So sad my old college dumped their DOS registration system! - Palmtop

This is a discussion on So sad my old college dumped their DOS registration system! - Palmtop ; Just registered for a fitness coarse at a college I have not attended since 2001. This was the same college where I earned my AS degree in business technology back in 2000. Having not attended there in 5 years I ...

  1. So sad my old college dumped their DOS registration system!

    Just registered for a fitness coarse at a college I have not attended since
    2001. This was the same college where I earned my AS degree in business
    technology back in 2000.

    Having not attended there in 5 years I noticed MANY MANY changes to the
    college. One major one was that the college no longer was using DOS to
    register students and print schedules as they were in 2001 and earlier. But
    it amazes me that even in 2001 they were still using DOS. After watching the
    registar and the many mouse operations it required to enter or look up
    coarses it looked like they still could use DOS.

    Why do people think dumping DOS is ALWAYS an upgrade?

    John

    --
    If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you.
    If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you

  2. Re: So sad my old college dumped their DOS registration system!

    "John the Baptist Jr." wrote:

    > Just registered for a fitness coarse at a college I have not attended since
    > 2001. This was the same college where I earned my AS degree in business
    > technology back in 2000.

    You might want to stop off at the English Department, on your way.

    It's "course," not "coarse!"

    Notan

  3. Re: So sad my old college dumped their DOS registration system!

    John the Baptist Jr. wrote:
    > Just registered for a fitness coarse at a college I have not attended since
    > 2001.

    > Having not attended there in 5 years I noticed MANY MANY changes to the
    > college. One major one was that the college no longer was using DOS to
    > register students and print schedules as they were in 2001 and earlier. But
    > it amazes me that even in 2001 they were still using DOS. After watching the
    > registar and the many mouse operations it required to enter or look up
    > courses it looked like they still could use DOS.

    > Why do people think dumping DOS is ALWAYS an upgrade?

    > John

    *** Marketing.

    I now routinely refer to Windows as a "downgrade".

    Richard Bonner
    http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

  4. Re: So sad my old college dumped their DOS registration system!

    John the Baptist Jr. wrote:
    > Just registered for a fitness coarse at a college I have not attended since
    > 2001. This was the same college where I earned my AS degree in business
    > technology back in 2000.
    >
    > Having not attended there in 5 years I noticed MANY MANY changes to the
    > college. One major one was that the college no longer was using DOS to
    > register students and print schedules as they were in 2001 and earlier. But
    > it amazes me that even in 2001 they were still using DOS. After watching the
    > registar and the many mouse operations it required to enter or look up
    > coarses it looked like they still could use DOS.
    >
    > Why do people think dumping DOS is ALWAYS an upgrade?

    Because DOS is, and always was, an incompetently designed toy operating
    system for toy computers. Its engineering is at about the stage that
    operating-system design had reached just as vacuum tubes were being
    replaced with discrete transistors.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "But now is a new thing which is very old--

  5. Re: So sad my old college dumped their DOS registration system!

    Feeding the trolls seems to be popular around here, wise up people.

  6. Re: So sad my old college dumped their DOS registration system!

    John W. Kennedy wrote:
    > John the Baptist Jr. wrote:
    > > Why do people think dumping DOS is ALWAYS an upgrade?

    > Because DOS is, and always was, an incompetently designed toy operating
    > system for toy computers. Its engineering is at about the stage that
    > operating-system design had reached just as vacuum tubes were being
    > replaced with discrete transistors.
    > --
    > John W. Kennedy

    *** Ahhh, the Microsoft marketing/brainwashing machine is working
    well. (-:

    Richard Bonner
    http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

  7. Re: So sad my old college dumped their DOS registration system!

    On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 18:35:18 +0000 (UTC), ak621@chebucto.ns.ca (Richard
    Bonner) wrote:

    >> John W. Kennedy

    >*** Ahhh, the Microsoft marketing/brainwashing machine is working
    >well. (-:

    Yes. How do they do this?

  8. Re: So sad my old college dumped their DOS registration system!

    On Fri 03 Feb 2006 02:10:26p, DogFart ,
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 18:35:18 +0000 (UTC), ak621@chebucto.ns.ca (Richard
    > Bonner) wrote:
    >
    >>> John W. Kennedy

    >>*** Ahhh, the Microsoft marketing/brainwashing machine is working
    >>well. (-:

    > Yes. How do they do this?

