Newbie Question on PDA Software Development - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Newbie Question on PDA Software Development - Palmtop ; Sorry for the cross-post, I'm new to programming for handhelds and wasn't sure where to go ... I've been tasked with writing some software for "a handheld" (and it's up to me to decide which one). It would be cool ...

  1. Newbie Question on PDA Software Development

    Sorry for the cross-post, I'm new to programming for handhelds and wasn't
    sure where to go ...

    I've been tasked with writing some software for "a handheld" (and it's up to
    me to decide which one). It would be cool if the software I created worked
    on the PDAs that our field people already have, except that ...
    1) most of the field people are using HP 4100s or 4300s, which have been
    discontinued.
    2) new field people are being issued HP 2490s, which have problems.
    3) within the next year, corporate will make a switch, probably to either
    the Palm Treo (phone thingy) or BlackBerry.

    So ... my questions are these -

    It looks like the HPs all use Windows Mobile?
    If I write a program that runs under Windows Mobile, that will run on any
    handheld that runs Windows Mobile?
    Palm Treo probably runs Palm OS?
    Palm OS is of course totally different from Windows Mobile?
    BlackBerry uses their own OS, which is different from Palm and Windows
    Mobile?

    Does anyone make development systems that let me write code once, and have
    it run on all 3 OS's (thus hedging my bets)? Maybe Java?

    Thanks in advance for all suggestions!
    Chris

  2. Re: Newbie Question on PDA Software Development

    In article <11u574f1vsg1qac@corp.supernews.com>,
    "Chris Shearer Cooper" wrote:

    > It looks like the HPs all use Windows Mobile?

    Yes.

    > If I write a program that runs under Windows Mobile, that will run on any
    > handheld that runs Windows Mobile?

    Not necessarily. The history of Microsoft for handhelds is that new
    versions are incompatible with old apps.

    > Palm Treo probably runs Palm OS?

    Palm has licensed Windows Mobile and is selling both Palm OS and Window
    Mobile Treos.

    > Palm OS is of course totally different from Windows Mobile?

    The app has to be developed for each.

    > BlackBerry uses their own OS, which is different from Palm and Windows
    > Mobile?

    Yes. I don't know why anyone would want a Blackberry. See
    http://www.good.com/ for the same type of functionality on a Treo or Win
    Mob device.

    > Does anyone make development systems that let me write code once, and have
    > it run on all 3 OS's (thus hedging my bets)? Maybe Java?

    The handheld would need a Java environment. And it would have to come
    from a third party. You'd also need to develop for the Java environment
    designed for handhelds, not the server flavor of Java.

  3. Re: Newbie Question on PDA Software Development

    On 2006-02-02, Chris Shearer Cooper wrote:
    > Does anyone make development systems that let me write code once, and have
    > it run on all 3 OS's (thus hedging my bets)? Maybe Java?

    Yeah, though they do limit the potential performance a bit. Google
    around a bit, I know of MobiForms and NSBasic, though I haven't used
    either. There are Java environments (Java 2 Micro Edition is the
    official one, and SuperWaba is an unofficial but, I've heard, good one)
    though, of course, performance can again be an issue.

    In practice, unless you're writing a game the performance overhead
    shouldn't be too much of an issue. Without knowing more about what
    you're trying to do it's hard to say more than that.

    --
    Sincerely,

    Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

    "If you don't vote, your vote is for 'whoever wins' which is
    distinct from a vote for 'nobody'." - fishbowl

  4. Re: Newbie Question on PDA Software Development

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 07:05:49 GMT, Guy Bannis wrote:

    >In article <11u574f1vsg1qac@corp.supernews.com>,
    > "Chris Shearer Cooper" wrote:
    >
    >> It looks like the HPs all use Windows Mobile?

    >Yes.
    >
    >> If I write a program that runs under Windows Mobile, that will run on any
    >> handheld that runs Windows Mobile?

    >Not necessarily. The history of Microsoft for handhelds is that new
    >versions are incompatible with old apps.

    Not quite. The folks in charge of the base Windows CE operating system
    have been _very_ good about maintaining backward compatibility. The
    folks in charge of platforms (e.g., Pocket PC and Smartphone) were
    also careful until recently (around WM 2003). Even now, some apps
    written for older platforms work well on WM 5, although at least some
    tweaking helps. And compatibility is certainly not a safe assumption.

    >> Palm Treo probably runs Palm OS?

    >Palm has licensed Windows Mobile and is selling both Palm OS and Window
    >Mobile Treos.
    >
    >> Palm OS is of course totally different from Windows Mobile?

    >The app has to be developed for each.
    >
    >> BlackBerry uses their own OS, which is different from Palm and Windows
    >> Mobile?

    >Yes. I don't know why anyone would want a Blackberry. See
    >http://www.good.com/ for the same type of functionality on a Treo or Win
    >Mob device.
    >
    >> Does anyone make development systems that let me write code once, and have
    >> it run on all 3 OS's (thus hedging my bets)? Maybe Java?

    >The handheld would need a Java environment. And it would have to come
    >from a third party. You'd also need to develop for the Java environment
    >designed for handhelds, not the server flavor of Java.

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  5. Re: Newbie Question on PDA Software Development

    On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 16:28:02 -0700, "Chris Shearer Cooper"
    wrote:

    >Sorry for the cross-post, I'm new to programming for handhelds and wasn't
    >sure where to go ...
    >
    >I've been tasked with writing some software for "a handheld" (and it's up to
    >me to decide which one). It would be cool if the software I created worked
    >on the PDAs that our field people already have, except that ...
    >1) most of the field people are using HP 4100s or 4300s, which have been
    >discontinued.
    >2) new field people are being issued HP 2490s, which have problems.
    >3) within the next year, corporate will make a switch, probably to either
    >the Palm Treo (phone thingy) or BlackBerry.
    >
    >So ... my questions are these -
    >
    >It looks like the HPs all use Windows Mobile?
    >If I write a program that runs under Windows Mobile, that will run on any
    >handheld that runs Windows Mobile?
    >Palm Treo probably runs Palm OS?
    >Palm OS is of course totally different from Windows Mobile?
    >BlackBerry uses their own OS, which is different from Palm and Windows
    >Mobile?
    >
    >Does anyone make development systems that let me write code once, and have
    >it run on all 3 OS's (thus hedging my bets)? Maybe Java?

    I just used google (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to
    look up
    cross
    in microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer and got 283 hits. I took a
    quick look, and think you'll find useful info. You might at least
    check a 20 Sep 2004 thread called "Recommended cross-platform
    development tools for PDAs and mobile telephones?"

    I am definitely biased, but I think buying is often less expensive
    than creating. Especially when novices are creating. In this
    situation, buying means the vendor would have to deal with all the
    compatibility issues. Several companies, including mine sell a wide
    variety of software to support field workers. We support just about
    all Windows devices, including Pocket PCs, but not Smartphones.

    >Thanks in advance for all suggestions!
    >Chris

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  6. Re: Newbie Question on PDA Software Development

    I agree that buying is often preferable to creating; in this case, the
    software is actually not something the field people would use, but something
    we would sell to our customers, and if our field people already have the
    right PDA, it makes it easier for them to demo it to potential customers.

    I will definitely check out that link - thanks!

+ Reply to Thread