    Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
    > Notan writes:
    >
    >>Ya gotta wonder... If the death of PalmOS is imminent, why are phones,
    >>such as the Treo 700, currently being released?

    >
    >
    > "Imminent" does not mean "already dead." While new phones I'd want to
    > replace mine with have been conspicuously absent lately (I don't want
    > a thumb keyboard... I like Graffiti), what seemed to me to be the
    > sign I should be looking for another platform was when the Treo 700W
    > was announced. If palm.com is going to Windows, I don't see much
    > future in PalmOS.


    I think the jury is still out on the success of the Windows Treo.
    Meanwhile, unless all the rumours are wrong, there are three Palm OS
    Treos on their way this year. I sure hope the Palm OS will be around for
    awhile.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  11. Re: Palm OS, RIP

    RonB wrote:
    >
    >Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
    >> Notan writes:
    >>
    >>>Ya gotta wonder... If the death of PalmOS is imminent, why are phones,
    >>>such as the Treo 700, currently being released?

    >>
    >>
    >> "Imminent" does not mean "already dead." While new phones I'd want to
    >> replace mine with have been conspicuously absent lately (I don't want
    >> a thumb keyboard... I like Graffiti), what seemed to me to be the
    >> sign I should be looking for another platform was when the Treo 700W
    >> was announced. If palm.com is going to Windows, I don't see much
    >> future in PalmOS.

    >
    >I think the jury is still out on the success of the Windows Treo.
    >Meanwhile, unless all the rumours are wrong, there are three Palm OS
    >Treos on their way this year. I sure hope the Palm OS will be around for
    >awhile.
    >

    Windows is dead with every new release of Mac, and if we all would only
    chuck our pcs the "prediction" would prove out. Same principle here - if MS
    tells the lie enough, we'll all believe it.
    --
    Regan Lear

  12. Re: Palm OS, RIP

    On 2006-02-17 07:27:51 +1100, Guy Bannis said:

    > In article <1140068584_109@pnews.internode.on.net>,
    > Fa la la wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.access.co.jp/english/press/060214.html

    >
    > Why do you say "RIP"? All the Palm functionality will still be there,
    > and more, and it runs on Linux.
    >
    > It's just an evolution, not an extinction.


    That's sort of like saying that OS X didn't mean the death of OS 9 -
    after all, all the OS 9 functionality remained (and more), and it runs
    on BSD Unix. Sure, OS X is evolutionary, but it rendered OS 9 extinct,
    as evolutions have a way of doing.

    So while we might disagree on the timing, it's still RIP Palm OS.

    fa


  13. Re: Palm OS, RIP

    David M. schrieb:

    >I personally can't wait to get my hands on one of those Linux-palms in the
    >near future... hope they make it as open as possible as a platform, until
    >then, I'll stick to my TX. boy, would that be great if they managed to
    >make it backwards-compatible, so I could put their Palm/linux onto my then
    >old TX! but I guess that's just too much of wishful thinking.


    That would be fine.

    As long as the synchronisation and the conduits work fine as usual with
    Palm/Linux systems I'll still use but. But if it happens (like on
    Windows devices) that you can only sync with Outlook and have double
    entries than it's a step into the wrong direction.

  14. Re: Palm OS, RIP

    Captain's log. On StarDate Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:43:07 +1100 received comm from Fa
    la la on channel comp.sys.palmtops:

    : http://www.access.co.jp/english/press/060214.html

    Yes, it happened finally, but at the same time also very expected!

    I don't buy the "compatibility layer" makes Linux into PalmOS -- there is a good
    technical reason why the PalmOS market is fading away -- it's simply not a very
    good or modern OS.

    PalmOS is dead (or almost as some other point out), but I absolutely think it's
    only a GOOD thing that Access corp is tossing it in the bin, and instead migrate
    customers and applications to a Linux base instead.

    martin

    --
    Martin Törnsten - http://martin.tornsten.com/


    _________________________________________
    Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
    More than 140,000 groups
    Unlimited download
    http://www.usenetzone.com to open account

  15. Re: Palm OS, RIP

    Captain's log. On StarDate Fri, 17 Feb 2006 08:14:56 +1000 received comm from
    Graham Fountain on channel comp.sys.palmtops:

    : Being built on Linux, PalmOS app compatibility will presumably be done
    : through a compatibility layer, so that apps think they are running on a
    : native palmos device. Makes me wonder if it would be possible to do a
    : similar thing for PPC apps - It would be fantastic to be able to buy one
    : device and run both PPC and palm apps on it.

    Emulators, virtual machines and translation layers isn't that high tech, and
    rather very common standard technologies since many, many years now -- so if
    there is a demand for that it will be fully possible to do.

    (That said -- it doesn't make a new OS into an old one -- it still a very
    separate piece of software layer.)

    martin

    --
    Martin Törnsten - http://martin.tornsten.com/


    _________________________________________
    Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
    More than 140,000 groups
    Unlimited download
    http://www.usenetzone.com to open account

  16. Re: Palm OS, RIP

    In article ,
    Martin T wrote:

    > Captain's log. On StarDate Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:43:07 +1100 received comm from
    > Fa
    > la la on channel comp.sys.palmtops:
    >
    > : http://www.access.co.jp/english/press/060214.html
    >
    > Yes, it happened finally, but at the same time also very expected!
    >
    > I don't buy the "compatibility layer" makes Linux into PalmOS -- there is a
    > good
    > technical reason why the PalmOS market is fading away -- it's simply not a
    > very
    > good or modern OS.
    >
    > PalmOS is dead (or almost as some other point out), but I absolutely think
    > it's
    > only a GOOD thing that Access corp is tossing it in the bin, and instead
    > migrate
    > customers and applications to a Linux base instead.