    FUD and bribes.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  9. Re: So sad my old college dumped their DOS registration system!

    DogFart wrote:
    > On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 18:35:18 +0000 (UTC), ak621@chebucto.ns.ca (Richard
    > Bonner) wrote:

    > >> John W. Kennedy

    > >*** Ahhh, the Microsoft marketing/brainwashing machine is working
    > >well. (-:

    > Yes. How do they do this?

    *** LSD in the water supply?

    Richard Bonner
    http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

  10. Re: So sad my old college dumped their DOS registration system!

    Richard Bonner wrote:
    > John W. Kennedy wrote:
    >> John the Baptist Jr. wrote:
    >>> Why do people think dumping DOS is ALWAYS an upgrade?

    >> Because DOS is, and always was, an incompetently designed toy operating
    >> system for toy computers. Its engineering is at about the stage that
    >> operating-system design had reached just as vacuum tubes were being
    >> replaced with discrete transistors.
    >> --
    >> John W. Kennedy

    > *** Ahhh, the Microsoft marketing/brainwashing machine is working
    > well. (-:

    Microsoft created DOS, idiot.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "But now is a new thing which is very old--
    that the rich make themselves richer and not poorer,
    which is the true Gospel, for the poor's sake."
    -- Charles Williams. "Judgement at Chelmsford"

  11. Re: So sad my old college dumped their DOS registration system!

    In article , jwkenne@attglobal.net says...
    > Richard Bonner wrote:
    > > John W. Kennedy wrote:

    > >> Because DOS is, and always was, an incompetently designed toy operating
    > >> system for toy computers. Its engineering is at about the stage that
    > >> operating-system design had reached just as vacuum tubes were being
    > >> replaced with discrete transistors.
    > >> --
    > >> John W. Kennedy

    > > *** Ahhh, the Microsoft marketing/brainwashing machine is working
    > > well. (-:

    > Microsoft created DOS, idiot.

    I wouldn't say "created"... more like copied, mirrored and tinkered
    with. I'm no genius, and certainly no "idiot", but I wouldn't give
    Microsoft ALL of the credit for DOS! I believe to have "created"
    something, one must have "built" it from the ground up. I don't believe
    this was the case.

    Read below and see if "Microsoft created DOS, idiot.", still applies.

    In 1980, IBM first approached Bill Gates and Microsoft, to discuss the
    state of home computers and Microsoft products. Gates gave IBM a few
    ideas on what would make a great home computer, among them to have Basic
    written into the ROM chip. Microsoft had already produced several
    versions of Basic for different computer system beginning with the
    Altair, so Gates was more than happy to write a version for IBM.

    As for an operating system (OS) for the new computers, since Microsoft
    had never written an operating system before, Gates had suggested that
    IBM investigate an OS called CP/M (Control Program for Microcomputers),
    written by Gary Kildall of Digital Research. Kindall had his Ph.D. in
    computers and had written the most successful operating system of the
    time, selling over 600,000 copies of CP/M, his OS set the standard at
    that time.

    IBM tried to contact Kildall for a meeting, executives met with Mrs.
    Kildall who refused to sign a non-disclosure agreement. IBM soon
    returned to Bill Gates and gave Microsoft the contract to write the new
    operating system, one that would eventually wipe Kildall's CP/M out of
    common use.

    The "Microsoft Disk Operating System" or MS-DOS was based on QDOS, the
    "Quick and Dirty Operating System" written by Tim Paterson of Seattle
    Computer Products, for their prototype Intel 8086 based computer.

    QDOS was based on Gary Kildall's CP/M, Paterson had bought a CP/M manual
    and used it as the basis to write his operating system in six weeks,
    QDOS was different enough from CP/M to be considered legal.

    Microsoft bought the rights to QDOS for $50,000, keeping the IBM deal a
    secret from Seattle Computer Products.

    Gates then talked IBM into letting Microsoft retain the rights, to
    market MS DOS separate from the IBM PC project, Gates proceeded to make
    a fortune from the licensing of MS-DOS.

