    Any helpful feedback appreciated,
    Matt

  2. Re: Restoring Palm Pilot 1000

    On 2006-01-29, mwmiller314@gmail.com wrote:
    > A Palm, Pilot 1000 I have ceased working several years ago. I recently
    > wanted to determine if it was still any good. I replaced the batteries
    > with brand new ones a battery tester shows are good, and I was careful
    > to place them in properly and turn them repeatedly to help them gain
    > contact with the metal contacts, but nothing would allow the Pilot to
    > turn on. Is there any further action that could restore it to working?

    I assume you tried to reset it by sticking a pin the reset hole? I've
    had Palms appear dead until a reset. If that fails, then you have to
    assume some kind of hardware problem.

    Now, you can open it up and try unhooking and reseating the cables.
    There are directions on how to do this on the web. Sometimes the cable
    to the screen works loose and the Palm "looks" dead even though it's
    running inside.

    If that doesn't work, the problem is lower-level than that and you get
    to break out the soldering iron...

    --
    Sincerely,

    Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

    "There is no cause so noble that it will not attract some kooks."
    - Larry Niven

  3. Re: Restoring Palm Pilot 1000

    Reset did nothing. Having trouble finding directions for opening and
    handling the cables. Any suggestions on key word searches? I entered a
    combination of "pilot 1000" screen and cables into google, but the
    results I viewed were unhelpful.

  4. Re: Restoring Palm Pilot 1000

    On 2006-02-06, mwmiller314@gmail.com wrote:
    > Reset did nothing. Having trouble finding directions for opening and
    > handling the cables. Any suggestions on key word searches? I entered a
    > combination of "pilot 1000" screen and cables into google, but the
    > results I viewed were unhelpful.

    This should do it:

    http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2...v?Screen=CTGY&
    Store_Code=GHT&Category_Code=_PROTAKE

    Basically, just follow those directions, then reverse 'em. See if the
    cable's loose, or just needs a little cleaning, etc. If that doesn't
    help, I don't know what your next step would be...

    --
    Sincerely,

    Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

    Microsoft Windows - Putting new limits on productivity.

+ Reply to Thread