    If the OS is still made by Palm, it's a Palm OS ... Doesn't matter what
    it consists of.

    Now, the Palm name can only be used by www.palm.com, the hardware maker.
    They bought the exclusive rights to the name last year from PalmSource.

    So the OS can no longer be called the Palm OS. Hence Access Linux
    Platform, or whatever.

  17. Re: Palm OS, RIP

    In article <1140162453_2006@pnews.internode.on.net>,
    Fa la la wrote:

    > On 2006-02-17 07:27:51 +1100, Guy Bannis said:
    >
    > > In article <1140068584_109@pnews.internode.on.net>,
    > > Fa la la wrote:
    > >
    > >> http://www.access.co.jp/english/press/060214.html

    > >
    > > Why do you say "RIP"? All the Palm functionality will still be there,
    > > and more, and it runs on Linux.
    > >
    > > It's just an evolution, not an extinction.

    >
    > That's sort of like saying that OS X didn't mean the death of OS 9 -
    > after all, all the OS 9 functionality remained (and more), and it runs
    > on BSD Unix. Sure, OS X is evolutionary, but it rendered OS 9 extinct,
    > as evolutions have a way of doing.


    No. It means that OS X didn't mean the death of the Mac OS. It's still a
    Mac OS.

    Palm Garnet made Palm OS 3 and earlier obsolete, but no one said the
    Palm OS "died."

    (See my other post on why the "Palm" OS really is going away -- because
    Access doesn't have the right to use the word "Palm.")

  18. Re: Palm OS, RIP


    > Palm Garnet made Palm OS 3 and earlier obsolete, but no one said the
    > Palm OS "died."


    Yes but I can still run most PalmOS 3.x programs on my PalmOS 5.4 machine.
    If the new OS won't run a majority of the existing apps then by all common usage
    of the term, "dead", the old PalmOS is dead.

    Tom Lake



  19. Re: Palm OS, RIP

    Guy Bannis writes:

    > If the OS is still made by Palm, it's a Palm OS ... Doesn't matter what
    > it consists of.
    >
    > Now, the Palm name can only be used by www.palm.com, the hardware maker.
    > They bought the exclusive rights to the name last year from PalmSource.
    >
    > So the OS can no longer be called the Palm OS. Hence Access Linux
    > Platform, or whatever.


    While true, this isn't really relevant to the discussion. When I talk
    about the PalmOS, I mean the API and user interface I'm used to
    calling the PalmOS. I don't much care whether it's called PalmOS or
    Fred; likewise, if Palm were to decide to use the term to describe
    Microsoft PPC running on a Palm device it wouldn't be what I mean when
    I say PalmOS. This description leaves me open to charges of being
    idiosyncratic ('When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather
    scornful tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more
    nor less'), but I rather expect this is the most common usage of the
    terms, and what most people in this thread have in mind.

    It remains that the Access Linux Platform appears to be the first hope
    of a graceful migration path away from PalmOS that I've seen...
    --
    Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D. Phone -- (505) 646-1605
    Department of Computer Science FAX -- (505) 646-1002
    New Mexico State University http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~pfeiffer

  20. Re: Palm OS, RIP

    Captain's log. On StarDate Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:36:47 GMT received comm from Guy
    Bannis on channel comp.sys.palmtops:

    : In article <1140162453_2006@pnews.internode.on.net>,
    : Fa la la wrote:
    :
    : > On 2006-02-17 07:27:51 +1100, Guy Bannis said:
    : >
    : > > In article <1140068584_109@pnews.internode.on.net>,
    : > > Fa la la wrote:
    : > >
    : > >> http://www.access.co.jp/english/press/060214.html
    : > >
    : > > Why do you say "RIP"? All the Palm functionality will still be there,
    : > > and more, and it runs on Linux.
    : > >
    : > > It's just an evolution, not an extinction.
    : >
    : > That's sort of like saying that OS X didn't mean the death of OS 9 -
    : > after all, all the OS 9 functionality remained (and more), and it runs
    : > on BSD Unix. Sure, OS X is evolutionary, but it rendered OS 9 extinct,
    : > as evolutions have a way of doing.
    :
    : No. It means that OS X didn't mean the death of the Mac OS. It's still a
    : Mac OS.

    No.

    Yes, it has (partly) the same market name (today, used to be NextStep before
    Apple bougth the OS from Next).

    Mac OS 1-9 is a *completely* different OS from Mac OS X.

    It's the same with Windows 1.0 - ME who is a *completely* different OS from
    Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista, and both those *completely* different to Windows
    CE/HPC/Pocket PC/Mobile.

    martin

    --
    Martin Törnsten - http://martin.tornsten.com/


    _________________________________________
    Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
    More than 140,000 groups
    Unlimited download
    http://www.usenetzone.com to open account

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast