SanDisk or Toshiba SD card ?? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on SanDisk or Toshiba SD card ?? - Palmtop ; Hi there, Can you please help me to keep my sanity ? Recently I made a foray into the world of digital photography by buying my first digital camera Kodak of a lower specification during Xmas sale. At Xmas sale, ...

  1. SanDisk or Toshiba SD card ??

    Hi there,

    Can you please help me to keep my sanity ? Recently I made a foray into
    the world of digital photography by buying my first digital camera
    Kodak of a lower specification during Xmas sale. At Xmas sale, I also
    bought a Japan-made Toshiba SD card (256MB capacity) for only AU$50
    (US$38). I liked the feeling when I was holding this neatly-made
    quality card. The specifications which I found on the Internet said
    this card had a read/write speed of 7MBps/2MBps. I also liked that the
    marking was practically painted on the card and not made of an
    easily-wearable paper sticker.

    I decided it was not right for me and I turned the card back to the
    retailer. I wanted something of a brand name but cheaper which would
    be in line with the cheaper camera. I had a look at a rebadged Toshiba
    card made in Taiwan and did not like its coarse look. Finally, I
    discovered that the China-made Sandisk Standard SD card (256MB) looked
    rather neat, and all of my colleagues seemed to have the card of this
    brand name and were happy with it. So I bought it on special for AU$42
    (US$32).

    The camera writes to/reads from the Sandisk card (serial number
    AR0534304059B) at the same speed as did with Toshiba card (because the
    reading/writing speed is limited by the camera itself). The card-to-PC
    transfer is capped at 1.5MB/s which is obviously the speed of the
    inbuilt SD reader. However, the feeling of committing a worse deal does
    not leave me for several days already. The Internet search turned up
    that the Sandisk cards generally were considered as slow and had a
    read/write speed of up to 2MBps/1MBps correspondingly. My coarse
    measurement showed that the read/write speed was 1.5MBps/1.3MBps (the
    read speed was probably limited by the inbuilt PC reader and might in
    reality be slightly more... say, 2MB/s). This is peanuts for the modern
    cards ! The card of such a speed would be unsuitable for a better-spec
    digital camera or for a hand-held PC... however I reasoned that when in
    few years I am going to buy any of them, the price for memory cards
    will drop and the better cameras/hand-helds/cards will released to the
    market.

    Nevertheless, as I said, I feel that I did a worse deal. I searched the
    Internet to see what advantages the Sandisk cards had over Toshibas,
    and found out that Sandisks are reputed for their reliability... so are
    the Toshibas. More of the search turned up that it was the Panasonic
    brand which had the best reputation for speed because they had the best
    access times because of the controller design. I even learnt that the
    larger-capacity Standard SD Cards from Sandisk (512MB and above) had a
    significantly higher read/write speed (than the 256-MB cards). For
    example, their read speed of 7MB/s was somewhat close to the Sandisk
    Ultra II which had a read speed of 10MB/s.

    So, can anyone tell me why it is good to have a Sandisk SD card and why
    it is better than Toshiba ?

    Thanks a million in advance.

    Regards,
    D.

  2. Re: SanDisk or Toshiba SD card ??

    droci11o@yahoo.com wrote in news:1138620022.474185.139340
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > So, can anyone tell me why it is good to have a Sandisk SD card and why
    > it is better than Toshiba ?

    IME, the Toshibas and SanDisks are pretty comparable. I won't buy
    either. I've had much better luck with Panasonics.

    --
    Regards,

    Stan

    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin

  3. Re: SanDisk or Toshiba SD card ??

    Stop sweating the little stuff. Don't obsess over a $32 card. The
    cost of the card is pretty minor compared to what a lot of us have
    invested in systems.

    If you are doing high-end photography, moving LOTS of pictures around,
    and shooting large files, then the disk makes a huge difference.

    If you are taking picture family picture and stuff and downloading
    pictures once-a-week or so, there's not much of a difference. And
    since you are using a 256, that's probably what you are doing.

    I've used Panosonic, Sans Disk and other brands. Either brand will
    work fine for what you want. I am also happy to report that I
    inadvertently put a SanDisk through the washer one day and it was fine
    (but that's not recommended).

    Your purchase is fine. Good luck with everything.

  4. Re: SanDisk or Toshiba SD card ??

    On 30 Jan 2006 03:20:22 -0800, droci11o@yahoo.com wrote:

    >So, can anyone tell me why it is good to have a Sandisk SD card and why
    >it is better than Toshiba ?

    Because you already have the Sandisk card, and Toshiba is pissed that
    you returned their card, so they will spit into any Toshiba card you
    buy in the future.

    --
    Big Bill
    Replace "g" with "a"

  5. Re: SanDisk or Toshiba SD card ??

    wrote in message
> [...]
    > will drop and the better cameras/hand-helds/cards will released to the
    > market.
    >
    > Nevertheless, as I said, I feel that I did a worse deal. I searched the
    > Internet to see what advantages the Sandisk cards had over Toshibas,
    > and found out that Sandisks are reputed for their reliability... so are
    > the Toshibas. More of the search turned up that it was the Panasonic
    > brand which had the best reputation for speed because they had the best
    > access times because of the controller design. I even learnt that the
    > larger-capacity Standard SD Cards from Sandisk (512MB and above) had a
    > significantly higher read/write speed (than the 256-MB cards). For
    > example, their read speed of 7MB/s was somewhat close to the Sandisk
    > Ultra II which had a read speed of 10MB/s.
    >
    > So, can anyone tell me why it is good to have a Sandisk SD card and why

    #

    It works for you- don't spend anymore time thinking about the card- use it
    in the way it is meant to be used . It's doing the job

  6. Re: SanDisk or Toshiba SD card ??

    On 30 Jan 2006 03:20:22 -0800, droci11o@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >Can you please help me to keep my sanity ? Recently I made a foray into
    >the world of digital photography by buying my first digital camera
    >Kodak of a lower specification during Xmas sale. At Xmas sale, I also
    >bought a Japan-made Toshiba SD card (256MB capacity) for only AU$50
    >(US$38).

    I would go with the Sandisk card. I don't do Toshiba.....ever.

    After they shafted ppc users a while back I don't do
    Toshiba products.

    I liked the feeling when I was holding this neatly-made
    >quality card. The specifications which I found on the Internet said
    >this card had a read/write speed of 7MBps/2MBps. I also liked that the
    >marking was practically painted on the card and not made of an
    >easily-wearable paper sticker.
    >
    >I decided it was not right for me and I turned the card back to the
    >retailer. I wanted something of a brand name but cheaper which would
    >be in line with the cheaper camera. I had a look at a rebadged Toshiba
    >card made in Taiwan and did not like its coarse look. Finally, I
    >discovered that the China-made Sandisk Standard SD card (256MB) looked
    >rather neat, and all of my colleagues seemed to have the card of this
    >brand name and were happy with it. So I bought it on special for AU$42
    >(US$32).
    >
    >The camera writes to/reads from the Sandisk card (serial number
    >AR0534304059B) at the same speed as did with Toshiba card (because the
    >reading/writing speed is limited by the camera itself). The card-to-PC
    >transfer is capped at 1.5MB/s which is obviously the speed of the
    >inbuilt SD reader. However, the feeling of committing a worse deal does
    >not leave me for several days already. The Internet search turned up
    >that the Sandisk cards generally were considered as slow and had a
    >read/write speed of up to 2MBps/1MBps correspondingly. My coarse
    >measurement showed that the read/write speed was 1.5MBps/1.3MBps (the
    >read speed was probably limited by the inbuilt PC reader and might in
    >reality be slightly more... say, 2MB/s). This is peanuts for the modern
    >cards ! The card of such a speed would be unsuitable for a better-spec
    >digital camera or for a hand-held PC... however I reasoned that when in
    >few years I am going to buy any of them, the price for memory cards
    >will drop and the better cameras/hand-helds/cards will released to the
    >market.
    >
    >Nevertheless, as I said, I feel that I did a worse deal. I searched the
    >Internet to see what advantages the Sandisk cards had over Toshibas,
    >and found out that Sandisks are reputed for their reliability... so are
    >the Toshibas. More of the search turned up that it was the Panasonic
    >brand which had the best reputation for speed because they had the best
    >access times because of the controller design. I even learnt that the
    >larger-capacity Standard SD Cards from Sandisk (512MB and above) had a
    >significantly higher read/write speed (than the 256-MB cards). For
    >example, their read speed of 7MB/s was somewhat close to the Sandisk
    >Ultra II which had a read speed of 10MB/s.
    >
    >So, can anyone tell me why it is good to have a Sandisk SD card and why
    >it is better than Toshiba ?
    >
    >Thanks a million in advance.
    >
    >Regards,
    >D.

  7. Re: SanDisk or Toshiba SD card ??

    D.,

    Don't sweat the little things. If your camera can write to it at it's
    (the camera) max speed and it writes to you 'puter at the reader you are
    using's max speed, then a difference that makes no differene IS NO
    difference! So be happy you saved a few bucks!

    droci11o@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Nevertheless, as I said, I feel that I did a worse deal. I searched the
    > Internet to see what advantages the Sandisk cards had over Toshibas,
    > and found out that Sandisks are reputed for their reliability... so are

  8. wearability of SanDisk or Toshiba SD card

    Thanks everyone for your replies. There remains a problem of longevity
    of the contact pads, though. I like to insert the SD card into my
    camera and into the PC reader many times per week. Is there a common
    knowledge on which card have a better wearability ? For example,
    Sandisk cards have a (gold ?) plating on their contacts which looks
    cloudy (only in Sandisks). This "clouded" plating seems to wear out
    faster than the plating of any other card. Do you guys agree ?

    One can see the detailed pictures of cards and of their contacts at the
    website
    http://www.ixbt.com/storage/flashcard-test-p7-sd.shtml . There, the PNY
    Technologies cards are rebadged Sandisk Standard cards. Also, one can
    see pictures of more cards at
    http://www.ixbt.com/storage/flashcar...12-sdmmc.shtml and
    http://www.ixbt.com/storage/flashcard-test-p16-sd.shtml .

    Regards,
    D.

  9. Re: wearability of SanDisk or Toshiba SD card

    "drocillo" wrote in message
    news:1138667376.911773.182770@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Thanks everyone for your replies. There remains a problem of longevity
    > of the contact pads, though. I like to insert the SD card into my
    > camera and into the PC reader many times per week. Is there a common
    > knowledge on which card have a better wearability ? For example,
    > Sandisk cards have a (gold ?) plating on their contacts which looks
    > cloudy (only in Sandisks). This "clouded" plating seems to wear out
    > faster than the plating of any other card. Do you guys agree ?
    >
    > One can see the detailed pictures of cards and of their contacts at the
    > website
    > http://www.ixbt.com/storage/flashcard-test-p7-sd.shtml . There, the PNY
    > Technologies cards are rebadged Sandisk Standard cards. Also, one can
    > see pictures of more cards at
    > http://www.ixbt.com/storage/flashcar...12-sdmmc.shtml and
    > http://www.ixbt.com/storage/flashcard-test-p16-sd.shtml .
    >
    > Regards,
    > D.

    If that is a concern it is the kind of thing you should investigate before
    your purchase, not after. You will need to look at the card specs to see if
    it is included. If not email the manufacturers- they are more likely to know
    that card users.

  10. Re: SanDisk or Toshiba SD card ??

    #1 - Your posting has nothing really to do with PocketPC's, or palmtops.
    #2 - Most manufacturers make high-speed and regular speed cards. Which ones
    are you buying?

    The reading I've done suggests that there might be a small increase in speed
    in "normal" (i.e. lower end consumer level cameras, PDA's, etc) devices, but
    there can a be a big difference in speeds when using card readers. The
    readers have a chance at using the maximum throughput of the cards, but it
    probably won't make a difference on the PDAs and cameras.

    FWIW, I use a Kingston 1GB card in my Axim, and it seems to work fine. I
    couldn't tell you if it has a paper sticker or a printed on label, as that's
    not something I really paid attention to.
    --
    Clint
    wrote in message
> [...]
    > will drop and the better cameras/hand-helds/cards will released to the
    > market.
    >
    > Nevertheless, as I said, I feel that I did a worse deal. I searched the
    > Internet to see what advantages the Sandisk cards had over Toshibas,
    > and found out that Sandisks are reputed for their reliability... so are
    > the Toshibas. More of the search turned up that it was the Panasonic
    > brand which had the best reputation for speed because they had the best
    > access times because of the controller design. I even learnt that the
    > larger-capacity Standard SD Cards from Sandisk (512MB and above) had a
    > significantly higher read/write speed (than the 256-MB cards). For
    > example, their read speed of 7MB/s was somewhat close to the Sandisk
    > Ultra II which had a read speed of 10MB/s.
    >
    > So, can anyone tell me why it is good to have a Sandisk SD card and why

