Graffiti shortcuts but for Windows PC...? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Graffiti shortcuts but for Windows PC...? - Palmtop ; I really enjoy using the graffiti shortcuts on my Palm and was wondering, is there a "similar" option for Windows XP so that if I type: ".mt" it will put the word "meeting" in any document that I am typing ...

  1. Graffiti shortcuts but for Windows PC...?

    I really enjoy using the graffiti shortcuts on my Palm and was
    wondering, is there a "similar" option for Windows XP so that if I type:
    ".mt" it will put the word "meeting" in any document that I am typing
    e.g. notepad, wordpad, or any text box/address bar.
    I know there is no "ribbon" shape squiggle for the shortcut key like on
    a palm so using the "." as a prefix would help.
    Thanks

  2. Re: Graffiti shortcuts but for Windows PC...?

    On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 01:36:37 -0000, "" wrote:

    > I really enjoy using the graffiti shortcuts on my Palm and was
    > wondering, is there a "similar" option for Windows XP so that if I type:
    > ".mt" it will put the word "meeting" in any document that I am typing
    > e.g. notepad, wordpad, or any text box/address bar.
    > I know there is no "ribbon" shape squiggle for the shortcut key like on
    > a palm so using the "." as a prefix would help.
    > Thanks

    In WordPad or Notepad> No--not without a third-party utility.

    In MS Word, you can use the "Auto Correct" options to accomplish similar
    functionality. I use several "Auto Corrects" as shortcuts and they work
    just fine (e.g., vpr for "Vice President"). I could use a unique prefix
    (even a period), but I don't use enough shortcuts to warrant the use of
    another character.

    --
    Mike

  3. Re: Graffiti shortcuts but for Windows PC...?

    Tinman wrote:
    > On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 01:36:37 -0000, "" wrote:
    >

    >>I really enjoy using the graffiti shortcuts on my Palm and was
    >>wondering, is there a "similar" option for Windows XP so that if I type:
    >>".mt" it will put the word "meeting" in any document that I am typing
    >>e.g. notepad, wordpad, or any text box/address bar.
    >>I know there is no "ribbon" shape squiggle for the shortcut key like on
    >>a palm so using the "." as a prefix would help.
    >>Thanks
    >>

    > In WordPad or Notepad> No--not without a third-party utility.
    >
    > In MS Word, you can use the "Auto Correct" options to accomplish similar
    > functionality. I use several "Auto Corrects" as shortcuts and they work
    > just fine (e.g., vpr for "Vice President"). I could use a unique prefix
    > (even a period), but I don't use enough shortcuts to warrant the use of
    > another character.

    In Wordpad/Notepad just use find/replace after you are done with your
    text entry - a valid technique for about any word processor or text
    editor. You just don't have the "realtime" in-place substitution, but
    do you really need that?

    FWIW,
    ROC

  4. Re: Graffiti shortcuts but for Windows PC...?

    spamroc wrote:
    > Tinman wrote:
    >>
    >> In WordPad or Notepad> No--not without a third-party utility.
    >>
    >> In MS Word, you can use the "Auto Correct" options to accomplish
    >> similar functionality. I use several "Auto Corrects" as shortcuts
    >> and they work just fine (e.g., vpr for "Vice President"). I could
    >> use a unique prefix (even a period), but I don't use enough
    >> shortcuts to warrant the use of another character.
    >>

    > In Wordpad/Notepad just use find/replace after you are done with your
    > text entry - a valid technique for about any word processor or text
    > editor. You just don't have the "realtime" in-place substitution, but
    > do you really need that?

    Well, yes, it would be nice. Otherwise I'd have to keep track of all the
    shortcuts I used, and I wouldn't know immediately if I mistyped one. I'd
    hate to send a business letter/email to Acme, Inc., regarding their
    Amalgamated Storage Systems division that contained "We look forward to
    a fantastic working relationship with Acme's ass..." because I mistyped
    as.s as ass! (Those are the typos you catch 18 milliseconds after
    clicking "Send.")

    As usual, YMMV!

    --
    Mike