is it worth getting a TH55 on EBay...? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on is it worth getting a TH55 on EBay...? - Palmtop ; I know Sony aren't making them anymore, but is it worthwhile to get a Sony PEG-TH55 Clie on EBay? What are others' opinions? Thanks...

  1. is it worth getting a TH55 on EBay...?

    I know Sony aren't making them anymore, but is it worthwhile to get a
    Sony PEG-TH55 Clie on EBay?
    What are others' opinions?
    Thanks

  2. Re: is it worth getting a TH55 on EBay...?

    On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 19:23:32 -0000, "©®" wrote:

    >I know Sony aren't making them anymore, but is it worthwhile to get a
    >Sony PEG-TH55 Clie on EBay?
    >What are others' opinions?
    >Thanks

    I love my TH-55. Best PDA I've ever owned. If you can get one for a
    reasonable price, go for it.
    --
    Mike Koenecke
    to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"

  3. Re: is it worth getting a TH55 on EBay...?

    Per ??:
    >I know Sony aren't making them anymore, but is it worthwhile to get a
    >Sony PEG-TH55 Clie on EBay?
    >What are others' opinions?

    If I'd thought of that, I would have bought one instead of the TX I got.

    I had the Clie NX70 and it was great. My only regret was that it had a few
    features I never used (like the camera) - and the TH55 seemed to be about the
    same piece without those features.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  4. Re: is it worth getting a TH55 on EBay...?

    Mike Koenecke wrote:

    >On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 19:23:32 -0000, "©®" wrote:
    >
    >>I know Sony aren't making them anymore, but is it worthwhile to get a
    >>Sony PEG-TH55 Clie on EBay?
    >>What are others' opinions?
    >>Thanks

    >I love my TH-55. Best PDA I've ever owned. If you can get one for a
    >reasonable price, go for it.

    I don't (currently) deal on EBay BUT if I could find one or two
    locally for sale I would snap them up ... assuming a "reasonable"
    price. I don't see anything currently that has the features.

    http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
    SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.

  5. Re: is it worth getting a TH55 on EBay...?

    I just bought TH55 from ebay last week and it's on it's way on a boat
    to Europe at the moment. Price (with shipping from Toronto) is about
    $270(CAD) (I find it reasonable- the device itself was bided to
    207$(US))
    Belive it or not, it took me 2 bloody years to find one at the "right
    spot" (have relative in Canada) and in great shape. Unfortunatly, it's
    American model so he does not have Bluetooth, but I would probably use
    it only for GPS anyway, and that's not *that* important to me.

    Anyway... if it's so crucial to you to know every single detail why I'm
    so crazy about TH55, I can write a few words when I'll have little more
    free time, but, bottom line: the most best PDA(!!! - I'm don't need
    some gamestation substitute - I need it what it's made for) you can
    find on the market, even today... three years after.

    p.s.
    If there's a chance, try to grab one with BT present (European
    model)... you never know when you'll need it (I waited so much that I
    didn't want to miss a chance, otherwise I would be hunting /E model
    too)

    p.p.s.
    I would like to get in contact with those of you "TH55 brothers" soo
    feel free to drop me a mail... promise I won't bother you (much ...
    but if I get stuck or have some question regarding this little peace of
    art, I would be glad to have someone I can ask for help.

    Have fun!

    --
    Tomislav Begovic
    from Croatia - land of healthy cows and crazy people

  6. Re: is it worth getting a TH55 on EBay...?

    In article
    <1138499781.846591.54350@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    tbegovic@gmail.com wrote:

    > I just bought TH55 from ebay last week and it's on it's way on a boat
    > to Europe at the moment. Price (with shipping from Toronto) is about
    > $270(CAD) (I find it reasonable- the device itself was bided to
    > 207$(US))
    > Belive it or not, it took me 2 bloody years to find one at the "right
    > spot" (have relative in Canada) and in great shape. Unfortunatly, it's
    > American model so he does not have Bluetooth, but I would probably use
    > it only for GPS anyway, and that's not *that* important to me.
    >
    > Anyway... if it's so crucial to you to know every single detail why I'm
    > so crazy about TH55, I can write a few words when I'll have little more
    > free time, but, bottom line: the most best PDA(!!! - I'm don't need
    > some gamestation substitute - I need it what it's made for) you can
    > find on the market, even today... three years after.
    >
    > p.s.
    > If there's a chance, try to grab one with BT present (European
    > model)... you never know when you'll need it (I waited so much that I
    > didn't want to miss a chance, otherwise I would be hunting /E model
    > too)
    >
    > p.p.s.
    > I would like to get in contact with those of you "TH55 brothers" soo
    > feel free to drop me a mail... promise I won't bother you (much ...
    > but if I get stuck or have some question regarding this little peace of
    > art, I would be glad to have someone I can ask for help.

    Look in on the 1src.com TH55 Forums. Lots of good archived
    information on the TH55, and you will even find active TH55 users
    there.

