Palm OS, RIP - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm OS, RIP - Palmtop ; Joe Pfeiffer wrote: > Guy Bannis writes: > >> If the OS is still made by Palm, it's a Palm OS ... Doesn't matter what >> it consists of. >> >> Now, the Palm name can only be used by ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 43 of 43

  1. Re: Palm OS, RIP

    Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

    > Guy Bannis writes:
    >
    >> If the OS is still made by Palm, it's a Palm OS ... Doesn't matter what
    >> it consists of.
    >>
    >> Now, the Palm name can only be used by www.palm.com, the hardware maker.
    >> They bought the exclusive rights to the name last year from PalmSource.
    >>
    >> So the OS can no longer be called the Palm OS. Hence Access Linux
    >> Platform, or whatever.

    > While true, this isn't really relevant to the discussion.

    That's not quite true. The "Palm" trademark went with Palm Trademark
    Holding, but PalmSource either holds rights to or continues to license from
    PTH the trademark for "Palm OS".

    > When I talk
    > about the PalmOS, I mean the API and user interface I'm used to
    > calling the PalmOS. I don't much care whether it's called PalmOS or
    > Fred; likewise, if Palm were to decide to use the term to describe
    > Microsoft PPC running on a Palm device it wouldn't be what I mean when
    > I say PalmOS. This description leaves me open to charges of being
    > idiosyncratic ('When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather
    > scornful tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more
    > nor less'), but I rather expect this is the most common usage of the
    > terms, and what most people in this thread have in mind.
    >
    > It remains that the Access Linux Platform appears to be the first hope
    > of a graceful migration path away from PalmOS that I've seen...

    The question is whether it is going to be too little too late.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

  2. Re: Palm OS, RIP

    Captain's log. On StarDate Sat, 18 Feb 2006 07:26:52 GMT received comm from Guy
    Bannis on channel comp.sys.palmtops:

    : In article ,
    : Martin T wrote:
    :
    : > Captain's log. On StarDate Sat, 18 Feb 2006 02:48:20 GMT received comm from
    : > Guy
    : > Bannis on channel comp.sys.palmtops:
    : >
    : >
    : > : > : If the OS is still made by Palm, it's a Palm OS ... Doesn't matter what
    : > : > : it consists of.
    : > : > :
    : > : > : Now, the Palm name can only be used by www.palm.com, the hardware
    : > : > : maker.
    : > : > : They bought the exclusive rights to the name last year from PalmSource.
    : > : > :
    : > : > : So the OS can no longer be called the Palm OS. Hence Access Linux
    : > : > : Platform, or whatever.
    : >
    : > : > 1. You say it's just the (market) *name* who tells you if it's the same
    : > : > OS or
    : > : > not (and not the actual product behind the market name).
    : > : >
    : > : > 2. You say that it doesn't have the same market name (because they sold
    : > : > the
    : > : > rights), but yet define it as being the same OS.
    : > : >
    : > : > Both completely wrong, but even totally in error according to your own
    : > : > logic!
    : >
    : > : Let's see if you can follow this: the name of "Palm OS" is dead.
    : >
    : > ???
    : >
    : > No, please explain your (at least to me) rather strange and illogical
    : > comment.
    :
    : OK, Martin. The name "Palm" used to be shared by PalmSource, which made
    : the OS, and PalmOne, which licensed the OS for its hardware.
    :
    : Last year, PalmOne bought from PalmSource the exclusive rights to the
    : name "Palm."
    :
    : Since PalmOne doesn't make an OS, it won't be naming any OS a "Palm OS."
    :
    : PalmSource no longer had the right to use the name Palm, so it could no
    : longer call its OS a "Palm OS," or a Palm anything.
    :
    : When PalmSource then sold itself to Access, Access gave the next OS from
    : what was once PalmSource a new name, Access Linux Platform.

    I'm well aware of this.

    That's why PalmOS is "dead" effectively in both your definition (the name) and
    according to the definition the rest of us in this thread seems to hold (the
    actual system).

    This is also why I pointed out your own contradiction here.

    martin

    --
    Martin Törnsten - http://martin.tornsten.com/

    Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
    More than 140,000 groups
    Unlimited download

  3. Re: Palm OS, RIP

    Captain's log. On StarDate Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:43:07 +1100 received comm from Fa
    la la on channel comp.sys.palmtops:

    : http://www.access.co.jp/english/press/060214.html

    Here is another (IMO better link and description of it):

    "Palm OS 5, RIP. Access Linux Platform (ALP), hello beautiful!"

    http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/14/p...llo-beautiful/

    martin