    Al

  12. Re: So sad my old college dumped their DOS registration system!

    AlleyCat wrote:
    > In article , jwkenne@attglobal.net says...
    >> Richard Bonner wrote:
    >>> *** Ahhh, the Microsoft marketing/brainwashing machine is working
    >>> well. (-:

    >> Microsoft created DOS, idiot.
    >>

    > I wouldn't say "created"... more like copied, mirrored and tinkered
    > with. I'm no genius, and certainly no "idiot", but I wouldn't give
    > Microsoft ALL of the credit for DOS! I believe to have "created"
    > something, one must have "built" it from the ground up. I don't believe
    > this was the case.
    >
    > Read below and see if "Microsoft created DOS, idiot.", still applies.

    [snip long and irrelevant history lesson that everyone already knows]

    No matter the history behind DOS of CP/M and QDOS, Microsoft took the
    responsibility for a stone ax, and sold it as an operating system.

    Microsoft, as far as I'm concerned, is no better than organized crime
    (Bill Gates' $1,000,000 a year subsidy of a treasonous organization
    dedicated to the institution of a theocracy in the US is worse yet), and
    Microsoft products are bug-ridden and slovenly. That doesn't change the
    fact that the Windows NT/2000/XP line is, however bad, a real operating
    system, where DOS is not.

    And none of this changes the fact that, as has been pointed out
    elsewhere in this thread, there is no logical connection to speak of
    between an operating system and the user interfaces of application
    programs coded for that operating system.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "But now is a new thing which is very old--
    that the rich make themselves richer and not poorer,
    which is the true Gospel, for the poor's sake."
    -- Charles Williams. "Judgement at Chelmsford"

  13. Re: So sad my old college dumped their DOS registration system!

    John W. Kennedy wrote:
    > there is no logical connection to speak of
    > between an operating system and the user interfaces of application
    > programs coded for that operating system.
    > --
    > John W. Kennedy

    *** I must disagree. Most GUI software is written for those using the
    mouse with little regard for the command line because the operating
    systems for which they are written ignore the command line for the most
    part. Exceptions are Unix and Linux, and even for those systems, software
    is still heavily biased toward the GUI interface.

    DOS is also an exception because most of its GUI softwares also have
    good, if not exceptional command-line interfaces.

    Richard Bonner
    http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

  14. Re: So sad my old college dumped their DOS registration system!

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:22:19 -0500, John W. Kennedy wrote:

    > Because DOS is, and always was, an incompetently designed toy operating
    > system for toy computers. Its engineering is at about the stage that
    > operating-system design had reached just as vacuum tubes were being
    > replaced with discrete transistors.

    .... while Windows and it's derivatives are just about at the same stage as
    when Edison first discovered the Edison effect.

  15. Re: So sad my old college dumped their DOS registration system!

    >... while Windows and it's derivatives are just about at the same stage as
    >when Edison first discovered the Edison effect.

    Wow! What are the chances of someone discovering an effect with the
    same name as theirs?

  16. Re: So sad my old college dumped their DOS registration system!

    "John the Baptist Jr." wrote in message ...
    > Just registered for a fitness coarse at a college I have not attended

    since
    > 2001. This was the same college where I earned my AS degree in business
    > technology back in 2000.
    >
    > Having not attended there in 5 years I noticed MANY MANY changes to the
    > college. One major one was that the college no longer was using DOS to
    > register students and print schedules as they were in 2001 and earlier.

    But
    > it amazes me that even in 2001 they were still using DOS. After watching

    the
    > registar and the many mouse operations it required to enter or look up
    > coarses it looked like they still could use DOS.
    >
    > Why do people think dumping DOS is ALWAYS an upgrade?

    The university I attended switched to a (CGI) web-based registration program
    in late 2002. Prior to that, they had been using the same line-menu
    program since, oh, about 1987! The line-menu program ran on a VAX/VMS
    machine and could be accessed with any VT-100 terminal, including telneting
    in from off campus.

    The main reason for the change was simply accessibility over the web.
    Previously, the majority of students would use terminal stations on campus
    to do their registration, rather than telnet in from home.

    I prefered the VAX/VMS program though. For me, it was simply much easier,
    cleaner, and faster. It was always rock solid as well. (The web portal now
    is often subject to all sorts of problems.)

    -Eric

+ Reply to Thread