    > Have fun!
    >
    > --
    > Tomislav Begovic
    > from Croatia - land of healthy cows and crazy people

  7. Re: is it worth getting a TH55 on EBay...?

    ©® wrote:
    > I know Sony aren't making them anymore, but is it worthwhile to get a
    > Sony PEG-TH55 Clie on EBay?
    > What are others' opinions?
    > Thanks

    The only drawback I can see to a good used TH55 is that the battery is
    quite possibly past its prime. My TH55's battery recently started going
    flaky on me, so I gave the Sony a well-deserved retirement, and replaced
    it with a TX. After some initial fumbling and grumbling, I'm once again
    happy.

    Jeff

  8. Re: is it worth getting a TH55 on EBay...?

    On Mon 30 Jan 2006 12:13:44a, jeff , wrote:

    > The only drawback I can see to a good used TH55 is that the battery
    > is quite possibly past its prime. My TH55's battery recently started
    > going flaky on me, so I gave the Sony a well-deserved retirement, and
    > replaced it with a TX. After some initial fumbling and grumbling,
    > I'm once again happy.

    But on eBay you can buy a replacement battery for the TH55 for about
    $10 to $15 -- which includes shipping and handling. I don't know how
    hard it is to change the battery, but with a little care it shouldn't
    be that hard. I've fixed a couple Palms and my Treo (plus replaced a
    battery in my Treo) and I'm not particularly gifted when it comes to
    working on intricate devices.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  9. Re: is it worth getting a TH55 on EBay...?

    How would the Sony and TX compare ?
    With BT+wireless plus non volatile memory the TX seems hard to beat.
    Besides, being more current suggests getting more out of the Palm
    platform.
    Thanks, Jorge

  10. Re: is it worth getting a TH55 on EBay...?

    On Mon 30 Jan 2006 03:49:07a, bfgr@globo.com, wrote:

    > How would the Sony and TX compare ?
    > With BT+wireless plus non volatile memory the TX seems hard to beat.
    > Besides, being more current suggests getting more out of the Palm
    > platform.
    > Thanks, Jorge

    I don't know how they would compare. I was just making the point that a
    weak battery shouldn't be the determining factor, since they can be
    cheaply replaced. I've always used fairly low-end PDAs myself. Before
    they become too hard to find, I plan to buy an SL/SJ range Clié because
    I like jog dial and high resolution.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  11. Re: is it worth getting a TH55 on EBay...?

    wrote in message
    news:1138618147.643101.31800@g44g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > How would the Sony and TX compare ?

    This may or may not be an issue.

    > With BT+wireless plus non volatile memory the TX seems hard to beat.

    Perhaps - I guess that depends on how routine you are when it comes to
    keeping the battery charged. Don't get me wrong, non volatile memory is a
    good thing (assuming it's as quick as ordinary memory, but for almost all
    people the difference isn't material) but it's only especially relevant if
    you regularily run your device battery right down and when it shuts down,
    you keep on prodding the buttons to see if it'll power up _or_ you leave it
    for a few weeks on end.

    From the sound of it, neither the T|X or TH55 would be left alone for a few
    days let alone weeks.

    > Besides, being more current suggests getting more out of the Palm
    > platform.

    Perhaps, but again this'll depend on what applications you run on the
    device. If the TH55 runs what you need, it'll suffice. If the T|X can run
    something that you need but it's not supported on the TH55, or is
    compromised, then go for the T|X.

    When I was replacing my Tungsten W with another device, my choice was
    limited to anything running PalmOS with Bluetooth. Using the Palm Universal
    Connector (a whole host of cables and accessories, plus my wife has a
    Tungsten T3) was useful.

    But my choice of PalmOS wasn't because of a deep rooted dislike of PocketPC,
    no, it's because I have a couple of applications that I can only run on
    PalmOS and didn't fancy getting an emulator for a PPC device.

    The moral: get the software you need, then the hardware to run it...

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  12. Re: is it worth getting a TH55 on EBay...?

    > am about to receive my TX and I confess that price + function reached
    > such an attractive level that I simply jumped to it.

    My thoughts, abut my TH55, exactly!

  13. Re: is it worth getting a TH55 on EBay...?

    I brought a second hand unit and I am not having any problem at all with the
    battery.

    Anyhow you can always get an spare battery from 3rd party resellers for 25$.

    The functionalities of the TH55 are great and the price should be better.

    Best regards,

    Fistus

    "jeff" escribió en el mensaje
    > ©® wrote:
    >> I know Sony aren't making them anymore, but is it worthwhile to get a
    >> Sony PEG-TH55 Clie on EBay?
    >> What are others' opinions?
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > The only drawback I can see to a good used TH55 is that the battery is
    > quite possibly past its prime. My TH55's battery recently started going
    > flaky on me, so I gave the Sony a well-deserved retirement, and replaced
    > it with a TX. After some initial fumbling and grumbling, I'm once again
    > happy.
    >
    > Jeff

+ Reply to Thread