  11. Re: wearability of SanDisk or Toshiba SD card

    On 30 Jan 2006 16:29:36 -0800, "drocillo" wrote:

    >Thanks everyone for your replies. There remains a problem of longevity
    >of the contact pads, though. I like to insert the SD card into my
    >camera and into the PC reader many times per week. Is there a common
    >knowledge on which card have a better wearability ? For example,
    >Sandisk cards have a (gold ?) plating on their contacts which looks
    >cloudy (only in Sandisks). This "clouded" plating seems to wear out
    >faster than the plating of any other card. Do you guys agree ?

    After many years of using PCMCIA/SD/CF cards I'll tell you.....the
    device will die before the card does. I've never had trouble with
    the contacts.

  12. Re: SanDisk or Toshiba SD card ??

    Well Clint, your post has nothing to do with digital photography. Don't
    crosspost to this group, and we won't crosspost to yours.

    "Clint" wrote in message
> [...]
    >> will drop and the better cameras/hand-helds/cards will released to the
    >> market.
    >>
    >> Nevertheless, as I said, I feel that I did a worse deal. I searched the
    >> Internet to see what advantages the Sandisk cards had over Toshibas,
    >> and found out that Sandisks are reputed for their reliability... so are
    >> the Toshibas. More of the search turned up that it was the Panasonic
    >> brand which had the best reputation for speed because they had the best
    >> access times because of the controller design. I even learnt that the
    >> larger-capacity Standard SD Cards from Sandisk (512MB and above) had a
    >> significantly higher read/write speed (than the 256-MB cards). For
    >> example, their read speed of 7MB/s was somewhat close to the Sandisk
    >> Ultra II which had a read speed of 10MB/s.
    >>
    >> So, can anyone tell me why it is good to have a Sandisk SD card and why

  13. Re: SanDisk or Toshiba SD card ??

    "Doug Robbins" wrote in message
    > Well Clint, your post has nothing to do with digital photography.

    Ya, I've NEVER seen a digital camera with and SD card.

    > Don't crosspost to this group, and we won't crosspost to yours.

    STFU.

  14. Re: SanDisk or Toshiba SD card ??

    Hypocrite -> "Doug Robbins" wrote in message
    > Well Clint, your post has nothing to do with digital photography. Don't
    > crosspost to this group, and we won't crosspost to yours.

    Hi Hypocrite,

    Remember this thread from last June when you were more than happy to discuss
    SD card readers in kind (yours is the last reply in the thread, scroll down
    to the bottom):

    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...1aeb720093de4/

    I believe you recommend sandisk? Has your opinion changed Doug or is your
    recommendation still the same?

  15. Re: wearability of SanDisk or Toshiba SD card

    Durability?

    "drocillo" wrote in message
    news:1138667376.911773.182770@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Thanks everyone for your replies. There remains a problem of longevity
    > of the contact pads, though. I like to insert the SD card into my
    > camera and into the PC reader many times per week. Is there a common
    > knowledge on which card have a better wearability ? For example,
    > Sandisk cards have a (gold ?) plating on their contacts which looks
    > cloudy (only in Sandisks). This "clouded" plating seems to wear out
    > faster than the plating of any other card. Do you guys agree ?
    >
    > One can see the detailed pictures of cards and of their contacts at the
    > website
    > http://www.ixbt.com/storage/flashcard-test-p7-sd.shtml . There, the PNY
    > Technologies cards are rebadged Sandisk Standard cards. Also, one can
    > see pictures of more cards at
    > http://www.ixbt.com/storage/flashcar...12-sdmmc.shtml and
    > http://www.ixbt.com/storage/flashcard-test-p16-sd.shtml .
    >
    > Regards,
    > D.

  16. Re: wearability of SanDisk or Toshiba SD card

    > Durability?

    Perhaps he is wonder how they look when worn? Some people are very 'style'
    conscious. :-)

+ Reply to Thread