urgent - need info - "Anywhere" wireless internet access (EDGE/ GPRS
coverage)
via a wireless aircard attached to the laptop

I am travelling from Northern California to Southern California for a
few days.
It would be great to have wireless internet access from the car, beach
etc ...be able to check and return emails.
( I will be using it mostly to check emails and return emails)

I do not want to be stuck to my hotel in Southern california all day
just to check and reply to my emails.

Is there any company / service that offers a temporary service for the
above...or has a pay as you go service ....

This would be great ...as i need it only for 3 days.

It seems that most companies like Cingular have one year + contracts.

is the speed very slow ? How could is this coverage/ service ?

Do anyone have any info that could help me.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kim

PS I have heard about hotspots ...what are these ? and where in
Southern california ?