when to replace battery? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on when to replace battery? - Palmtop ; How does one tell it is time to replace the battery on the Palm m505 or Acer s10 etc.? Of course one should only purchase recently manufactured lithium batteries and all I need is the proper screwdriver? I suppose I ...

  1. when to replace battery?

    How does one tell it is time to replace the battery on the Palm m505
    or Acer s10 etc.?

    Of course one should only purchase recently manufactured lithium
    batteries and all I need is the proper screwdriver?

    I suppose I would first use e.g., pilot-link to take a snapshot of all
    of memory as it will need to be reloaded.

  2. Re: when to replace battery?

    __/ [Bill Marcum] on Monday 13 February 2006 00:37 \__

    > On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 02:00:33 +0800, Dan Jacobson
    > wrote:
    >> How does one tell it is time to replace the battery on the Palm m505
    >> or Acer s10 etc.?

    When it empties too quickly for the PDA to be good for practical purposes
    (this depends on how much you use the PDA and how often you charge it), then
    it is time to consider a replacement. It /does/ have a cost, however,
    especially if you do not change the battery yourself. That cost can be
    higher than the market value of the PDA.

    > On Palm devices, you can reset the charging circuit by pressing reset
    > while the cradle or charger is connected. If the running time per
    > charge has decreased significantly and this reset does not improve it,
    > it may be time for a new battery.

    Nice trick. I learned something new!

    >> Of course one should only purchase recently manufactured lithium
    >> batteries and all I need is the proper screwdriver?
    >>

    > See http://gethightech.com for batteries and disassembly instructions.
    > Some handhelds are glued together and you need a hair dryer to soften
    > the glue. You might also need to solder the battery.

    I would also recommend Peter's Pilot Pages:

    http://www.pspilot.de/

    I recently used his instructions to open up my Tungsten, but the unit's
    internals were too delicate to complete the job. Be careful!

    >> I suppose I would first use e.g., pilot-link to take a snapshot of all
    >> of memory as it will need to be reloaded.

    Yes, copy PDA to desktop, then copy desktop to PDA. Are you not using a front
    end like gpilot/jpilot or kpilot?

    Hope it helps,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Free the mind, the source will follow"
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

  3. Re: when to replace battery?

    The m505 is NOT glued together. Remove the four torx head screwws then
    pry the back off. It has some plastic catches and may seem to be glued
    but it is not. Heat will not help.

+ Reply to Thread