Has anyone actually used a 2G SD Card in a T3? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Has anyone actually used a 2G SD Card in a T3? - Palmtop ; I've been reading a lot about the fact that a 2G SD card should work with T3 if it's formatted as fat16 but it seems that most of (if not all of) the information is theoretical. Has anyone actually bought ...

  1. Has anyone actually used a 2G SD Card in a T3?

    I've been reading a lot about the fact that a 2G SD card should work with T3
    if it's formatted as fat16 but it seems that most of (if not all of) the
    information is theoretical.

    Has anyone actually bought a 2G card, formatted it to fat16 and shoved it in
    a T3 and used it without any shortcomings? I would like to be able to do
    this and use it as "normal" including syncing data to it.

    Why? Well Wikipedia no longer fits on a 1G card with any useful space for
    anything else.

  2. Re: Has anyone actually used a 2G SD Card in a T3?

    JohnW wrote:

    > I've been reading a lot about the fact that a 2G SD card should work with T3
    > if it's formatted as fat16 but it seems that most of (if not all of) the
    > information is theoretical.
    >
    > Has anyone actually bought a 2G card, formatted it to fat16 and shoved it in
    > a T3 and used it without any shortcomings? I would like to be able to do
    > this and use it as "normal" including syncing data to it.
    >
    > Why? Well Wikipedia no longer fits on a 1G card with any useful space for
    > anything else.

    Yes - it doesn't work!.

    If I remember correctly - the T3 could read the card, but not write to
    it.

    T5's - or whatever - I think work OK with 2GB SD cards.

  3. Re: Has anyone actually used a 2G SD Card in a T3?

    Bill Marcum wrote:

    >Perhaps if you fdisk'ed the card to have a primary partition slightly
    >smaller than 2G? It might take some experimenting to find exactly what
    >the largest usable partition size is, or if it is really a hardware
    >problem that can't be worked around.

    Palm seems to agree that anything less than 2G will work:
    ----------------------
    Solution ID: 34080

    Maximum SD expansion card size and transfer speed for palmOne handhelds

    LifeDrive: see Knowledge Library article 39823 instead of this article.

    Because Secure Digital (SD) and MultiMediaCard (MMC) technology continues to
    evolve, newer expansion cards may offer different features, such as larger
    capacity and faster transfer speed, than were available for us to test when we
    developed our handhelds. Although we couldn't test future expansion cards with
    older handhelds during development, we expect many newer expansion cards to work
    with older palmOne devices.

    The maximum size of expansion card that can be used in your device depends on
    the model.

    Treo 650, 600 Tungsten T5, E2 Zire 72 LifeDrive and newer devices
    We have tested 2GB expansion cards with these devices and can say with
    confidence that they will work in these palmOne devices.

    Tungsten T3, T2 Zire 71, 31 and previous devices
    The file system used by these models, and those that came before them, can
    support expansion cards up to (but not including) 2GB. At the time of writing,
    1.5GB cards are available, and these will work with these devices. 2GB cards
    will not.

  4. Re: Has anyone actually used a 2G SD Card in a T3?

    You can access the card, but you can't write to it. What I mean, is that if
    you have an external card reader, preferably a USB 2.0 type, you can load
    data on to the card and use it on the palm. This is helpful if you use it
    mainly for map storage, or a backup of data just in case your palm fails.
    You can launch items from the card, but when you go back to the home page of
    your palm, none of the data, settings, changes, or preferances will be saved
    to the card

    "Bill Marcum" wrote in message
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.palmtops.]
    > On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 20:10:11 +0000, Keith
    > wrote:
    >> JohnW wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been reading a lot about the fact that a 2G SD card should work
    >>> with T3
    >>> if it's formatted as fat16 but it seems that most of (if not all of) the
    >>> information is theoretical.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone actually bought a 2G card, formatted it to fat16 and shoved
    >>> it in
    >>> a T3 and used it without any shortcomings? I would like to be able to do
    >>> this and use it as "normal" including syncing data to it.
    >>>
    >>> Why? Well Wikipedia no longer fits on a 1G card with any useful space
    >>> for
    >>> anything else.

    >> Yes - it doesn't work!.
    >>
    >> If I remember correctly - the T3 could read the card, but not write to
    >> it.
    >>

    > Perhaps if you fdisk'ed the card to have a primary partition slightly
    > smaller than 2G? It might take some experimenting to find exactly what
    > the largest usable partition size is, or if it is really a hardware
    > problem that can't be worked around.
    >

    > --
    > Adopted kids are such a pain -- you have to teach them how to look like
    > you ...
    > -- Gilda Radner

  5. Re: Has anyone actually used a 2G SD Card in a T3?

    JohnW wrote:
    > I've been reading a lot about the fact that a 2G SD card should work with T3
    > if it's formatted as fat16 but it seems that most of (if not all of) the
    > information is theoretical.
    >
    > Has anyone actually bought a 2G card, formatted it to fat16 and shoved it in
    > a T3 and used it without any shortcomings? I would like to be able to do
    > this and use it as "normal" including syncing data to it.
    >
    > Why? Well Wikipedia no longer fits on a 1G card with any useful space for
    > anything else.

    Can't speak for the T3, but 2G works fine on the TX.

    -jeff

  6. Re: Has anyone actually used a 2G SD Card in a T3?

    The formating the needs to be done is not to FAT16. It is formatting to
    FAT (which is FAT16). Why the difference ? I have no idea, but if a
    card needs to be formated for Palm OS 5.2x, it always a format as FAT.

    Jon

    JohnW wrote:
    > I've been reading a lot about the fact that a 2G SD card should work with T3
    > if it's formatted as fat16 but it seems that most of (if not all of) the
    > information is theoretical.
    >
    > Has anyone actually bought a 2G card, formatted it to fat16 and shoved it in
    > a T3 and used it without any shortcomings? I would like to be able to do
    > this and use it as "normal" including syncing data to it.
    >
    > Why? Well Wikipedia no longer fits on a 1G card with any useful space for
    > anything else.

  7. Re: Has anyone actually used a 2G SD Card in a T3?

    "Jolo" wrote in message
    news:1140458628.701984.232700@g43g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > The formating the needs to be done is not to FAT16. It is formatting to
    > FAT (which is FAT16). Why the difference ? I have no idea, but if a
    > card needs to be formated for Palm OS 5.2x, it always a format as FAT.

    FAT with no number is FAT 12. FAT 16 has to be specified so.

    Tom Lake

  8. Re: Has anyone actually used a 2G SD Card in a T3?

    Not true Tom.

    Tom Lake wrote:
    > "Jolo" wrote in message
    > news:1140458628.701984.232700@g43g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > > The formating the needs to be done is not to FAT16. It is formatting to
    > > FAT (which is FAT16). Why the difference ? I have no idea, but if a
    > > card needs to be formated for Palm OS 5.2x, it always a format as FAT.

    > FAT with no number is FAT 12. FAT 16 has to be specified so.
    >
    > Tom Lake

  9. Re: Has anyone actually used a 2G SD Card in a T3?

    Sorry, going back to an earlier post - can you download Wikipedia? I
    thought it was a web based encyclopedia... or are you using wget or
    somesuch?

  10. Re: Has anyone actually used a 2G SD Card in a T3?

    Robin wrote:
    > Sorry, going back to an earlier post - can you download Wikipedia? I
    > thought it was a web based encyclopedia... or are you using wget or
    > somesuch?

    http://infodisiac.com/Wikipedia/DownloadTR3.html

+ Reply to Thread